What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Prometheus is fine. Anything that has the creature in it can't be bad. In fact I don't mind if they rehash the same thing over and over again. I just love the setting.

Just saw doom. Pure action, love it for what it is.

PS: if you think Netflix Canada is poor...

Prometheus is fine. Anything that has the creature in it can't be bad.

Actually, I thought the creature was the worst part of the movie. I'm not sure why Scott decided to alter the design. I thought it looked terrible.

That said, I still enjoyed Prometheus a lot more than the AvP films. I thought those were just B-grade junk.

That said, I still enjoyed Prometheus a lot more than the AvP films. I thought those were just B-grade junk.

I'll second that. No matter how much Prometheus disappointed me, the AvP movies were just horrendous. Too bad they managed to get Lance Henriksen onboard. He's a great actor, but in bad movies.

Yes ... pretty much like in the comic book. Just that it was another chick and another Pred.

Seventh Son was a fun flick. Setting was great and Jeff Bridges was unexpectedly fantastic in this one. If you go in expecting little you may be pleasantly surprised. About on par with Clash & Wrath of the Titans in terms of entertainment value.

I wanted to see it and my expectations were low so I probably would have enjoyed it. Unfortunately it has already left the major theaters here in the Detroit metro area. I'm surprised you Bostonians can get out to the theaters with the literal 6+ feet of snow I've seen on the national news (unless Brian Williams was lying about that too).

And I thought Michigan winters sucked.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other films. I'm about to invest in something like Netflix. What's the general consensus of these various movie apps? I have to get whatever I get on my mom's Wii, because she wants to use it, so I'm open to suggestions.

I have Netflix and find it best for viewing TV series you may have missed. Where it seems to excel is Netflix original series (e.g. House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, etc.), non-Netflix series & documentaries (there are so many Documentary films that never come to light in mainstream theaters and are great viewing). Unfortunately at this time series' from HBO and Showtime are not available for streaming. I'm too cheap to buy the DVD/Blue Ray option otherwise I could see them. Their selection of worthwhile "New Release" films is usually lacking too.

For $9.99 US you can't go wrong. If you're viewing through the first generation Wii I don't believe you will be able to see the streaming in HD. Not a huge deal but still. You can view them through your PC as well.

I'll second that. No matter how much Prometheus disappointed me, the AvP movies were just horrendous. Too bad they managed to get Lance Henriksen onboard. He's a great actor, but in bad movies.

Same here. I enjoyed both franchises on their own yet never understood why anyone thought combining them was a good idea. I thought this way back in the 90's I believe it was when the first AvP video game was released.

Last edited:
I wanted to see it and my expectations were low so I probably would have enjoyed it. Unfortunately it has already left the major theaters here in the Detroit metro area.

Where do you live in the Detroit metro area? I escaped from there almost 3 years ago. :)

Speaking of Detroit…

I just finished watching last year's Robocop reboot.

Meh… it was decently entertaining, but I didn't find it to be anywhere near as memorable as the original. I didn't care for Joel Kinnaman as Alex Murphy, and the movie was missing the campy charm of Paul Verhoeven's version. Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton were ok in their roles but not enough to elevate it above average for me.

Where do you live in the Detroit metro area? I escaped from there almost 3 years ago. :)

Speaking of Detroit…

I just finished watching last year's Robocop reboot.

Meh… it was decently entertaining, but I didn't find it to be anywhere near as memorable as the original. I didn't care for Joel Kinnaman as Alex Murphy, and the movie was missing the campy charm of Paul Verhoeven's version. Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton were ok in their roles but not enough to elevate it above average for me.

Both original and 'retread' are now on both Netflix and Amazon Prime, so you can watch and compare for free if you subscribe :)

I thought the reboot started out being somewhat interesting, but as per usual Hollywood style - it broke apart somewhere in the second half. I'd struggle to call it average, but then again - I sometimes forget what average means in Hollywood.

I think what led to the Robocop reboot being so forgettable for me was that I simply didn't care at all for any of the characters, hero or villain. It was just some guy in a robotsuit, shooting a gun and riding a motorcycle.

And it was PG-13, with everything that brings to the table.

I honestly don't even remember what went wrong. I just remember losing interest around half-way through. But I liked the initial premise of dealing more seriously with how this affected his humanity, as they went further with how little of him was left than the original movie did.

I felt that would have been more touching, if the movie didn't otherwise end up sucking quite a bit :)

The latest Total Recall was slightly better - but still not up to the original Verhoeven.

I guess we just need a failed remake of Basic Instinct now? I have no doubt some moron is pitching it right now in Hollywood, unless - of course - it's already being made.

But it will be a challenge to flash the pussy with PG-13. I guess they could ice-pick stab some heads in a more graphic way - as it's just violence.

I thought the reboot started out being somewhat interesting, but as per usual Hollywood style - it broke apart somewhere in the second half. I'd struggle to call it average, but then again - I sometimes forget what average means in Hollywood.

I meant it was average by Hollywood standards, which, for me, means it wasn't very good. I seem to have higher standards than the masses when it come to stuff like this. I think a lot of us here at the Watch do.

I meant it was average by Hollywood standards, which, for me, means it wasn't very good. I seem to have higher standards than the masses when it come to stuff like this. I think a lot of us here at the Watch do.

We certainly seem to have different standards :)

I just re-watched last night "The Watchman".

To many things I loved about this movie, just one of the best movies. It is shame so many thought it was to be another X-man or Spiderman movie.

The commentary on human nature is so true in this movie.

Watchmen is a great flick, and fairly true to the comic series that it came from. Other than the issue I've had with the costume changes, it really impressed me. The casting was quite good, but is it just me or does the lady that plays Laurie have one seriously huge head??

"Watchmen"is the only "superhero" movie that I actually like. Not that I watched many, only I founded this one very interesting. I should give it a re-watch as well.

Watched last Saturday "Interstellar". I think Kubrick would like it. Space Odyssey all over again. In a way.
This Saturday watched "Boyhood". Must say, I liked it bit more than "Interstellar", somehow it's more down to earth. :)

The Watchmen quotes:

"Jon Osterman: Reassembling myself was the first trick I learned. It didn't kill Osterman… did you really think it would kill me? I have walked across the surface of the Sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all. But you, Adrian, you're just a man. The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite. "
Edward Blake: Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Laurie Juspeczyk: Everyone will die!
Jon Osterman: And the universe will not even notice.

ally Jupiter: I'm 67 years old. Every day, the future looks a little bit darker. But the past… even the grimy parts of it… keep on getting brighter.

This is one of the best:

Jon Osterman: My father was a watch maker. He abandoned it when Einstein discovered time is relative. I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.

If only teachers in grade school had a thought…they might understand this:

They claim their labors are to build a heaven, yet their heaven is populated by horrors. Perhaps the world is not made. Perhaps nothing is made. A clock without a craftsman. It's too late. Always has been, always will be. Too late.

Wally Weaver: You see, at the time I was misquoted. I never said 'The Super-man exists and he is American', what I said was '*God* exists and he is American'. Now if you begin to feel an intense and crushing feeling of religious terror at the concept, don't be alarmed. That indicates only that you are still sane.

What can I say it is this movie is everything I have though of the world and the people within it since I can remember.

Back
Top Bottom