The Whispered World

I'm sorry, but you were being awfully general in your dismissal of all things cartoony. I do seriously think that this is something of a loss for you. People that cannot appreciate childish things have, in my opinion, grown up too fast.

Did you actually read all my posts, or was that just a kneejerk reaction because I view something differently? Let me reiterate, I wasn't claiming those are "bad" games, just not the style that appeals to me.

While that is very understandable, you have to admit that dismissing games because they seem childish is pretty sad. Judging a game on not how fun it is to play or actual gameplay but rather on the general look of it. You could compare it to young teenage gamers who won't play any game released more than five years ago or that are 2D. Just got that feeling from the "Cartoony games do not appeal to me" statement. I'm not saying that it is wrong to think that way or anything, it just seem sad to me that you would rather play a bad grimdark game rather than an excellent childish game.
You get me?

I'm in the same boat as JDR. I don't see the appeal of cartoony childish graphics. It's a turn-off, as is anime, to me. This is just personal preference though...

People that cannot appreciate childish things have, in my opinion, grown up too fast.

Interesting sentence. And I do know quite some people in my environment who would agree. ;)

I'm in the same boat as JDR. I don't see the appeal of cartoony childish graphics. It's a turn-off, as is anime, to me. This is just personal preference though…

Me, for example, I just can't stand the graphics style of Manga & Anime.

I also can't stand the graphics style of traditional superheroes comics. I don't understand the interest in superheroes at all.

Me, I've grown up with Asterix, Tintin, Lucky Luke, Fix & Foxy, next to Disney's characters.

Bone is just Art to me, as like Akiko is (whi is *not* a Manga !!!)
And Little Nemo is just ... a dream. ;)

So, my "comics background" is definitively different - european based. We Europeans have - I think quite a distinct - and different - culture regarding comics. Superheroes don't exist in european comics at all, as far as I know, only as their parodies (Astrix, Marsupilami, Jerom).

"Sergio Aragones destroys DC" and "Sergio Aragones massacres Marvel" are genuine European comics, since they take on the "seriousnes" of U.S. - based superheroes comics and do them ad absurdum, in my opinion.

Astrix, for example, has *always* been kind of childish - but like with Monty Python's Flying Circus it is so FULL with hints and jokes ... But nobody understands them with bigger-than-normal backgrond knowledge about european nd especially French contemporary history. - And in Monty Python's Flying Circus thre are SO many hints and jokes one can ONLY see if one has studied some time at a university ... I have read the full screenplay as two books, fgreatly annotated, with all of these hints explained.

It's like with Hägar The Horrible :

At the first look, it's just fun.
At the second look, you find out the hints.
At the third look, you find out the wisdom behind it ...

Last edited:
Damn DeepO, that animated graphic is screwing with my web browser big time. I have to reply to this thread using my smart phone now. :lol:

While that is very understandable, you have to admit that dismissing games because they seem childish is pretty sad. Judging a game on not how fun it is to play or actual gameplay but rather on the general look of it. You could compare it to young teenage gamers who won't play any game released more than five years ago or that are 2D. Just got that feeling from the "Cartoony games do not appeal to me" statement. I'm not saying that it is wrong to think that way or anything, it just seem sad to me that you would rather play a bad grimdark game rather than an excellent childish game.
You get me?

No, I don't "get you". Or rather I don't get your stubborn refusal to acknowledge that some people simply don't have the same taste as you. That's the only thing I see here that's truly "sad".

Damn DeepO, that animated graphic is screwing with my web browser big time. I have to reply to this thread using my smart phone now. :lol:
Really? What a shame. Sorry. Post deleted.

Speaking of "dark noncartoonish" adventures, Blade Runner is a very good one not mentioned yet.

No, I don't "get you". Or rather I don't get your stubborn refusal to acknowledge that some people simply don't have the same taste as you. That's the only thing I see here that's truly "sad".
Graphics/voice acting over gameplay and fun. But I do realize that is a matter of taste.

If you don't like cartoonish adventure games than just look at "Edna bricht aus" ! - Which had also won several prizes here in Germany (but not for the graphics, I think).

Me, personally, I didn't like the graphics style of "Edna bricht aus" at all.

It's called Edna & Harvey: The Breakout in foreign countries. A CE will be released in the UK on Jan 21st for 19.99£.

A sequel (or rather a spin-off) has been announced for late 2011.

I have these priorities:

1) Gameplay / Game mechanics
2) Story
3) Fun
4) Bug-free
5) Presentation (Graphics & Sound)

I'm still playing some old C64 / Amiga / old PC-games from time to time. They may look/sound ugly as hell, but they have gameplay …

JDR13 said:

It seems to me, and I'm REALLY not saying that it's the case with you, that some people have a phobia of childish or cartoonish media, or anime for that matter. For some reason, they need to loudly state that it's "stupid" or "gay" and are usually teens. Personally, I think I would even enjoy a Barbie game if it was truly awesome. :)

It's called Edna & Harvey: The Breakout in foreign countries. A CE will be released in the UK on Jan 21st for 19.99£.

A sequel (or rather a spin-off) has been announced for late 2011.

Ooooh. I need to keep on eye on that one.

Anyone know where I could buy a digital download of The Book of Unwritten Tales? It's been mentioned here, I think, but I can't find it. It's only in German, but I've found that I can pretty easily understand the German (in Nehlim, too!) so that should be okay, fun and educational even. I just can't find it and the official site is down, too.

Won't be easy to find. The publisher HMH went belly-up. Then JoWooD bought the rights and released a buggy version (patched quickly). There's a legal dispute between developer and JoWooD about who has which rights and which version JoWooD is allowed to sell or not.
Now JoWooD is bankrupt…

edit: The German shouldn't cost more than 10 EUR.

Yes. Shouldn't. But I recently (read : in December) I saw quite a lot of specimens still for 30 Euros …

And plase don't mix The Whispered World with the Book Of Unwritten Tales (BOUT) ...

Why not mention it here? It was discussed in this thread.

That's unfortunate about the publisher. For 10,- I would get it without a moment's hesitation. The demo looked very good and with the exception of a noun here and there, I could understand it all perfectly.

In fact, I think I need to download the German version of Nehlim, because reading English subtitles on German voices is just too distracting! German subtitles would work better for me.

Well, if anyone finds anything, I'd be thankful to know.

He meant "mix sth. up" as "confuse".

Hopefully the issues are resolved in the context of JoWooD's insolvency. BOUT got excellent reviews and the sequel was pretty far in development.

Ah, I guess I got thrown off in the "*please* don't mix..." phrasing. :) No, I know exactly which game is which and I played both demos.

I think I'd enjoy BOUT better, but both look terrific. At this point, I'd almost prefer the German version (assuming the English version will ever come), because what more fun way is there to improve your language skills??

Now, if only there were a Norwegian adventure game... :)

Back
Top Bottom