Mass Effect - Movies & Screens

I must say that so far the game looks utterly dull. Alright, the cutscenes are good, but I'd rather watch a movie then, yet from what I've seen of the gameplay so far (including loads of previous X360 clips), it's just a simple run 'n gun experience. Hell, you can even collect the l3wt off disintegrated foes whilst inside the buggy - not to mention the fact that it can actually jump to dodge enemy fire. Pathetic.

How much lower can you stoop, BW?

I think i am one of those that would agree with you hands down. I think the XBOX 360 was a dissapointment. Seeing thís video i am now intrigued. I like the pausing and the new interface. It seems ALOT less run and gun then the XBOX version was. Perhaps this version is good enouh to be played. ;)

But i will probably not getting it since i already played it through and the scenes showing was only creating a "meh" response... not really want to experience it again - for a while.

How much lower can you stoop, BW?

From reading your posts, my conclusion is that you will never approve regardless of how good the game is. Bioware has failed you, they are evil incarnate now that they are in bed with EA and nothing will change that view. A shame, because you might miss out on something good. It's okay to not be narrow-minded.

Mass Effect on Xbox 360 was not simple run-and-gun, but on the other hand, if you don't like games that have you aiming and dodging fire, that's okay too. But does that make Bioware pathetic?

I played the game and completed it on the Xbox 360.

I was personally underwhelmed as I think it was a step back from KotOR, which I thought was an excellent CRPG. I was foolish enough to expect an evolution of that kind of game design - where in reality it was a case of increased production values and a dumbed down design.

However, it's a high quality game with many good points. The most impressive part of it - to me - was the consistent, plausible, and mature background lore for the setting and technology. They really worked on that and most things make a lot of sense - which is not particularly common with this genre.

The cinematic appeal, especially with the much advertised dialogue scenes, is very well done and it does indeed add a lot to the experience.

Sadly, they handled many traditional CRPG elements very poorly and the core gameplay mechanics are rather weak and uninspired. The combat system was awkward and didn't work for me - and I much preferred the system in KotOR even if that was also rather weak in many areas.

The story itself was adequate and reasonably well put together, but didn't move me in any way - where KotOR had a lot of nice scenes and characters. I'm not THAT big on story, so it didn't bother me that much.

Another weak aspect is how they did the optional "sidequests" - and they're possibly the worst part of the game. They're set up in such a way that they re-use the same ~3-4 level designs and visual architecture and the story elements are minimal. They resemble each other WAY too much, and they pretty much all involve taking the MAKO vehicle down to a planet and searching the area for some meaningless fluff that you can safely ignore, until you find the obvious objective location where you can expect the exact same enemy setup over and over. It's incredibly uninspired and I think the game would have been much better off dumping every single one of them in favor of one more storyline area - which is how it was in KotOR.

The PC version seems to have improved the interface and controls enough to make combat more satisfying, and I think it might make the whole thing work as originally intended. But the utterly bland itemization and predictable and weak character development system will most likely be identical to the Xbox version, so if you're into that stuff (which I am - in a big way) be prepared to not get what you're after in those areas.

Overall, I'd probably rate it ~80%, and despite significant shortcomings, it really IS a highly cinematic experience with tons of cool sci-fi atmosphere and references to respected works in the genre - so I think it's worth checking out, especially if you're into sci-fi.

You have a lot of good points that I agree with. Especially the bland itemization doesn't really work to take me in. I normally dislike using the term "dumbed down", but compared to KoTOR, it does seem appropriate. The skill system doesn't seem as deep and varied as that title. However, I'm not very hardcore with my RPG's as some of the people on this forum are, and I'm not big on spending countless hours on figuring out the best party configuration and stat min/maxing.

So your concluding comments hit it right on for me. Those are the elements that wowed me and gave me lasting memories that make me want to come back to the game.

You have a lot of good points that I agree with. Especially the bland itemization doesn't really work to take me in. I normally dislike using the term "dumbed down", but compared to KoTOR, it does seem appropriate. The skill system doesn't seem as deep and varied as that title. However, I'm not very hardcore with my RPG's as some of the people on this forum are, and I'm not big on spending countless hours on figuring out the best party configuration and stat min/maxing.

So your concluding comments hit it right on for me. Those are the elements that wowed me and gave me lasting memories that make me want to come back to the game.

To be honest, I'm kinda considering playing it again on the PC. That should reveal that, despite my criticisms - the game has something going for it.

However, it would have had a lot more pull for me if they'd made a more interesting character system and done a bit for the loot aspect. I could definitely see myself playing it again with much the same enthusiasm as the first time.

I suspect that if I do play it on the PC, i'll probably stop before it's over. I've never been into replays very much - I'd just like to play it without being annoyed with the interface.

I'd love the see much more interesting character progression and items that actually satisfy in the next installment as well. On the other hand, I also love a game like Dreamfall that, admittedly, is pretty small on gameplay but big on story. Sometimes it just works, but seeing as this is an RPG...

Back
Top Bottom