Sword Coast Legends - Interview @ Vice

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
N-Space's Dan Tudge and Dan O'Leary talk to Vice about Sword Coast Legends.

"Tabletop D&D is about hanging out with your friends," says Dan Tudge, president of n-Space and game director of Sword Coast Legends. "It's about the relationships that you build, the stories that you tell. It's about something funny your friend did, or you how exploded because you absolutely failed that check. That's something that was really important to us, to recreate that experience of people playing together. To make it easy for them to do that."

"The team wanted to create something that was, first and foremost, collaborative," explains n-Space CEO Dan O'Leary. "And letting people play the game the way they want to play it. There are options for player pausing, DM pausing – and that wasn't originally in there. DM pausing was added so that a DM could stop the game and interject storytelling, they can roll checks, they can insert more of the tabletop game elements into it."
Thanks Eye.

More information.

I would have had a lot more confidence in the devs if they hadn't been saying things like this. It just shows they didn't have a good design or idea of what features should be in there in the first place.

As for the updates improving things, I'll believe it when I see. So far I've only seen promises of more of the same. No editor overhaul, no revisiting the skills system, no 5E (any edition really) feel to the game. I've gone from cautiously optimistic they could pull this thing around to now hoping for a swifter demise so that it's dead and removed from most people's consciousness when the next D&D game from a hopefully competent developer comes around.

The more I read of Dan Tudge the more I dislike him.

Has this interview been done pre or post release?

The more I read of Dan Tudge the more I dislike him.
Why?

Wait, let me have a try
"It's about the relationships that you build, the stories that you tell. It's about something funny your friend did, or you how exploded because you absolutely failed that check. That's something that was really important to us, to recreate that experience of people playing together. To make it easy for them to do that."

The more I read of this Dan Tudge the less I like him. It's all the stupid things he says like the quote above that really make it clear.

I'm really not sure how he can go around making these false assumptions about what D&D players want. He's clearly out of touch with modern players and probably with reality itself.

Let's take a closer look since I'd hate to be misunderstood from one of my baseless, unexplained opinion pieces.

1. I don't make relationships - I play alone.
2. I don't make stories - I expect the game to provide one I enjoy.
3. What does that even mean "failed that check"?
4. He thinks all my friends are funny? How is that possible?
5. ITS NEVER FUNNY WHEN I EXPLODE!

Thanks for taking the time to read how I dislike Dan Tudge, but also the more important why of it, which I understand is the only way I can actually inform my readers and help them see things from my universally correct perspective and not just think I'm a troll with my short combination of letters which amount to little more information than a dislike click.

Well, that escalated quickly, and completely unnecessarily.

That's nothing Kobu. Quite a mild rant by SirJames' standarts actually :lol:

Well, that escalated quickly, and completely unnecessarily.

I thought that was one of the best written posts I had seen for a long time. That's like the kind of pros people used in youtube videos when youtube was good.

Back
Top Bottom