Sovereign - World Map

As long as the kickstarter gives solid reasoning as to why the game needs backing this time as opposed to last time, it's okay. If Charles is making a game 4 or 5 times the size of Underworld, then it would make sense that he'd need some help getting it done. I don't like the idea of prepaying for anything. I've backed a couple games but they've been huge endeavors. You're right in that I'm not a fan of backing stuff that looks like the cheap shareware of yore.

While waiting for Charles, you might want to download and play the Yendorian Tales series. It was what I hoped would be coming from Underworld, since it was a wonderful series. However it is much more MM3-5 than Underworld, with a more advanced gameplay than what is found in Underworld. It's doesn't scale to large monitors though and Charles has a few other nice features that this game doesn't.
Of course it came out in 95, 97 and 98 :)

Last edited:
I don't think a lot of people realize how much games cost to make. Most basic indie rpg's you are look at around 20k to get it out the door, and that is with you working another job to support yourself.

Art is expensive, and that is what the game really needs.

I don't think a lot of people realize how much games cost to make. Most basic indie rpg's you are look at around 20k to get it out the door, and that is with you working another job to support yourself.

Art is expensive, and that is what the game really needs.

Really, where did you pull that number from? I ask, because most devs create their own art or use public domain stuff that is free, if its tile based.

However, if Charles needs to buy artwork and that's why he wants to kickstart, just say so in the pitch. Show the art of Underworld and explain how purchasing art assets will improve the game. As long as its logical, I'm sure people will go along.

BTW, I want Sovereign to succeed.

Check out Jay Barnson's blog from earlier this week as he breaks down the actual costs of producing a game. It's quite interesting.

Really, where did you pull that number from? I ask, because most devs create their own art or use public domain stuff that is free, if its tile based.

However, if Charles needs to buy artwork and that's why he wants to kickstart, just say so in the pitch. Show the art of Underworld and explain how purchasing art assets will improve the game. As long as its logical, I'm sure people will go along.

BTW, I want Sovereign to succeed.

Honestly? It was from a game I was designing that I wanted to develop with the engine from Eschalon from Basilisk games. We talked about it and he said I would basically need that much to fund it at least. That was for art and music. Also, unless you are working in your spare time after work or what not, your costs go up. I wasn't just pulling this from my ass.

Wow! Costs sure have gone up. I guess it's to be expected, but that seems like a lot of cash for the type of quality that most indie games produce.

Check out Jay Barnson's blog from earlier this week as he breaks down the actual costs of producing a game. It's quite interesting.

Pretty much that. Also the world building entry he did just before I made the map public. We're in phase, Jay and I.

If Sovereign and FK2 are ready to ship around the same time I'll probably let him have first go. He owns big guns :D

Back
Top Bottom