JRPGs

What's sad is that some of the best JRPG's in the world are still only available for consoles. (I just got a Vita, and it's pretty awesome so far for JRPG's). I can only hope to see more of them follow in Valkyria Chronicles's example with PC ports…

But I'd be all about a JRPG section, like Gothic said…^.^

I would like to play some good JRPGs but a friend of mine is saying I should get Nintendo D3S. Any ideas which is better please? 3DS or Vita?

Get both :p

Seriously though they both have some great JRPGs, but unfortunately they are usually mutually exclusive meaning no matter which one you get you'll miss out on the other system's games.

I can only speak for the 3DS, which has the Etrian Odyssey's, Shin Megami Tensei, Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, etc. Plus the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games, and there are a TON of great DS JRPGs.

Maybe we should have JRPG section? or should it mix in with normal RPG's….. I guess some users here want to avoid them like the plague.

That depends.
Valkyria Chronicles is IMO a musthave nearmasterpiece while FF13 is linear grindfest avoidware.
Without jRPG thread or section, it's impossible to know which publisher thinks that enormous amount of filler and nice graphics makes a good game and which one knows that quality > quantity.

That depends.
Valkyria Chronicles is IMO a musthave nearmasterpiece while FF13 is linear grindfest avoidware.
Without jRPG thread or section, it's impossible to know which publisher thinks that enormous amount of filler and nice graphics makes a good game and which one knows that quality > quantity.

But shouldn't that apply to the other subgenres as well? I avoid action RPGs, and yet I don't think we should have a separate section for Action RPGs just because some people don't like them. I say just keep them together, I don't want to have to go to 20 subforums to read my daily RPG news.

I don't see the need for a separate section, but I'd be perfectly happy to see more JRPGs covered. Like anime, they mostly leave me cold, but some them I've found to be brilliant.

It seems a bit of moot point though, unless someone wants to take on JRPG news posting.

Maybe we should have JRPG section? or should it mix in with normal RPG's….. I guess some users here want to avoid them like the plague.

This. Get to it.

The Codex did the same thing and it worked out great.

But shouldn't that apply to the other subgenres as well? I avoid action RPGs, and yet I don't think we should have a separate section for Action RPGs just because some people don't like them. I say just keep them together, I don't want to have to go to 20 subforums to read my daily RPG news.
Not really. jRPG has subgenres of it's own so some are so called "action" RPGs.
And some of those "action RPGs" are RPGs really, some are clickfest diabloclones.

Get to it.

The Codex did the same thing and it worked out great.

Well, we know how important it is to the team here to keep up with the Codex. :biggrin:

Instead of telling the Watch team to "get to it", why don't you take on responsibility for posting regular JRPG news in the general RPG forum, and we'll see how it goes?

Well, we know how important it is to the team here to keep up with the Codex. :biggrin:

Instead of telling the Watch team to "get to it", why don't you take on responsibility for posting regular JRPG news in the general RPG forum, and we'll see how it goes?

All I am saying is that when people posted a lot of such threads and news in a section dedicated to RPGs in general they met with little success, and even lots of bad jokes, so it didn't work well.

But when there was a dedicated section it actually generated a lot of interesting discussion, even of very niche games and interesting projects like translation of Japanese-only Wizardry games. So I found it to be really worthwhile.

Now that I think about, I actually agree with posting JRPG threads in general RPG forum. No need to create a JRPG ghetto. This might actually help people who regularly shun JRPGs find some Japanese-made RPGs that deviate from normal JRPG tropes and stereotypes.

For example Elminage Gothic is a lot more like an old-school Wizardry blobber than anything produced by western developers recently. But stick it in a JRPG forum and lots of people who might otherwise enjoy it will ignore based on the "JRPG" label.

Another problem is that sometimes it is not quite clear if some "JRPGs" are "RPGs", for instance a tactical RPG like Rime Berta.

That depends.

"Avoidware" Now that is a really good term. I like it.

Pibbur who wonders if the joxer made it himself.

Now that I think about, I actually agree with posting JRPG threads in general RPG forum. No need to create a JRPG ghetto. This might actually help people who regularly shun JRPGs find some Japanese-made RPGs that deviate from normal JRPG tropes and stereotypes.

For example Elminage Gothic is a lot more like an old-school Wizardry blobber than anything produced by western developers recently. But stick it in a JRPG forum and lots of people who might otherwise enjoy it will ignore based on the "JRPG" label.

I was against a ghetto too. But then I found out that those which weren't interested in those games would not be interested any more if they saw a few thread mentioning them. So I found it is better to give those who are a place all of their own where the discussion can proliferate. If you try to do it in a place where it's not really meant to it's always going to feel squeezed.

Get both :p

Seriously though they both have some great JRPGs, but unfortunately they are usually mutually exclusive meaning no matter which one you get you'll miss out on the other system's games.

I can only speak for the 3DS, which has the Etrian Odyssey's, Shin Megami Tensei, Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, etc. Plus the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games, and there are a TON of great DS JRPGs.

I wish ican get both! But anyway it looks like I might just get the Vita since its cheaper than 3DS. The New 3DS XL is about £180!

Back
Top Bottom