The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Gaining a deeper appreciation of the new Daysleepers cd mentioned a few posts ago. What a treat!

I will be ordering it, I love "stars on fire" atm. Tomorrow will be different as you know. lol

The Hives - Return the Favour (YouTube)

One of my many favorite songs with one of my few favorite bands. :p When I saw them with some 10-15k others at the festival I was at recently they ended the encore with this song, just after their biggest hit, guess if I was happily surprised!

I will be ordering it, I love "stars on fire" atm. Tomorrow will be different as you know. lol
You won't be getting "Stars on Fire" unless you download it via iTunes. That's off their first ep (Hide Your Eyes), which is WAAAY out of print (Jeff auctioned off his last 10 personal copies a year or so ago). I got into the Daysleepers too late for that one, although I did pick up the second ep (The Soft Attack) which I think is also impossible to get now. Jeff's an insanely nice guy and their producer (Doug White, also quite the gent) is in Tearwave.

Blast from the not-so-distant past for me today. Strange how the mind works. I start at Throwing Muses during a quick re-read of this thread and end up with this after a 5 step chain:

"Breathless" by The Corrs

Finally, another person on this thread that fully understands the musical genius of Opeth!

Oh, and The Corrs rock as well, but in a much different way. Their last album "Borrowed Heaven" was very solid I felt.

Nice to see ya, sweetie. You've got a long way to go before you need to worry about canes, clappers, and housefuls of cats...

Kind of an interesting track for me today. Been sampling a goth station on Live365 ("From Dust") and heard this tune. Can't really call it ethereal goth, nor medieval goth. Works for me, though.
"Demon Eyes" by Dargaard

Continuing with numbers from musicals a bit:

The ending of Cabaret is the essence of bitterness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opi1da2FzbE&feature=related

On a more lighthearted note, I've always loved this sequence from An American in Paris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzmsCt3zP8A

Chico and Harpo Marx's scene from A Night At The Opera, that's what I call playfull playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAmL_usCZmU

Aaaand here's the silly song of the post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqrc2YjrmDs

Returning to a more serious note, just recently I've discovered another great mashup. This one's made by Phil RetroSpector and it combines together The Beatles' Eleanor Rigby with Phillip Glass' Metamorhosis.
Along with the video, this is pure brilliance. I highly recommend this, it's utterly haunting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h18XdkOeCqI

I have a BtE thing going on today I guess. I seem to be hung up on these to two songs at the moment:
I do
Closer

Sorry about the sample clip for 'Closer', It was the only thing I could find.

At any rate, most of the 'Closer' CD seems to be working for me this morning. So... I'm pretty sure that 'Desperately Wanting' and 'A Lifetime' will be earbugs by days end as well. :)

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
Hey dte, on the personal front I said goodbye to my twenties this month. I'm still not sure how I feel about that... I pretty sure I'm not ready though. ;)

Lucky for me, it will take a little more then a year before I pass that line :) Still I don't think that it will have much of an impact. The only regret I'd feel is that nothing has happened on a personal note for me.

First video from Tearwave's new release which, at 70-some minutes, was well worth the wait.

"Nothing's Wrong" by Tearwave

Got my care package from Projekt with Tearwave, Melodyguild, and Chandeen a couple days ago. All good releases. Tearwave will be my longterm favorite of the 3, but right now the Chandeen has really caught my ear.

Elika put up a video for their song "The Whip" which I think is really good. Simple, but effective. Song's pretty good, to boot. The vid is on the page linked below. During my "visit", I noticed that they've redone one of my favorite songs of theirs. They've nudged it toward a little more abrasive presentation, which will probably make it a little more interesting around here. Although I liked the prettier original version, the vocal work they added at the end is very catchy.
"Let Down" by Elika

I have signed up with the new Rhapsody MP3 site (they are now selling non-DRM MP3 as well as their old subscription service). They offered a $10 credit for first 100,000 signups and also had some great deals ...

- Steve Reich - Works 1965 - 1995
- Herbie Hancock Box Set - nice 4 CD set on sale for 99 cents

which chandeen album did you get dte?

The newest, "Teenage Poetry".

Listening to clips doesn't really do it justice, though. There's about 20 "themes" somewhat arbitrarily broken into 11 tracks. The whole is definitely better than the parts. It's a stellar release for "lights out, eyes closed, extend the Lazyboy", but it might be a bit on the poppy side for you since you seem to prefer your tunes to have a little complexity and rough edge to them. This cd is a bit minimalist and smooth as silk.

Back
Top Bottom