Mickey, Meet Yoda: Disney to buy LucasFilm for a lot of $

yes it is probably my age (41) - I am nostalgic for the old movies
Heh, kids :p. I was 11 when SW hit the theaters, and I managed to talk my dad into going to watch the movie with me twice.
Anyhow, I still prefer the TCW series to everything that came before and after ESB (with the exception of KOTOR2 and RC), but that may be because I'm a sucker for military SF, mostly.

hey, wasn't there a guy on here with a yoda/kermit avatar?

Wasn't me was it?
yodacake1.jpg

Speaking about the awfulness of the new SW trilogy, there is a funny and (in)famous video review where the reviewer goes to great lengths to make a complete mockery out of those films, rightfully so if I may add. Below, I put the Youtube links for you to watch in case you hadn't seen them already.

Enjoy! ……I certainly did so myself :D.

Only watched the first set, but almost feel out of my chair ;-) great stuff..esp 'what's wrong with your face!?' I recently watched all 6 movies back-to-back - while the vfx for E4 were kind of dated, the (somewhat simplistic) story, characters and everything just seemed to work so much better. E4 was also made, I think, for younger audience - I first saw it in 1977 (when I was 7 ;) - and it blew me away. The later movies, were darker and better (except for Ewoks…). Anyway, E1 and E2 just seemed shallow by comparison, great vfx extravaganza, but the movies seemed to be designed t show off vfx rather than for story exposition…which is not a good thing.
I still think Disney will churn out 'kids' movies, and I except to be disappointed. Anyway, glad to see George has very decently given away much of his fortune - many otehr stinking rich billionaires could learn from his example. You can't take it with you (unless you have yourself cryogenically frozen and hope they can start you up again, and the…but wait!?…what's wrong with you face?!'…)

I still think Disney will churn out 'kids' movies, and I except to be disappointed.

What happen if it's like Pirates of the Caribbeans or Chronicles of Narnia?

What happen if it's like Pirates of the Caribbeans or Chronicles of Narnia?

Well, I think those were 'OK' but not the stuff memories are made off. I saw the original trilogy movies many times; I have watched e1-3 twice...when I first saw them, and now at my recent marathon saga viewing. Later PotC movies were pretty 'meh' in my opinion, and I only saw the 1st Narnia movie. I have no desire to see either again. I will be very surprised if I am surprised by Disney...but we shall see.

IMHO Star Wars was a film for kids and could have been made by Disney in the first place (think Disney princesses). So what is the news?

IMHO Star Wars was a film for kids and could have been made by Disney in the first place (think Disney princesses). So what is the news?

Sure, some elements were there for kids, but for the originals saga adults could engage and enjoy a deeper story. Empire was, imho, much less of a kids movie, as was Jedi (except for those %#@!!! Ewoks...) Well, at least that's how it feels to me. I saw plenty of Disney-like sci-fi movies as a kid - they were all pretty insipid compared to Star Wars. I was inspired to go into science because of Star Wars, not by 'Battle beyond the Stars' , 'the last star fighter' etc etc.

Sure, some elements were there for kids, but for the originals saga adults could engage and enjoy a deeper story. Empire was, imho, much less of a kids movie, as was Jedi (except for those %#@!!! Ewoks…) Well, at least that's how it feels to me. I saw plenty of Disney-like sci-fi movies as a kid - they were all pretty insipid compared to Star Wars. I was inspired to go into science because of Star Wars, not by 'Battle beyond the Stars' , 'the last star fighter' etc etc.
For me saying that a film or book is made for kids has no negative connotation, so my comment wasn't meant to belittle the films. For example I believe that the book "The Hobbit" is much better than the LotR trilogy.

I just wanted to express that I see no big reason for concerns - though I admit that 95 % of the Disney films are schmaltzy schlock.

Later PotC movies were pretty 'meh' in my opinion, and I only saw the 1st Narnia movie. I have no desire to see either again. I will be very surprised if I am surprised by Disney…but we shall see.
Well, there has been good stuff, too, like Bridge to Terabithia or Remember the Titans. Otherwise, considering Narnia and other not-so-good films… yeah, I can see where you are coming from. Not sure, but I believe they can do good with Star Wars.

I was inspired to go into science because of Star Wars, not by 'Battle beyond the Stars' , 'the last star fighter' etc etc.
Science? That's Star Trek, not Star Wars. :p
;)

I can't say I care terribly much about this one way or the other. I'm not fanatical about but I think they have a substantial vested interest in not messing it up too badly. When it is released in 4 years or so I may watch it but I don't plan on following it until it happens. The toys and rides and related merchandising will sell regardless of the quality of the movie but they will sell much better if its any good and Disney can recoup its investment.

I just hope that they start with episode VII and they go in to the era after Jedi rather than go in the past like everything else has since Jedi. My understanding was that is sketched out so on a napkin somewhere so there is material to draw from. It will be hard to have the rebel/underdog story which was so great about IV-VI but I'm sure they can come up with something.

I just hope that they start with episode VII and they go in to the era after Jedi rather than go in the past like everything else has since Jedi. My understanding was that is sketched out so on a napkin somewhere so there is material to draw from. It will be hard to have the rebel/underdog story which was so great about IV-VI but I'm sure they can come up with something.

It's being reported that the next movie will indeed be Episode VII.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-vii-plot_n_2048998.html

Back
Top Bottom