Mass Effect 3 - Interview @ Kotaku

aries100

SasqWatch
Kotaku has two articles about Mass Effect 3. The first one features Ray Myzyka and Greg Zeschuk discusses why you can play as a gay man in ME3. A quote about why this is so:
The corners BioWare may have considered to cut are not being cut. Hence, among other things, a Commander Shepard who now might be a gay man. "We are doing it as a service to our fans, because we think it's part of the expectation of a role-playing game," Muzyka said. "It's part of the expectation of a BioWare game because of the way our games have been for the last couple decades. We've had that kind of choice going way back to Baldur's Gate back in the 90's. It's been refined. We think it's a good thing to offer players. Choice is always a nice thing, when it works. When it's high-quality." BioWare today is, alongside Rockstar and a handful of other big-name game studios, an outlier. Most games, as violent as they are, remain sexless and void of talk or depiction of any sexual identity other than straight. The doctors know that puts them on the edge. "I would say, our entire career, one of the frustrations has been not just in this but in all kinds of areas we've been held to a really high standard," Zeschuk said. "It's always, ‘we can totally innovate everything. We can do this. We can do that.'
The second article on Kotaku is a Q and A with Ray Myzyka and Greg Zeschuk discussing rather humorously whether Mass Effect and Dragon Age are in the same universe?
Apparantly, the doctors have a Matrix feel to it all:
Me: So you're telling me Dragon Age is a video game series within the Mass Effect universe. I like that idea. Shepard is playing Dragon Age.
Zeschuk: In the future, it's the greatest franchise ever.
Me: I like it. I think every game should be played in one of the others. And it should just telescope out.
Muzyka: Maybe we're in a game right now.
Zeschuk: Think of all the emotional engagement we could have.
Muzyka: And I'll tell you one thing, Stephen, if that's not emotionally engaging, I don't know what is.
In other ME3 news, MCV brings news that pre-orders for Mass Effect 3 have been above expectations. On top of the Mass Effect 3 games attached to the launched weather ballons,
EA has planned some other PR and Marketing stuff:
“TV, cinema, online, print and outdoor activity will help capture the mainstream audience,” said EA product manager Will Graham.
“For the core Mass Effect fan, we’ve been building on the immersive nature of the game with a host of trailers, social media activity and fan site activation.
“Currently our pre-orders have broken the targets set, we are well ahead of where we were at the same point with Mass Effect 2 and we have all of the platforms aligned for launch, which is a first for the Mass Effect franchise,” Graham added.
More information.

Why do people even interview those sellouts? You don't see zenimax CEOs giving interviews on Elder Scrolls games.

Maybe because they still are involved in the gaming business, they still have meetings with the higher ups at Bioware? And by that I mean Mark Darrah, Casey Hudson etc. And they're still running the show, Ray, I think is responsible for the rpg division while Greg is responsible for the MMO-division. So they're still in charge. And they're still playing the games. In another interview Ray and Greg actually told Kotaku (I think) what they thought about ME3 after playing it through.

True Manlove Waits?

Has it been revealed how Gayshep will play out on imported saves? If you've played through 1 and 2 romancing female characters and Liara, will you still be able to choose the gay romance in 3, or will the option be closed off?

Do you have to play through 1 and 2 as a celibate or start a new file in order to get a little stubbly makeout action in the last act?

Back
Top Bottom