Skyrim Skyrim Ships 10 millionth retail copy,also "fastest-selling title in Steam's history"

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Bravo good sir.:clap: Unfortunately Bioware wont give a damn.

Since bioware ceases to exist as a entity anymore that is correct. EA however may when it sees the $ beth is making. They will then buy some studio whose claim to fame is some dirt buggy racer, rename is "Bioware (insert city here)" and have them work on a TES clone conveniently side stepping the fact none of those devs have any experience at RPGs or story creating.

Shut your flytrap. All i was saying is that people from my country (and probably others in the region) STILL can't buy the damn game from Steam and retail (basically the only dedicated games shop that we have in here) STILL does not offer it a month after release. I'm not justifying anything. If you think, that this situation is not fucked up then carry on with your fieldwalking activities good sir, thinking that Bethesda is a good publisher and that region locking on steam is a nice way to stop piracy.

You are still justifying your actions. You are in the wrong for 'demoing' it. Period. I am sure it will become available in due time. Is it a problem/issue you can't get it? Yes. Does that give you a get out of jail free card to do whatever you want? No.

I'm interested in seeing if EA will pump more money into openworld RPGs. Kingdoms of Amular is getting the royal marketing treatment. From what I can tell that one seems very openworld. Not sure if it will be any good, but I'm skeptically hopeful it will be.

I saw KoA at PAX East eariler in the year and it looked really good. they basically raided the best ideas from FO3, DA1 and D&D with a pretty good outcome from the demo we saw. I got notes, footage and pics in my blog on my site of the demo I was at if you are interested.

@crpgnut Stop the vulgar imagery mixed in with personal attacks, please.

I apologize, instead I'll quote the rat:

Basically: I think pirates are scum and I'm happy to say so. What does that accomplish, probably nothing but still if more people stood up for what they truly think (Pirate or Pirate hating "CRUSADER") then everything is right in the world. They of course won't go away but at least you don't sit there and say "hey it's going to happen anyways, go with the flow." Naahhh enough of that nonsense, go against the grain.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

BTW scum would be a good word for what you get on your shoe, when you walk in a field.... ;)

KoA: Reckoning is open-world, but not like TES games. It's "guided" open world. You have many more restrictions on where you can go, and the game is scaled in a way that there are starter zones, advanced zones and everything in between. Meaning it's not like Skyrim, at all. That said, I'm still excited for Amalur. It looks like it's going to be a cool RPG. But there is definitely room for another true open-world RPG akin to the TES games. I hope someone gets cracking on one.

I'm really hoping Bethesda will take this success and feel totally justified in doing a seriously kickass expansion for Skyrim. I'd also agree that this news bodes very very well for future openworld games, and to see the next Fallout game take advantage of this would be most excellent!

-Carn

I'm really curious to know how many of their sales are from those who traditionally play other kinds of "action-y"games? We've all been led to believe that (western, at least) RPGs are really a fringe market, and all the money is in games like Battlefield 3 etc. And the more pressing question: will they retain these converts, assuming that's what happened?

correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Skyrim is likely to end up doing about as well as, if not better than Battlefield 3, no?

Yes yes yes, and with a unique setting - imagine this: a metropolis with vampires.;)

Vampires? Is this a younger generation fetish? I've never understood the vampire love that is so prevalent today. I guess it's a Twighlight thing....

I prefer them to stick with high fantasy, personally. I don't need dark and gritty and I don't need/want to be an undead creature/monster. I'd just like a new setting with unique lore.

I apologize, instead I'll quote the rat:

Basically: I think pirates are scum and I'm happy to say so. What does that accomplish, probably nothing but still if more people stood up for what they truly think (Pirate or Pirate hating "CRUSADER") then everything is right in the world. They of course won't go away but at least you don't sit there and say "hey it's going to happen anyways, go with the flow." Naahhh enough of that nonsense, go against the grain.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

BTW scum would be a good word for what you get on your shoe, when you walk in a field…. ;)

I wasn't disputing the claim, just the vulgarity of it and I don't believe I was attacking someone in particular as opposed to the whole concept of pirating video games. Big difference in my opinion, but I've probably gone overboard as well in one of my many thousands of posts. That is why I said please instead of preaching from on high. I know where you are coming from, but I also can feel for that guy as well. You don't live in a country where N/A in your region is your nemesis.

So let's just leave well enough alone or start a pirate thread if you want to discuss this further. Other than that then talk about 10million Skyrims sold. Deal? Good.

Vampires? Is this a younger generation fetish? I've never understood the vampire love that is so prevalent today. I guess it's a Twighlight thing….

ummm no. You can thank the Victorian writers. They are the ones who created the vampires of modern lore. It has been added too of course but the core concepts of modern vampire lore all trace back to the 're-boot' if you will of the Victorian writers. Bram playing no small part in that group as you can imagine but many others as well. Before the Victorian era vampires were seen VASTLY different. Much closer to what a reverent is defined as today. A decayed looking, sometimes non-physical formed entity (spirit) that sucks the life force (sometimes blood) of those sleeping. They were ugly, solitary predators. It was the Victorian writers that took the lore of the vampire of the time and transformed it into a more or less human looking, physically attractive, graceful creature that you felt sorry for due to its 'curse'. Later on in the early 90s mostly due to White Wolfs Vampire RPG the concept of clans, age old war the werewolfs, etc got added. Then you had spin offs like Underworld and True Blood. So vampires are FAR from a new 'fad' as you imply. This 'fad' has been going on for over a hundred years.

Why they are making a MMO based on the White Wolf property in fact.

With these large sales we may assume that Bethesda considers this to be the winning formula, so what type of evolution are we to expect in future games other than just upgrading the visuals?

Am I the only one fearing the direction that Bethesda will take in Fallout 4?
Actually, playing Skyrim gives me little hope for a good Fallout 4 in terms of quality writing, C&C, interesting NPC interaction, etc., which IMO is what Fallout should excel in. But then again, why would bethesda change their approach if their current one is what makes them commercially successful?

I really hope that Obsidian gets Fallout 4 but I doubt it.

With these large sales we may assume that Bethesda considers this to be the winning formula, so what type of evolution are we to expect in future games other than just upgrading the visuals?

Am I the only one fearing the direction that Bethesda will take in Fallout 4?
Actually, playing Skyrim gives me little hope for a good Fallout 4 in terms of quality writing, C&C, interesting NPC interaction, etc., which IMO is what Fallout should excel in. But then again, why would bethesda change their approach if their current one is what makes them commercially successful?

I really hope that Obsidian gets Fallout 4 but I doubt it.

Well, let's not forget that Obsidians FO:NV was also very successful. Of course FO3 was already too much TES for many...
BTW, do we want a Fallout 4? I know it is inevitable, but I start to feel that the setting has run its course, a bit. I could dig a kinda prequel, though (survival just a few weeks after the war). Or a setting on a different continent. A change of scenery and pace, anyways. How do you guys feel?

Great, looks like I'm late to the party. Thankfully everybody grew up in the meantime. Let's keep it this way.

BTW, do we want a Fallout 4? I know it is inevitable, but I start to feel that the setting has run its course, a bit. I could dig a kinda prequel, though (survival just a few weeks after the war). Or a setting on a different continent. A change of scenery and pace, anyways. How do you guys feel?

I fully agree. I love the Fallout setting but redoing the same topics and seeing the same sceneries will eventually get tiring.

A game set in a different continent or country would be an interesting idea, particularly if it were China :).

I fully agree. I love the Fallout setting but redoing the same topics and seeing the same sceneries will eventually get tiring.

A game set in a different continent or country would be an interesting idea, particularly if it were China :).

Totally agree, there are many post nuclear/wasteland games around and they have been for a while. That is why I suggested the vampire theme.

I also thought of asian/far eastern themes. I think that the issue with these locations is that acceptable rpg elements in the west that involve magic, spirits and animals might not be acceptable in the far east. Otherwise, I guess that their history, folklore and tales are very rich for many games.

That is why I suggested the vampire theme.

I also thought of asian/far eastern themes.

Have you played "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines"? It is one of my favourite RPGs. It has a Vampire theme AND a part of the game is set in Chinatown (i.e. Asian theme)..…AND it is created by the creators of Fallout, so what more do you want? :)

Huh? Where is this plethora of post-apocalyptic games you're refering to? It certainly doesn't involve the RPG genre.

Within the RPG genre, apart from Wasteland and Fallout, the only game that I know that is set in a post apocalyptic world is "The Fall: Last Days of Gaia".

Back
Top Bottom