RPGWatch - Three Years and Counting

Congratulations! ^_^

I've lurked around here since the site opened, and I find it ironic that MMOWatch has to be shuttered just two months after I left BioWare to return to making MMORPGs.

But focus is good. Play to your niche and build it. Lots of sites cover MMGs, few focus on RPGs. I think you've made the right decision. Sadly, I won't have much to contribute anymore (if I ever did), so if you don't see any more posts from me, know that I'm reading.

Congratz!
Sorry about the MMO decision, I love MMOs! Yes, there are other sites that focus on MMO, just like there are sites that focus on RPGs, but none with the professionalism and 'no-drama' attitude of this site.

Thanks for the dedication, RPGWatch team. I visit the site daily and really appreciate the service you provide and the good folks around here.

As someone who never visits MMOWatch, my biggest concern with the decision is whether more MMO material will come to RPGWatch because it has no where else to go. I'd personally rather not see that but I'll be happy either way, of course.

In the past, stuff that has been slightly off-topic has always been handled very well around here, allowing flexibility with the site never losing focus.

Thanks again and Happy Birthday!

Big Grats!!!

And hope you stick around for many more!

Congratulations. It's a nice forum with nice people, with few little unimportant exceptions. :)

Contgratulations, and thanks for all so far :)

As someone who never visits MMOWatch, my biggest concern with the decision is whether more MMO material will come to RPGWatch because it has no where else to go. I'd personally rather not see that but I'll be happy either way, of course.

You won't see the main site flooded with MMO news - most of us just aren't MMO players. That said, we don't like to place too many restrictions on our editors, so if someone finds something significant, we won't stop them from posting it. Honestly, it won't happen much.

Happy Birthday. I don't post to much (as is obvious) but I have been following the site since its inception and it has always been one of my favorites (as well as the one before it).

First and foremost, this is the THE site that I visit to get my information. Plain and simple, it rocks!

@Acleacius
".....In regards to more content and help, could I suggest you maybe invite Indie developers to write articles that interest them. This way you both benefit they get feed back and promotion of their games, you get more content and traffic...."

That is just it, and I think it strikes to the heart of what I am trying to speak about, I am an Indie devloper and I have been lucky enough to have this site talk and promote Layonara. When I first asked to have something portrayed about Layonara I was stunned, and excited, that it happend. It is a rare thing when a sight of this calibur does something like that for Indie companies. I am going to sorely miss this opportunity, and in the long run I think a fair few members of this site will miss a great game.... time will tell. :)

@Corwin
".....You are correct; with the limited staff we have, most of whom are not really interested in MMO's, plus we get very little feedback from our coverage AND there are numerous other sites whose focus is MMO's it seemed better to focus our limited resources where they appear to be most effective. We frequently invite indie developers to write articles for us, and some do from time to time. Several others post regularly in our forums. We do all we can to assist indie devs to get both themselves and their games well known. Glad all you guys like the place; so do we!!..."

I 110% understand where you are are coming from and I respect it. I am just going to miss having the opportunity to annouce Layonara to the community, and our testing phases that are coming up in the near future. On top of that I do think that Indie companies and games have great potential (within reason), and I do wish the web supported them more; it would only make for a better gaming experience for the players in the long run.

@Dhruin
"....Thanks for your feedback, though I'm sorry we are disappointing you. It's simply a matter of time and staffing. It's a time-consuming labour of love and our core staff aren't passionate MMO players. Many of us have posted MMO news as a service but I personally have reached the stage where I can't justify the time for something I'm not really interested in. While others have carried on, it really takes a passion to continue, day in, day out and after discussion, we felt it was better to focus our energies. Hope that makes sense...."

Man does that make sense, and fully understand the limited staffing issues (of which there are so very many)! Day in and day out it is excatly how we survive! Things are changing in the industry (very slowly, but it is happening) and it is becoming a more "open" world (including MMO's) for players and player options, including RP options. I just wish we Indie developers had a site of this calibur and deciation to be able to speak about opportunites outside of AAA games (or games made with millions of dollars) because at the heart of RP players they are looking for good/solid/quality RP and RP systems, not run of the mill games. This is a rare site, and I really do hope you reconsider your decision but I also understand if you can not/will not.

Leanthar

It's been three years already? Good work! Funny enough, RPGDOT.com and .net are both available domain names again.

Eh, sort of. I actually tried to buy RPGDot when Jolt let the domain lapse but a domain parking service continually outbid me. They want far too much for it - I can't justify thousands for a hobby.

Congratulations RPGWatch, I still come here almost every day, although I have far less times to play games. I wish I could volunteer, but I feel with my current job situation that would probably not work out.

Apparently I signed up on the day you guys went live(apparently that was my last post as well, I have just lurked since then), and I too have been following since RPGDot. Congratulations, there are so many websites out there that have fallen by the wayside. It's nice to see a good one has that has kept up it's level of excellent game coverage hasn't.

Congrats! The Watch is a great RPG news source with at least as good forums, I'm happy Bartacus made me come here since I was kind of absent (playing WoW...) when the Dot ended and you guys moved here.

Eh, sort of. I actually tried to buy RPGDot when Jolt let the domain lapse but a domain parking service continually outbid me. They want far too much for it - I can't justify thousands for a hobby.

Yes - and they know it.

It's their (imho shady) business.

Back
Top Bottom