Drakensang: TRoT - Review @ Armchair Empire

Anyone who wants to buy it from Gamersgate can do so easily with a proxy. I did it myself.

Google a US-based public proxy and go to the Gamersgate website. Log in to your account. It will be a little slow but you don't have to do much. Find D:TroT and click "Buy".

Close your browser. Gamersgate will send you an email that says you need to complete payment. Click the link and complete payment as usual. It's all yours.

Well, if you really want to be jealous of releases, the Spanish publisher FX released a Drakensang pack including localized versions of Drakensang, the River of Time, Philleason's Secret and an OST CD for 20 EUR.

But it is unlocked for me on GamersGate and I am from European Union.O_O

You are certain? GG doesn't communicate its region restrictions very well. If I'm logged into my own account I can still see it by going directly to its purchase page (not by internal site search), but if I press the Buy button it pops up "region restricted".

Anyone who wants to buy it from Gamersgate can do so easily with a proxy. I did it myself.

The same is true for Steam. Change your download location, put a mask on your IP with some software, log in again, and you can buy games with US dates. I used this once to get around New Vegas' staggered release, because staggered releases are dumb. Of course, Steam functions as DRM so you'd have to use the proxy all the time, so for this trick GG is better/more susceptible.

Retailers are not supposed to let this happen and I think it technically breaks your user agreement, Dhruin, so be warned. I've never heard of them giving a damn though. Why would they?

Last edited:
Well, if you really want to be jealous of releases, the Spanish publisher FX released a Drakensang pack including localized versions of Drakensang, the River of Time, Philleason's Secret and an OST CD for 20 EUR.

Nice compilation.. I'd kill to have that in English. How is it that these titles are popular enough to get released everywhere except NA and the UK?

You are certain? GG doesn't communicate its region restrictions very well. If I'm logged into my own account I can still see it by going directly to its purchase page (not by internal site search), but if I press the Buy button it pops up "region restricted".
I can go past buy button without problem on Gamersgate but on Impulse and Steam it is region locked on main Drakensang RoT page.

I can go past buy button without problem on Gamersgate but on Impulse and Steam it is region locked on main Drakensang RoT page.

I would wager that's not supposed to be the case, but who cares? Hurray for more regions being able to buy this game. It really is a shame how its international release was handled.

Yes their mistake I guess.

There is also an Italian version of Limited Drakensang collection pack
http://www.fxinteractive.com/it/noticias/novita2010.htm
20 EUR is really nice price. I live near Italy but unfortunately do not understand their language enough to comfortably play the game.

Questo Natale regalati divertimento e goditi la saga di ruolo che ha stregato 5 milioni di giocatori in tutto il mondo.
5 million players. If that means five million units sold - that is quite a number considering the series is not well known in English speaking territory.

...and I think it technically breaks your user agreement, Dhruin, so be warned. I've never heard of them giving a damn though. Why would they?

Because the other two possibilities if they recognize that you have logged in to their service from different countries in a very short time span (so that travel can be ruled out as a possible reason) are:

1) You are sharing your account with a friend in a different country which is naturally against their TOS for obvious reasons.
2) Your account was haXX0red.

I guess that no one really knows if the stories on the Steam forums are true where people are claiming that their accounts got banned for proxy usage or account sharing or any other suspicious activities but I know that if I had a lot of money invested into my Steam account then I would not risk losing my account by getting zapped for proxy usage, however unlikely it may be.
I'd only recommend it if anyone had a dynamic IP and access to several e-mail accounts. Then you could set up a dedicated Steam "throw-away" proxy account for yourself with just the few games that "require" using a proxy.

Good game, not top notch but better than just okay, somewhat better than the first one. The only real negative is the English voice acting, I don't think I've ever heard worse voice acting in a game but it was a minor issue compared to the rest of the game.

What is a short time? I live in Denmark. And I can get to London in about an hour or maybe 1½ hour or so. I can get to Germany (north) in about 2 hours.

I thank you all for your helpful advice on how to help a fellow member from the gameboomers community :) The person, I'm helping is not that tech savy, so using proxy and stuff might be out of this persons league. Thanks again for all your kind help.

I think a couple of shops he can order from have been posted over the last couple of weeks.

What is a short time? I live in Denmark. And I can get to London in about an hour or maybe 1½ hour or so. I can get to Germany (north) in about 2 hours.

My guess is that the tracking algorithms are set to only alert the staff if someone logs in with the same account from different countries within minutes but who knows if/how/what they are really tracking...

Yes, I'm sure I am breaking the agreement but I don't care. I'd probably not do it with Steam (too many games tied and the need to log-in, plus I've experimented and Steam is harder to proxy) but as far as I know, GG games are indepedent once purchased. I wouldn't normally post this sort of stuff but it's a crying shame a good game is so restricted and it the GG system is so easy to circumvent bu they still get paid.

it's a crying shame a good game is so restricted

Seriously.
It´s also a great example of a sequel which reacts to its predecessor´s flaws/criticisms in an appropriate (at least I think so) manner.
I honestly can´t think of one thing which Drakensang did better than The River of Time.

Seriously.
It´s also a great example of a sequel which reacts to its predecessor´s flaws/criticisms in an appropriate (at least I think so) manner.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. TROT is a perfect example of a "proper" sequel, one that improves the aspects that made the original a good experience and builds upon that foundation without needless streamlining or stripping away the game's depth.

Thank you for this information. I've only heard rumors about it yet, stumbled upon the Philleasson's Secret release wile back nd reported it here to he news - but apart from that I knew absolutely nothing about it.

This could be the same - I think - as the "Drakensang 2 Gold" release here in Germany.

And regarding the game : I assume that the team was reading quite a lot in the official foums (without posting there, however), because the fans have been discussing the game quite a lot (and sometimes quite heated). I fear that sometimes my own voice was a bit too loud there. :rolleyes:

The lesser "filler" combat, but with more difficult enemies was one of the most wanted points of the fans, for example.

However, I often had the feeling as if Fabian Rudzinski - the main designer responsible for it (someone called Drakensang 2 "his game") had in some places more or less the same thoughts on the game as the community had, because there were some things in it in the first place which the fans liked …

Guessing that he was the (one of the) "main head(s)" behind the project, I often wonder what he might be doing next … Because he didn't go to Bigpoint.

I think thats a fair review, I would have given the game 7 out of 10 as well, I liked it, but liked it's predecessor I felt it was a bit sterile. I'm not sureI can put my finger on why.

I thank you all for your helpful advice on how to help a fellow member from the gameboomers community :) The person, I'm helping is not that tech savy, so using proxy and stuff might be out of this persons league. Thanks again for all your kind help.

Hi there,

I'm from Denmark as well and imported an english version of D:RoT from the Benelux region with no problems at all. I wrote a little about it here (last post, page 3):
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12302&page=3

Overall it was cheap and easy... the delivery time was slightly long (about 10 days IIRC) but as long as you know that in advance I guess it's not really a problem :)

For the unlucky Europeans looking for The River of Time; I bought mine from Gametap:

http://www.gametap-shop.com/buy-download-pc-games/Drakensang:-The-River-of-Time-1849-25.html

There seems to be no region locking at all, and the games I've bought work just fine (from Finland).

The River of Time is definitely an enjoyable game, fixing a lot of The Dark Eye's problems (Quick travel points one of the best additions). It's a shame that the story is not as epic as the first, though.

Back
Top Bottom