Dragon Age 2 - Mark Darrah on the Conclusion

DA2 was a "one step forward, two steps back" kind of game for me, not even close to the unequivocal garbage it gets described as by the Internet hate machine.

1. No tactical combat (hand placed encounters vs waves) or camera
2. Almost no choice and consequence (all players get 99.9999% same even down to everyone killing both mages and templars)
3. Gone is the mature tone (instead - zombie mums, STDs, emo characters etc)
4. Waves spawning in your face
5. Slashfic level writing, with some of the most cringeworthy lines. Ridiculous end.
6. Boss fights that literally last 20 minutes ... if you win. And with reloads...ugh.
7. No fun loot
8. No character armor customization (so that they stay looking Bio-cool)
9. No choice of race
10 OTT animations, JRPG hair, swords and watermelon gore.

I'm not mentioning the recycled areas and drab visuals because that's not an issue for most RPG fans. Not "unequivocal garbage", but an extremely weak and forgettable game. Especially by the standards of this once grandmaster of RPGs. Especially if people expected something of a quality similar to Origins because, um, it had "II" on it. I think the "hate machine" comes from a sense of betrayal. Like it or not, Bio has a symbiotic relationship with its fans. Bio fans often game mainly waiting for Bio games. Then Bio says - "see ya goblin-lovin' nerds! We're with the cool COD crowd now". COD flips Bio the bird. Bio goes back to old fans (19 March 2012) and says "OK, OK, we're listening now".

(Time warp 2014)

"BioWare, in partnership with Electronic Arts, has introduced their latest installment of the beloved Dragon Age franchise, Dragon Age III: Darkspawn Horde. It provides the player with a first-person hybrid shooter gaming experience, arming them with either a standard, upgradeable bow and arrow combination, or a limited edition Mass Effect 3: Shepard's New Fate DLC crossbow. In addition, only two awesome buttons will be needed to play, suggesting the game can be ported to various handheld devices like the iPad 4.

Players will be rewarded for teaming up on multiplayer servers, although BioEA has promised not to penalize them for choosing to play single player only…."

I expect DA3 to closely follow ME's linear mission structure with a couple of small hubs and a tacked-on multiplayer that is mostly there to discourage piracy and used game sales.

That's probably a likely scenario.

All of Bioware's games for the past several years have a very linear mission structure, simply because the games themselves are more like interactive movies, which requires a much more rigid structure.

ME3's level design was a huge improvement over ME2. It felt much less like "corridor-fight-corridor-cutscene" scenario etc., which is typical of Bioware games. Hopefully the level design for DA3 will be improved as well.

IMO all DA2 lacked in order to be a decent game was:

1. Better level design
2. More expansive environments
3. More side quests (none of the reverse fedex quests where you find some random object in a dungeon and then some random townsperson suddenly gives you gold)
4. Ability for the player to fully join the side of the Apostates or Templars (or some third faction), with consequences in the ending.
5. Readable lore books

If DA3 improves upon DA2 in these areas it will be decent.

Not "unequivocal garbage", but an extremely weak and forgettable game.

I agree, I also can't stand the melodrama and hyperbole that spews forth from the biodrones and haters alike… However, I saw no hate machine raging against DAII or bioware on this forum or other RPG related forums(codex excluded - though that's part of their charm, they're equal opportunity haters). Calling DA2 crap and/or a departure from it's predecessor can hardly be considered hate.

Bioware could have kept what worked and improved upon the shortcomings of DA:O -> thus making a better game in DAII. Instead, what they did was cash in on a name and appeal almost exclusively to the gamers who care nothing for RPG mechanics but prefer in game "relationships" or "romances"(which IMO were, for the most part, terrible spins on new age archetypes) and as Gaxkang aptly put it watermelon gore.

The city theme and time lapsed narrative were not the problem, it was the fact that the aforementioned was poorly conceived and lacking in execution.

-EDIT-

As for Bioware and M. Darrah, if they shift their focus from interactive teenage-ish movies back to making games with some semblance of RPG mechanics they might get my attention and money…

I really don't get the hate for DA2? The story was the best story in years in an rpg. And Bioware has always been about the characters and the story and the romances. I clearly remember the rage at Bioware when they decided to do a romance with Jaheira at the center of it. Pretty much everything that has been said since then about the romances, the characters etc. in a Bioware came was also said 12 years ago. And if my brain cells aren't on strike some people even hated the endings to BG1 and BG2 and TOB as well....

Bioware has never been good at gameplay not the combat elements, story, characters and dialogue are their strengths. And they still made good use of this in DA2, I feel. The main story is a story about a person, who, probably against her (his) will, gets caught in the political misgivings in a town called Kirkwall. As for the re-use of areas, I hardly noticed them. (some of you didn't notice the re-use of tilesets when playing througn nwn, the first?)
The waves in combat really are my biggest gripe with DA2, something that Bioware adressed in their DLCs, Legacy and Mask of the Assasin.

As for the sidequest, yes, there are some fed ex quest in DA2, however the majority of them aren't fetch quest at all. They're used to unlock a familiy's secret, to unmask a killer and so on and so forth. As for the dialogue wheel, I prefer it to having 5-6 option written out in text, not knowing if you've exhausted all dialogue. With the dialogue wheel, you know when the npc hasn't got anymore to day. Combatwise, I very much prefer the combat in DA2, when I give an order, I expect it to be carried through, not Alistair or Zevran thinking 'ehm, OK, if I feel like it.'

You do know that Mark Darrah probably is the boss of Mike Laidlaw; Laidlaw was Lead Designer, in charge of getting the game, DA2, out in time, implementing the design docs probably handed down to him from the higher ups etc. etc.

Coming back to DA2's story, to me it is an amazing story, albeit a tragic one. And why people can't accept that the hero of Kirkwall is gone is beyond me? In Fallout 1, the hero vanishes as well, not being able to fit into society anymore, because his journey has changed him forever.

As for the now - unfortunately - cancelled expansions to DA2, I've asked on the Bioware DA2 forums, if there's any chance that Obsidian might be doing an expansion for DA2. No answer as of yet, though. Also, Mark Darrah said in one of his posts that the team sizes are relatively fixed, meaning I think that the DA franchise has a smaller team than ME franchise with SW:TOR being the biggest team. That's just my interpretation of it...

As for the sidequest, yes, there are some fed ex quest in DA2, however the majority of them aren't fetch quest at all. They're used to unlock a familiy's secret, to unmask a killer and so on and so forth.

I have no problem with fedex sidequests.

I have a serious problem with the "reverse fedex" quests in DA2. And the overwhelming majority of the quests in DA2 were of this variety.

Instead of talking to an NPC and getting a quest, then completing it and returning to the NPC, the way it played out in DA2 was very strange and didn't feel like questing at all.

You find some random junk object in a chest somewhere. Later on you are walking around Kirkwall and some random person gives you gold, and you have no idea why.

This did not feel like a quest at all.

If they did not have enough budget to record voiced dialogue, it could have still been easily remedied simply by adding those quests to the chantry board or apostate mage's board.

And this is coming not from a "bio-hater," but from someone who played the DA2 beta at Comic-Con in summer 2010, so I already had a sense of the gameplay long before the launch and enjoyed it overall, even participated as a beta tester for some of the patches, logging a few hundred hours in total.

I really don't get the hate for DA2? The story was the best story in years in an rpg. And Bioware has always been about the characters and the story and the romances.

Erm... what was the story in DA2? It was supposed to be a framed narrative that turned out to be just ordinary chapters interrupted by cinematics of Varric and Cassandra. It was supposed to not be epic "hero saves world" but ends up being a string of fetch quests to buy a big house and then kill off both mad factions. That's the whole problem with DA2's story - the premise was good, but it fell on its face in execution. There was no intricate city politics. There was no shaping of Kirkwall. The city and its NPC's do not evolve in reaction to what you do. As to characters - emo and obsessed, emo and dull or emo and plain crazy. Instead of having all your party in the camp, you had to run round town looking for your companions one by one to exchange a few lines of cringe worthy dialogue on topics (and in a tone) normally discussed by pubescent teens. DA2 has a rare story accolade in my books - it rivals Modern Warfare 1 and 2 in the category of "games I completed, yet could not remember the story a week later if my nuts depended on it". I can still recall every step of KOTOR's story almost a decade after I last played it. I can even recall the broad brush plot of Ultima V, almost a quarter of a century after I last played it.

@ Aries, what was it about the story or characters that you found "amazing" or compelling?

And why people can't accept that the hero of Kirkwall is gone is beyond me?

Oh and where has this been an issue on the watch?

@ Gaxkang, spot on.

I actually cared a bit for my companions in DA:O, something that doesn't happen in many games.

Yep, the followers were the best part of the game. Interactive novels aren't enough though. The other elements (combat, character development, looting, crafting, etc...) were good enough to keep me engaged, but DA:O as a whole didn't make me excited to play more DLC / expansions / or the sequel.

I really don't get the hate for DA2? The story was the best story in years in an rpg.

DA2 is a good game, and for me it was one of the best games of the year, but it came nowhere near the quality of DA:O. I think Gaxkang's 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7 are the most importand faults, as well as a unbalanced gameplay (in general the game was very easy, but two or three boss fights were quite hard (and as I see it, too hard compared to the general difficulty level)).

DA:O is a game I will remember fondly forever, and I really would have liked for DA2 to be at the same level. It felt a bit like Might & Magic 9 (I love M&M 6, 7 and 8), in the sense that it didn't meet my expectations.

I was about 99% sure that Bioware would go the Mass Effect route with Dragon Age and make a sequel where you could import your character along with all of your story's variables/consequences of your choices. Everything seemed to point to it...there were some stories yet to be resolved by the game's conclusion, Bioware was already doing it with Mass Effect - and had done something similar previously with Baldur's Gate, and they even tacked on "Origins" to the title (why tack on "origins" if there is no continuation?) Why they didn't I will never understand. Seems like such a lost opportunity...there was so much potential with the franchise.

That being said, I have only spent a little time with Dragon Age II. It didn't seem as awful as people make it out to be, but it does seem like a lot less consideration was given to it. I want to continue the story of the Grey Warden I created in Origins, not be forced to hear the tale of this Hawke character.

I know it's probably far too much to expect, but I would like it if they somehow re-branded Dragon Age II as a spinoff title and made a direct sequel to Dragon Age: Origins, with character, story, and choice import options ala the Mass Effect trilogy. I realize that games with that kind of complexity are probably hard to make, but just look at how massively popular and profitable the Mass Effect trilogy has been!

@ Aries, what was it about the story or characters that you found "amazing" or compelling?
Aries thinks DA2's story is as good as PS:T's was. I don't think there is anyway to debate the terribleness of the story/plot with her.

While the issue with the hero of Kirkwall being gone and vanishing might not be a big deal - or none at all - here on the Watch; at BSN DA2 forums it certainly was.

As fot the fed ex quest, I loved it; the way they were handled, I mean. Currently playing NWN, and in that game, you get a quest, you have to travel to three or four different maps to deliver an item or for the quest to update. If you have saved someone, you'll need to return to their area for the quest to update, not so in DA2. And to me, this is and was a great relief.

The characters to me, in this game, felt more fleshed out and had way more background than in any Bioware game to date. Fenris's story is a tragic one and I was like O_O when Isabela left. I even went online to check that haven't done anything wrong. Aveline's story was great - and tragic as well. The whole main story is also a tragic story; Hawke is a person that gets involved in something she really doesn't want to become involved in, it seems. And as such, she becomes the hero of Kirkwall?

And why is this? Because, as I see it, Hawke is the first person in Ferelden to break free of her destiny, meaning that the she starts the game poor, and in the course of the game, rises to power and fame. All through her own actions. And yes, she is maybe a bystander to what happens, and she can't prevent certain events from happening, although she defeats an end boss in the final scenes of the game. However, I've found the relationships with the characters far better than anything else than Bioware has ever written.

My main gripe with the game are really only this: the waves and waves and waves and then some waves in combat - a problem fixed in Legacy and Mark of the Assasin.

Aries thinks DA2's story is as good as PS:T's was. I don't think there is anyway to debate the terribleness of the story/plot with her.

Just because YOU find it terrible, doesn't mean it is. Do you have any understanding that your perspective is not the only perspective in the world? Are you one of those people who runs around telling everyone who likes something you don't that they are stupid for liking something that you've decided is terrible? Well, obviously you are- look at these posts. But why do you do that? Do you not understand that peoples experiences are subjective? What you don't like, another person may like? Just because you and a vocal group of absolute assholes don't like something doesn't make it bad. Nobody needs to justify themselves to you. Be quiet(er). You've made your "point" and you've "won". Bioware has turned their backs on the people who liked DA2. DA3 will probably be a direct clone of DA:O (boring Fade and all) because obviously the most vocal whiners want to play the same goddamn game over and over again. With the exact same stupid kill-the-big-bad-to-save-the-world story.

Just because YOU find it terrible, doesn't mean it is. Do you have any understanding that your perspective is not the only perspective in the world? Are you one of those people who runs around telling everyone who likes something you don't that they are stupid for liking something that you've decided is terrible? Well, obviously you are- look at these posts. But why do you do that? Do you not understand that peoples experiences are subjective? What you don't like, another person may like? Just because you and a vocal group of absolute assholes don't like something doesn't make it bad. Nobody needs to justify themselves to you. Be quiet(er). You've made your "point" and you've "won". Bioware has turned their backs on the people who liked DA2. DA3 will probably be a direct clone of DA:O (boring Fade and all) because obviously the most vocal whiners want to play the same goddamn game over and over again. With the exact same stupid kill-the-big-bad-to-save-the-world story.

Apparently people who don't like the games you do are vocal assholes because you fear Bioware may listen to them? Impressive, how you manage to invalidate your own initial "perspective argument" several sentences later in breathtaking hypocritical fashion!

But the story gets even better as you go on to invoke "Saving the world" from big bad thing trope. Yet I have to ask, what is the difference? You do the same thing in DA2 but on a smaller scale, Meredith and Orsino both turn into monsters that you have to slay to save the day, no? Or did I miss the ending where Bioware played to the strengths of a RPG set within a city(IE robust C&C because of story/setting scope - not multiple Choices with same consequence)?

Loghain as an antagonist was miles ahead of Orsino or Meredith. FFS, the catalyst to the events was a magic juju statue that corrupts people/things. Admittedly, the Qunari arch was better… The lack of choices and consequences involving that arc was not.

And why is this? Because, as I see it, Hawke is the first person in Ferelden to break free of her destiny, meaning that the she starts the game poor, and in the course of the game, rises to power and fame. All through her own actions. And yes, she is maybe a bystander to what happens, and she can't prevent certain events from happening, although she defeats an end boss in the final scenes of the game. However, I've found the relationships with the characters far better than anything else than Bioware has ever written.

But how is that any different from DA:O? Does the dwarf commoner origin from DA:O not break free from his set in stone duster destiny? It's the same framework across a smaller scale - hero starts out small and builds up from there.

-EDIT- Adding to the above thought on destiny…

One thing that really irked me in the beginning sequence was the massive disconnect between player and character. You are replaying events that already have happened and are now being recounted by Varric… So you play through his made up opening event and then have to play the real event all over again! At the end of which combat is broken mid-fight by Flemmeth who by some unknown and unexplained event gets you to Kirkwall in exchange for a favor. The use of deus ex machina so early on(which oddly enough lacks originality in that Flemmeth had saved the PC before in similar fashion at Ostagar) seemed lazy… Oh and back to destiny, you already know you are the champion of Kirkwall from that early Cass/Varric cutscene.

Another major disconnect in the opening sequence was the poor attempt at emotional engagement by arbitrarily killing off a sibling… Which is made all the more poignant if said sibling(or other companion) had previously fallen in battle minutes or seconds earlier and had then gotten back up(what changed between now and then, you know other than Bioware saying time to die?). There is zero emotional engagement as you the player just met this person, feeling any emotional attachment at that point in the game is done so purely through LARPing. Admittedly, the origins in DA:O had similar spins, but to their credit there was some sense of normalcy beforehand which helped set the stage for the impending SHTF.

Long story short Hawke does not break the mold with respect to destiny - you are the chosen one from the onset simply on a smaller scale.

To be honest, I thought(hoped) the settings/scale lent itself to greater exploration of RPG mechanics/elements and even story/plot as affected by C&C. As it was the city remained static throughout the framed narrative and playing as a mage led to zero reaction from the templars or greater populace… Hawke would blow up people in the streets with dazzling displays of kaboom magic and nothing would come of that… Hawke would walk proudly with a mage robe + staff on his back and nada… Hawke + co fought mage style against an Abomination right in front of Cullen, and I get a "Mages are not people like you and I" response?!?

Last edited:
Apparently people who don't like the games you do are vocal assholes because you fear Bioware may listen to them? Impressive, how you manage to invalidate your own initial "perspective argument" several sentences later in breathtaking hypocritical fashion!

LOL! that made my day. :)

Shut up. Anyone with any objective sense can see that PS:T's plot and story is superior to DA2 in many ways. Who cares what someone thinks? DA3 is going to be DA2.5. You don't have to worry about that. And stop spazzing.

PS:T is about philosophy.
Action players might not like philosophy, says the cynic in me.

Well the Seven Circles of Zerthiman (sp?) were very philosophical as were some of the other conversations with Raven and Grace and others. Reading lots of text is not the definition of an "action" game.

Back
Top Bottom