The Book of Unwritten Tales!

I dont remember the Clever & Smart game receiving particularly good review scores.

Yes, it's average, but it's the only one for this comic series.

Never knew about it. Can you give me a link ?

Never knew about it. Can you give me a link ?

Well, here's the Wikipedia page and here's a YouTube gameplay movie. I think it's a Windows 95 game, so it won't run in DOSBox (unless you install Windows 95 in that). So I should either install Windows 95 one day, or use a virtual machine. I'd really like to play it some time, I love Duckman. :) Some of the voices are done by different voice actors, but they're still pretty good.

- there are a few Sherlock Holmes adventures out there … I don't know anything about them
Those are very good actually. Frogware have been making Sherlock Holmes games for a while now, and while their first attempt (Mystery of the Mummy) was lackluster and should be avoided, their later games (The Silver earring, The awakened, Vs Arsene Lupin (Nemesis in some parts of the world) & vs Jack the ripper) are all good. The Awakened is my favourite, mixing Sherlock with Lovecraftian horror.

I've downloaded a Sherlock Holmes game on Steam, I think The Awakened. But I'm not sure if I can get into it. For one, I think the aspect ratio was strected on my 16:9 TV. And although I like 3D adventure games like Tex Murphy, somehow this 3D one didn't quite do it. I should give it another chance, though.

By the way, did I mention that the pretty elf in The Book of Unwritten Tales is called Ivo, which is my name? It's guys name, damn it! And they pronounce it all wrong!

Grmbl.

LOL ! :lol:

I once knew a dog when I was a child, a Deutscher Schäferhund, who was called Ivo as well. I didn't think much about this name, then, but it sounded odd to me, because it was so short.
I was in the elementary school at that time.

(By the way, "iwo" or "ivo" is Bavarian dialect meaning a kind of "no", with the "I" pronounced like in "India".)

I've read in places that "Ivo" means archer, which happens to be my birth sign as well. Wikipedia says one etymology comes from Celtic, meaning "YEW", an ancient holy tree. :D

Apparently, the name is common in Slovania and Croatia, as some locals told me when I was there. Incidentally, I've just learned the antagonist of Sonic the Hedgehog is called Doctor Ivo Robotnik. And the mad doctor who designed the building to summon Gozer in Ghostbusters was called Ivo Shandor. Interesting. Wikipedia is fun. :)

Anyway, I've just come to the point where I can switch between the gnome and the elf, adding a bit of complexity to the game. So far, I didn't have to use a walkthrough once and haven't really been stuck for more than a few minutes. The amount of possible combinations of items/hotspots is always pretty limited and the puzzles are all logical and well-integrated into the environment. While this is good, it also makes them kind of straight-forward.

I don't care, really. I don't have the time or patience to spend three hours figuring out one problem.

But, generally, the quality of this title is amazing. The sound track is stuck in my head, as well. :)

I want to point out that we have a holiday season discount.

The Book of Unwritten Tales discount!

Till December 24th the price of the game has been lowered by 20% ($23,99, 19,99€, 15,99£).

IN ADDITION every buyer receives a gift-coupon of 20% discount to give away to a friend. If you want to give someone a treat, you can make them a present with the coupon. The coupon discount is added to the already discounted sale price!

So if you are looking for a high rated and very long adventure for the holidays please visit: www.unwritten-tales.com

There is a demo out there ? Interesting, I never knew that.

I just started Tales of Monkey Island again—I never finished the last chapter. I got to tell you, it blows everything away. It is so much more fun to play this than even The Book of Unwritten Tales. Even Lost Horizon with its more action-packed approach. Can't help it.

I just started Tales of Monkey Island again—I never finished the last chapter. I got to tell you, it blows everything away.

Yeah, I´ve found the game to be surprisingly good.
The first part had good puzzles but sucky story parts, the second part had sucky puzzles but a bit better story, then the game provided a very good adventure overall I think.
A pity the very end left quite a lot to be desired and partially ruined the story in retrospect.
The fourth chapter was worth the price alone. Superb segment all around.

I finished it now with a good helping of uhs-hints.com (huge backlog and lack of time and everything). It's a bit of a shame really that I stopped playing the series for so long, because I forgoet a lot about the previous episodes. Anyway, I'm glad it's over, but I really want a second season. I kind of got frustrated with the last bits, especially the backtracking before the main confrontation and the main confrontation itself. Timed stuff in adventures is just annoying, just like deaths (unless it's Space Quest) and action or stealth sequences!

Anyway... want season 2 :(

You could try buying the Monkey Island Special edition - if you like the haircuts, that is. I can't help but only hate the new hairstyle of Guybrush Threepwood in MI1, Special Edition.

Or you could try the other games by Telltale.

You could try buying the Monkey Island Special edition - if you like the haircuts, that is. I can't help but only hate the new hairstyle of Guybrush Threepwood in MI1, Special Edition.

Or you could try the other games by Telltale.

You can choose the old graphics in the SE as an option.

Sam and Max seasons one and two are really good and of very similar style if you liked Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island.

Back
Top Bottom