What games are you playing now?

I've finished the main plot of Arkham Origins. It was alright, but not in the same league as the other games. It's buggy, somehow broke controls that had worked well for two games, and had some terribly designed boss battles, but still worth a play. However, I never, ever, want to see Bane in another game. In fact, I never want to see Bane again, period.

I was really surprised when Warner Bros decided to go with a different developer for Arkham Origins. The first two games did so well that you would think they'd be smart enough to not screw with the recipe.

I just got it for cheap, but I probably won't be playing it anytime soon. I still haven't even finished the first game. Oh, and I couldn't believe the fracking install size.. 27GB?! Those better be some outstanding visuals at least. :)

I was really surprised when Warner Bros decided to go with a different developer for Arkham Origins. The first two games did so well that you would think they'd be smart enough to not screw with the recipe.

I just got it for cheap, but I probably won't be playing it anytime soon. I still haven't even finished the first game. Oh, and I couldn't believe the fracking install size.. 27GB?! Those better be some outstanding visuals at least. :)

Well, Rocksteady's still doing the real sequel, as I understand it. This is just a side game using the same engine.

I think the real install's only (ha!) 17GB. As for the visuals, my wife actually looked over my shoulder and asked why it looked worse than the last one, and she says that as someone who doesn't play games. The graphics aren't bad. Like everything else, they just lack the polish of the earlier games. It's still worth playing if you like the series, but I wouldn't recommend anyone pay full price for it. Of course, I never recommend anyone pay full price for a major game. :p

Well I'm about 10 hours into Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes now, and it's just not really grabbing me. Maybe I'm playing it the wrong way or maybe I'm just not in the mood for 4X right now. Either way, I think it's time to move on.

I'm thinking about something with a little more action and an open environment. I'm eyeing Sleeping Dogs and the Saints Row series. Is there anyone here who has played both and could compare them?

Well I'm about 10 hours into Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes now, and it's just not really grabbing me. Maybe I'm playing it the wrong way or maybe I'm just not in the mood for 4X right now. Either way, I think it's time to move on.

I'm thinking about something with a little more action and an open environment. I'm eyeing Sleeping Dogs and the Saints Row series. Is there anyone here who has played both and could compare them?

Sleeping Dogs if you want a more serious take and you like the whole asian theme with a nice martial arts combat system.

Saints Row is much more extreme - and they get progressively more "out there" from sequel to sequel.

Personally, I don't care much for Saints Row - as I tend to prefer more grounded stories and less ridiculous over-the-top action, but that's not to say SD doesn't have lots of action, it's just not as extreme.

Does either game have any kind of stealth or detective elements?

You're challenging my memory :)

I do believe there are stealth aspects to both - but I don't remember the details. I don't seem to recall them being particularly elaborate or key to the experience.

As for "detective" elements, I'm not sure what you mean.

Sleeping Dogs has quite a law enforcement vibe, but I don't remember much in the way of detection, beyond some stuff where you find signals to trace or whatever that was.

I tend to forget details like this.

If you want a "detective" game in a semi-GTA style (though much more linear), then I can HIGHLY recommend LA Noire.

Thanks, I'll probably give Sleeping Dogs a try. I'm not much into the Asian theme (unless we're talking about women), but I'm sure I can get over that.

I've looked at LA Noire in the past, and it doesn't seem like something I'd really get into. I already heard about the linearity and that it's also somewhat repetitive. I also have very little interest in that setting.

There's not really much in the way of stealth or detectiving in the Saints Row games, but I still heartily recommend them. They've embraced all of the lunacy that the GTA series has turned its back on, to the point that the most recent one is pretty much just a ridiculously over-the-top superhero game.

There's always the Batman Arkham games. They've, quite obviously, got stealth and detective elements in them. :p

Never played saint's row games, too off the wall for me with giant dildo weapons and such.

Sleeping dogs is excellent IMO. It does have stealth kills, hacking alarms, cameras, picking locks, etc. You play as an undercover cop trying to balance your good and bad deeds to win favor (xp) with each side to advance in their respective skill trees.

If you like batman combat then you will like sleeping dogs combat as it's very similar minus batman skills obviously, but add the ability to use the environment more, such as sticking there heads in exhaust fans or throwing them through giant wall fish tanks etc.

theres a lot of fun stuff to do and the story's actually pretty solid. Worth a play IMO.

Sleeping Dogs is great and the story isn't bad though if you don't do a lot of the side activities it doesn't take long to beat.

The earlier Saints Row game are more serious than the last 2 editions, and 2 is quite large.

The only 2 detective type games I can think of were mentioned already, Batman and L.A. Noire. I haven't gotten too far into Noire but I have enjoyed what I've seen so far. I can highly recommend the first 2 Batman games and they definitely have fairly heavy use of stealth and detective stuff.

still trying to finish Tomb Raider 2013, it's a great game that i didnt get around to finishing before my 6 months sleep. I'm just glad to be playing something, i'm happy that I seem to have my gaming spirit back, yayy!

I'm about a third of the way through Alpha Protocol. And I've had a couple of battles / bosses where I couldn't sneak and do non-lethal hand-to-hand takedowns. Not too annoying, since I have the chain shot skill. I'm liking the game quite a bit, but …

Sadly I'm a bit disappointed by the dialog and reputation system and effects on choices and consequences in combination with the checkpoint save system. It makes trying out different choices too repetitive and tedious. It's left me guessing so much that I've resorted to walkthroughs to figure out responses. Don't like having timers in my dialog. I prefer to think things through. This game doesn't allow it nor does it enable trying different approaches without a lot of needless tedious repetition. Black spot on a good game.

It was installed om my machine for months and finally after uninstalling crap I've tried Dishonored. And now can't let it out of my hands. Can't remember the last game that had this impact on me - have to go to sleep, but let's clear just one more area. And it's not RPG!

It was installed om my machine for months and finally after uninstalling crap I've tried Dishonored. And now can't let it out of my hands. Can't remember the last game that had this impact on me - have to go to sleep, but let's clear just one more area. And it's not RPG!

I'd call it an adventure game with RPG-lite elements - Maybe we should get HiddenX's scale out to see.

Adapted from HiddenX's The Witcher grading :
Part 2 in next post)

Lets measure the crpg-ingredients for "Dishonored":

To determine if a game should apply to a certain level, all the mentioned demands must be fulfilled in that level and the levels below.

CRPG Categories: Story, Character, NPC-Interaction, Gameworld, Manipulation, Combat.

Other interesting categories: Graphics, Sound, Game length, Difficulty, Perspective and Play-style.

Each category is divided into 6 frames from "none" to "Heavy" CRGP-elements giving a score from 0 to 5 points.

A games points from each category will be added together and then divided with 6 and will classify it's CRPG-score to the following list:

RPG-Elements Score 0 - < 1 point => "No CRPG"
RPG-Elements Score 1 - < 2 points => "CRPG ultra light"
RPG-Elements Score 2- < 3 points => "CRPG light"
RPG-Elements Score 3 - < 4 points => "CRPG"
RPG-Elements Score 4 - 5 Points => "CRPG Heavy"

The RPG-element categories and their 6 scores/frames (STORY, CHARACTER, NPC-INTERACTION, GAMEWORLD, MANIPULATION, COMBAT)

STORY:
questions:
- How many quests, side quests, puzzles, riddles are in the game ?
A few side-quests, several puzzles and a few riddles.

- How great is the non-linearity of the game - can the quests be solved in more than one way ?
The side quests can usually be solved in one of two ways, the main quests as well.
I'm not sure if different pathways to the same quest "ending" count as multiple ways, but since you can usually get into missions via rooftop, sewers, and other ways, I'll count it as multiple ways.
In this game it's the journey that counts, not the ending.

- How many side-stories, legends in books or from NPC's are told ?
There are many lore-enhancing books and side-stories which sometimes even open up new ways of resolving the storyline. The NPCs talk to each other about different things and even tell jokes.

- Are there different game-endings ?
Not really.

is it a game with many choices and consequences ?
Yes

No: 0 Points:
-The story is told in the beginning, and finished in the end, AND is not changeable during the game.

Ultra light: 1 point:
-A Few ”events” (NPC’s, happenings (Disasters, divine influences etc), Full movies interludes etc.) evolves the story, but still in a given path.

Light: 2 points:
-The story is developing through chapters or milestones, which still have an almost fixed path.
-A very few side stories/quests, OR noticeably different paths you can take to advance the same story, are available.

Medium: 3 points:
-The story develops as the game proceeds, meaning new information’s/events contribute for developing of the story on a frequent basis.
-Events (See above) impact on the story are considerable,
-The gamers actions have considerable impact on the development of the story.
-More than one path is possible in the ”main” story. Not necessarily more endings, just the possibility to choose between different “story” path’s of the “main story”. (Side quests not directly related to main story don’t count).
-A few side stories/quests besides the “main story” must be available.

More: 4 points:
-A few different endings are possible
-More than 2 ways to go through the story
-Lots of side stories/quests are required.
-Quests or tasks got often more than one solution!

Heavy: 5 points:
-Very open ended, with very high replay value regarding the story alone.
-Many events will contribute to many side / main story topics and respond to many different approaches from the player.
-Lots of books or other materials can give additional information’s about world for the interested player.

Dishonoured : I'd give it a 3 (maybe 2.5)

CHARACTER:
questions:
- How many different characters can you play ? (race, gender, profession, …)
Only the Lord Protector

- How many different skills can be choosen for your character(s) ?
8 I think (magic) skills, several weapons upgrades and an optics upgrade

- How many different traits can be choosen for your character(s) ?
no traits, as far as I remember

- How many levels can be reached ?
Not level-based, but rune based.

- How much can the character(s) be changed at each level ?
Every skill can be upgraded using runes up to twice, the weapons upgrades can happen up to three times and the optics twice too.

- How many guilds, groups can be joined ?
Only one, automatically joined

- How many different ranks in these guilds can be achieved ?
No ranking, all quest based

- Can you get a reputation ?
Yes, your actions definitely impact characters' attitudes towards you.

No: 0 Points:
-No development other than a better weapon, armour and a few pre-distributed skill points after each chapter / milestone.

-Max 2 points to distribute on the character(s) abilities (Attributes /spells / treats / skills) each time they develop levels and a maximum of 10 upgrades(Levels) of the character(s). Learning by doing covering the same amount of development is acceptable too.

-Max 5 points to distribute on the character(s) at least 5+ different abilities (Attributes /spells / treats / skills) each time they develop levels and at least 10+ upgrades(Levels) of the character(s). Learning by doing covering the same amount of development is acceptable too.
-A minimum of social development / regards in the game-world societies is necessary) (Wiping out a society/guild is not counting)

-More than 5+ points to distribute on the character(s) at least 10+ different abilities (Attributes /spells / treats / skills) each time they develop levels and at least 15+ upgrades(Levels) of the character(s). Learning by doing covering the same amount of development is acceptable too.
-The characters can have considerable social impact on more than one society / guild. (Wiping out a society/guild is not counting)

More : 4 points:
-Now a party of at least 3 fully controlled characters should be possible,
-The choice from different professions / races should give a combination of at least 10 possible different characters (Note: Different mug-shots don’t count).
-Considerable social impact on more than 2 societies / guilds is possible. (Wiping out a society/guild is not counting)

-More than 10+ points to distribute on the character(s) at least 15+abilities (Attributes /spells / treats / skills) each time they develop levels and at least 20+ upgrades(Levels) of the character(s). Learning by doing covering the same amount of development is acceptable too.
-+15 different races/ professions to choose from.
-Plenty of societies/guilds which the characters have a social impact on. (Wiping out a society/guild is not counting)

Dishonored : I'd give this a 2 (or 2.5)

NPC-INTERACTION:
- How many dialogues are in the game ?
many

- How many dialogue options do you have ?
Few

- Are these options depending on your skills, alignment or deeds ?
No

- Have your answers an influence on the game ?
Sometimes

- Have the NPC's a life of their own ?
Yes

- Is trading available / is it balanced ?
Yes, and depends on your playstyle. If you are a completionist you will find every bit of money and you can buy out the entire store(s). If you play normally, you can still buy everything you need. Could probably be a bit more balanced.

No: 0 points:
-Few NPC's most only merchants.
-Pre-determined dialogues.

-The dialogues now have a few options, but it still contribute to the same story, AND each choice is reversible in consequence.

-NPC's are presented in small societies, AND some of them can make a difference in further development of the game.

-NPC's acts truly as a part of a bigger community.
-NPC's in each society are much aware about social status also toward your characters.
-More than one society with NPC's are present in the world.

-There are fleshed out dialogue trees,
-Choices is most final and irreversible.
-NPC’s have considerable impact on the amount of Main / side- stories.

-NPC's are aware of the continuously developing situation in the game-world, AND react clearly to the gamers actions and deeds.
-More than 2 bigger societies of NPC's must be available.
-Reputation, skills, alignment, attitude etc. have considerable impact on the NPC reaction.

Dishonored : I'd give it a 2

GAMEWORLD:
-The task to get from A to B has no or few options to go away from a fixed physical path.
-The game-world only inhabits monsters and a few merchants.
-The world is without (none monster) societies.

-Still a strict physical path, but with a few small societies on your way.

-A few areas are optional on your path each chapter / milestone.
-Societies will give some quest / story material.

-There are at least several physical path's to choose between, AND more will open up as the game proceeds.
-Societies must give the feeling of a live community, with their own daily business, AND not just a few NPC's waiting for the hero's to come along and pass on a few quests.
-The size of the game-world must be considerable.

-Societies must be very different and have strong relation to the game-world and each other.
-We are no longer talking about a few path's when exploring the world.
-The appearance of monsters and societies must make common sense.

-The world is totally open for extreme freedom to explore, AND it's your own task to decide if your character(s) are good enough
to take on the different part of the world.
-The diversity of the game-world environment must be significant.
-Day & night cycles, and different weather conditions and /or different seasons.

Dishonored : I'd give ths a 2 as well.

Last edited:
Baldur's Gate EE

I'm at the point now where I usually quit playing. I only finished this game once - back when it was released. But I must have played it dozens of times since then - and often I get close to the end before I end up giving up.

I'm at BG - the city - now. I find it bogs down around this point - because the city is vast and I don't like how the layout works. Too much running back and forth.

The one thing I HATE about BG is the pathfinding in dungeons and small areas. I've set it to 400000 - and still it sucks so bad. Another thing I hate is the amount of crap you find that you feel compelled to pick up, because much of it is quite valuable - gems in particular. I feel like I spend a good third of my time juggling stuff between 6 characters and opening containers - and I'm usually pretty good at not obsessing about items.

Anyway, the game is still fun - and I have to admit I think the EE additions come together better than I gave them credit for. The new characters have a reasonable amount of spoken dialogue and quest material associated with them, and that does help make the game feel fresher. I still think it's a money grab, but it could have been much worse.

As always, the plan is to get through EE and start playing BG2. As I've said before, I've never completed BG2 - or even gotten that far into it. Not crazy about the linear structure - but I have to check it all out just once.

I hope I can persist this time :)

DA you ruined my posting :(

MANIPULTION:
questions
- Can you manipulate the gameworld ? (levers, buttons, secret doors,…)
yes

- Can the gameworld manipulate your character(s) ? (traps, teleports, …)
Yes, there are traps, but that's mostly it.

- Can you pick up items, herbs, raw materials and then mix new potions, make new weapons,… ?
No, items can either be valuable or they can be weapons/ammo

-Almost no action possible besides walk/run and combat, except maybe a very few items.
-Game-world itself is very static.

Ultra light: 1 points:
-Very few limited interactions besides walking and combat.
- A few chest barrels is scattered through the game.

-There are a few weapons, armours, items in the game.
-Traps, levers, keys and alike is available in it's simple presence.

-The game-world have a considerable amount of weapons, armours, items, skills, spells in significant variations.
-The things to do will quickly fill up more than one page in your journal, AND keep it that way for most of the game.
-Custom items must be available. (Custom items are items that can’t directly be found in the game-world, the player needs to either combine more items or process an item with (Fire, acid, poison, magic, tool-masters etc (repairing items don’t count)). It’s not limited to weapons and armour only)

-You can see /influence changes in the environment, OR use it either to create/ manipulate things or get strategic possibilities in combat. (Summarised: Game-world environment itself offers several interactivity possibilities: (Chopping trees, make fire, diving in water, hide behind objects, move/destroy/manipulate objects, etc.)
– A few different ways of making custom items must be available. (See above).

- Many different ways of making custom items must be available. (See above).
-Alchemist, spell-casters, smiths, herbalist and other item collectors are in heaven due to the tons of items for manipulation.
-Game-world environment itself offers many interactivity possibilities: (Chopping trees, make fire, diving in water, hide behind objects, move/destroy/manipulate objects, etc.)

Dishonored : I'd give this a 1.5

COMBAT:
- how many tactics, strategies, spells/counterspells you have to use to survive in combat ?
(remark: this has nothing to do with real time vs. turn based combat. example: Rage of Mages: Real time and very tactical)
It is important to use the right fighting style, the right potion(s) and the right magic sign aginst one specific enemy ->
Most enemies fight in similar ways, some enemies add variety like dogs and music-guys. Several different types of spells can be used. Tactics however are not that complex.

- Are there many different monsters, enemies …
4-5 types I think, so no.

- how good/complex is the enemy AI ?
medium

- Is it critical for combat to have a good equipment management ?
Yes, but only if playing as a combat-type character.

- Do you need resistances against poison, fire, … to survive ?
Depends on difficulty levels. If playing on very hard every point of life matters, so yes, otherwise no.

- is the combat balanced ?
Quite balanced as your character is already supposed to be a proficient fighter. On easier or normal difficulties, winning fights is quite easy. Playing on very hard can be a challenge.

-You put your character(s) into position and they solve combat on their own, or the combat result is only affected by your skills on the keyboard.

-Real-time combat only without any pause options.
-Options are limited to the choice of the opponent to attack.

-Character skills and/or players strategic abilities have a noticeable more impact on the outcome of the battles too.

-Players can more decide the pace of the battle,
-Strategic positions of the party is more vital, and the options for each character is more plentiful.
-At this point it's also important that monsters offers some diversity not only in numbers, but also in strategies necessary to win.
-Monsters AI are more than attacking the closest enemy!
- There must be more issues for your characters during combat, than loosing or giving hit-points. Ex. Poisoning, paralyse, curse etc.

-Their must be alternatives to swing your sword and cast a spell during combat Ex. Skills, traps, spells, treats, or items to use in battles.
-Different strategies are necessary for survival.

-Each characters can be controlled individual down to the smallest detail and in any pace wanted.
-The monsters must offer a lot of difference both in numbers, abilities, battle environment, which must offer quite a diversity in battle approaches.
- Monsters AI are considerable.

Dishonored : I'd give this a 1.5

OTHER NON-RPG RELATED INTERESTING CATEGORIES:

GRAPHICS:

An “Year” of evaluation should follow the graphics score!
We try not to express how beautiful the graphics is (It's difficult to separate entirely), just how many specific graphic technology elements it contains (Like shadows, lightning etc), and it's standard compared to others at the time of the review!

0 points: Text only.
1 point: Static pictures, and/ or low 2D resolution in relation to other games in the year of evaluation.
2 points: Higher 2D resolution in relation to other games in the year of evaluation.
3 points: Mediocre 3D or 2D with up to date standard compared to others in relation to other games in the year of evaluation.
4 points: Fully 3D with up to date standard compared to others in relation to other games in the year of evaluation.
5 points: Fully 3D. Absolute among the best in it's category, with a few ground breaking content compared to others at the time it is reviewed.

Dishonored : I'd give this a 3 (maybe 3.5) (year 2013)

SOUND:

This determines the amount and the degree of acoustic technologies in the sound, not directly the quality or realism of the sound, and not how many different sound boards it covers.

0 Points: No sound.
1 point: Mono sound.
2 points: Very sparse and basic Stereo sound
3 points: Plentiful Stereo sound
4 points: Support of more than 2 speakers, and considerable environmental sounds.
5 points: Fully real surround sound support (At least 5.1), with ultra real 3D feeling

Dishonored : I'd give this a 3.5 even though I only played with stereo sound, I assume it supports more than 2 speakers

LENGTH:

An average length is used for calculation, a second score in “( )” for maximum hours searching under every stone and solving every quest could be mentioned if it brings the game into another score-area.

0 points: Under 8 hours.
1 point: 8 - 20 hours.
2 points: 20- 50 hours.
3 points: 50- 80 hours.
4 points: 80 - 150 hours.
5 points: over 150 hours.

Dishonored : Can only talk about my gamestyle, but I played for about 20 hours on the main campaign. I didn't finish the DLC campaigns in part because it felt samey. I assume it doesn't last longer than the main one.
So let's say say 20-50.
2 points.

DIFFICULTY:

0 points: No brain teasers at all, only walk /run and hack 'n slash
1 point: Easy brain teasers that don't slow the game pace down considerable.
2 points: Some problems (Riddles, events, combat, NPC's etc) can make you stop for a short while until you find the relative easy solution!
3 points: Not all problems are obvious in solution, but there are more possibilities to get help. The amount of problems must also be considerable.
4 points: Some problems can't be solved without help/things from other places or without some in vain tries first!
5 points: The game is loaded with more or less hard problems, and many problems can only be solved by extensive brain use!

Dishonored : I'd give this a 2 due to some of the possible special treasure finds and one mission which was a riddle.

PERSPECTIVE:

A Non-score category:

TXT: No perspective (e.g. no graphics), text games.
FIX: Fixed viewpoint (Not changeable).
FLEX: Flexible distance/orientation . The viewpoint distance can be changed and/or the screen can be rotated.
ISO: Isometric view ( Any angle between vertical top-down and 1.st person view, but still seen from above the party/ characters.
SHOULDER: The close overhead / shoulder view, where the gamers viewpoint follow the character(s) heading, with a look just above the head/shoulders of your character(s), and the character(s) can be seen in the button of the picture.
FP: The 1.st person view where gamers viewpoint is the same as looking out of the eyes of the character(s)
BIRD: From the sky the players has a vertical down view point on the game-world.
SIDE: View points like Platform games or the elder Kings/Space quest games

Dishonored : FP

PLAYSTYLE:

A non-score category.

SP: Single player
MP: Multiplayer
OP: Online play possible
MMO: Massive multiplayer online!
Co: Co-operative multiplayer possibility
PvP: Player versus player mode in multiplayer mode.
P: Parties possible.
S: Single character game

Dishonored: SP/S

TECHNICAL STATE
Dishonored: Didn't test on anything but my machine and didn't do the research. Runs fine on mine without any stutters though :
Win 8.1
i7-4700MQ
GT 765M
8GB RAM

Conclusion Dishonored:

RPG Factors: Story: 2.5-3, Character: 2-2.5, NPC-Interaction: 2, Gameworld: 2, Manipulation: 1.5, Combat: 1.5.
RPG Score:= 2.5+2+2+2+1.5+1.5 = 1.92 => "CRPG ultra light" or with higher scores "CRPG light"
Other Factors: Graphics: 3-3.5 (2013), Sound: 3.5, Length: 2, Difficulty: 2, Perspective: FP, Style: SP-S.

Bottom line:
A very good game for stealth and adventure fans. Cool main character, very good story with different paths to objectives, a few interesting npcs,
I would certainly suggest a stealth play through before playing it as a combat character.

Thanks go to HiddenX for this.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't yet have the ability to predict people posting huge posts while I write my own.

I'm sorry, I don't yet have the ability to predict people posting huge posts while I write my own.

Talking out of turn...that's a paddling. Looking out the window...that's a paddling. Staring at my sandals...that's a paddling. Paddling the school canoe...ooh, you better believe that's a paddling
- Jasper Beardly

I'm playing through BG2 EE. Desperately clinging on Ch2 by trying to avoid making a choice that I really have no information to make. I'm almost compulsively going through the companion and area quests. I especially want to be done with the companions I don't like to find a more or less permanent party composition before I tackle the main quest. There's a lot of good content in Athkatla but I feel my RPG experience is working against me as I can't enjoy it naturally. Hopefully the latter chapters will have enough content because by that time I'll have cleared most of the random stuff.

Back
Top Bottom