Writing for RPGWatch

@DArt: It has a skirmish mode, that plays like an RTS, it has map battles that are TBS. Both can be played against the AI or real oppnents. A maximum of four players can play. And it has debates and activities on the ship that are RPGish. The most dominant RPG element is choice and consequence. The other is upgrading your dragon skills and your army. The RPG part of the game is available in single player only.

@Kalniel: Perfect, and you have time to play this game in the next weeks and come up with a review not too far in the future?

I have two review keys, so I would like to have two candidates that both write something. They can also decide to each play only a part of the game.

@Kalniel: Perfect, and you have time to play this game in the next weeks and come up with a review not too far in the future?
Yes. I'm busy this weekend, but apart from that my evenings/weekends are mostly free. I'm just coming to the end of playing through XCOM so it's also good timing from a needing to find a game to play perspective (and XCOM is also vaguely in the 'interesting strategy with other bits to the game' category).

I have two review keys, so I would like to have two candidates that both write something. They can also decide to each play only a part of the game.
I will definitely play (and write about) the single player campaign - that is my primary interest in these games because I need to be able to pause and deal with other things at short notice, but if I'm drawn to the multiplayer or skirmish modes I will write about them as well (ie I'll treat it as I would any other game).

Well, I guess I could give it a shot. Deadline? Obligations?

I could focus on Skirmish mode - as that's what I normally do with games like this.

That said, if anyone else wants to do it - and one who's more into the genre, I'll gladly step aside.

We don't have a deadline. The point where you think you can write something decent about it is good (as long as it is in the next few weeks).
The obligation is that if I give you the key, you should feel comfortable writing about it and actually make an article. That could be an article together with Kalniel.

We don't have a deadline. The point where you think you can write something decent about it is good (as long as it is in the next few weeks).
The obligation is that if I give you the key, you should feel comfortable writing about it and actually make an article. That could be an article together with Kalniel.

Ok, sure.

Let's see if others are more interested - but if not, I'll write an article about it.

As for joining it with what Kalniel writes - I have no problem with that, and I'll try to focus on the Skirmish if he does the Campaign.

Ok, sure.

Let's see if others are more interested - but if not, I'll write an article about it.

As for joining it with what Kalniel writes - I have no problem with that, and I'll try to focus on the Skirmish if he does the Campaign.

Go for it. For all I know you are one of the few competitive multiplayer gamers in this place, so your input on the MP part should be very valuable.

Go for it. For all I know you are one of the few competitive multiplayer gamers in this place, so your input on the MP part should be very valuable.

If that part is playable - I'll gladly give it a go. Though I'm not really competitive anymore.

After investing a ridiculous amount of time and effort into being "DPS hero" in WoW - I've sort of lost my taste for competition :)

But I can probably offer some insight about MP features and appeal.

Got my key - and I'm downloading now... I hope I can contribute something of value after spending a good chunk of time with it.

I've been quite busy at work and with my own project… I'll do what I can to get some decent time with this early next week, so I can write a review.

Sorry for the delay!

We are in no hurry. We hardly ever are early with our reviews, so next week is fine.

I've previously done a bit of writing/reviewing for an online games magazine (strictly amateur stuff, and a lot more irreverent in tone than RPGwatch). I tend to mostly play stuff well past release date. Would you guys be interested in reviews for games long out of the charts, but not yet retro? No worries if not, just thought I'd ask, as I've long consumed your content, but never contributed anything back!

@mogwins
Writing about older games is a good thing. Many of us veterans know the old games, but year for year there's a new generation of players that rediscovers the CRPG genre for themselves. They can get the classics for a few bucks at GOG.
This is defenitely one target group. Answer of the question: Games worth playing no matter how old they are.

For the veterans you have to find a new angle or compare games to get them interested.

For short reviews you can enter via the game database. If a game is missing (@Myrthos: Albion for example… :) ) tell it Myrthos.

I think it would be a good idea too.

Righty-o. I'll see what I can rustle up. If the powers that be think they're not suitable, no worries at all!

How do I submit a review?

Just email it to Myrthos (myrthos "at" rpgwatch.com). He'll also be thankful for screenshots to go along with the article.

Last edited:
A new patch is out. Could you give the new features & improvements a try and include them in the review if they're relevant enough?

Back
Top Bottom