Mass Effect 3 beta leaked

I understand it just fine, thank you. You seem to be the one who doesn't get it.

No one is claiming that they made two separate games, just that they seem to be trying to make a "jack of all trades" type game, which is something a lot of people here don't want. Most of the concern is probably more from the progression of the series since ME1, rather than a few screenshots of the Beta. The screens only serve to remind us of the direction that Bioware has been going.

Well but the point is that the screen shots don't show you that they are trying to make a jack of all trades type of game. They just show the same options that have been in every Bioware game since KoTOR. What exactly is different other then an option to simplify dialog?

As for why people are upset, even you claimed that you were "speechless" about the screenshots. But obviously I agree that alot of people here had alot of hate for the ME series even before this news item came out. I just think it's causing people to see things that aren't there.

Just cool down, everybody. Let's save the mud wrestling for the time after the release of ME3.

Of course there people to whom the action mode will appeal. That's not what some of us are reacting to. It's the fact that Bioware is obviously trying to appeal to multiple genre crowds, and some people are understandably concerned that it might mean we're not getting as good of an RPG.

Personally, I'd go even so far as to say that people here fear that they miht become alienated - that Bioware consideres the "shooter crowd" as more important than the RPG crowd".

Given that a mode like 'action mode' could have been added to ME2 without changing anything else about the game, I don't see how we can really draw any conclusions based on this, about any likely shift from ME2. We already knew that they wanted to make the franchise more accessible to CoD gamers, because they told us straight out.

ME3 isn't high on my list of anticipated games, although I'll likely get it at some point, but I just don't see this as any kind of game-changer.

From Neogaf forums:

"Why don't they just admit what they're doing for once and include a Sex Mode where you just walk around the Normandy having sex with everybody"

:D

Hey! I want that game!
:D

Late to the party, so I'll refrain from commenting about the different game modes and throw a few random comments about the story (what I gathered from the leaked videos).

So, the Reapers return and attack Earth. Who would have guessed, eh? So, Shepard has to go and unite the galaxy against the Reapers - again. Who would've guessed, eh? With so much at stake and time being of essence, I'm betting Shepard still has ample time to go rescuing puppies and solving petty crimes for some random NPC while the Earth is under attack by the most ultimate badasses of the universe (gotta have sidequests). He also has ample time to prove himself to his teammates by helping them to solve their father issues or perhaps aid them in getting a divorce. The same teammates, BTW, who've been fighting with him against the Reapers (etc.) since game 1. So, for the Nth time we're helping them, before they'll help us fully, before they'll give use of their special talent/story point (one use in one part of the endgame) to the team - IOW, we're doing the loyalty quests for them, again.

I bet Shepard also has ample time to have the Normandy act as a mining ship while he gathers minerals to improve the ship (one screenshot shows mineral tallies) - this could not be done by any other ship (I dunno, like a mining ship perhaps), nor the improvements done like-the-hell-now-pay-the-bill-later because Earth is being destroyed and the fate of the entire Human race is at stake; nope, Shepard has to go, pay the bill/get the minerals on his own and use a warship for this.

While all this is going on, Shepard (being the guy/gal that he/she is) has also ample time to go banging humans and aliens of any gender all around the galaxy and use his/her special form of persuasion by collar-grabbing people left and right. If he/she has some extra time on his/her hands, the good Commander can go endorsing all the shops in the Citadel to get a small discount in them. Universe saving isn't a big enough cause, you see.

Also, for some reason the Cerberus opposes Shepard and by doing so helps the Reapers, who are (need I remind you) out to eliminate all sentient life - but I guess Cerberus doesn't count themselves sentient. I sure don't. Why don't they just shoot themselves in the head. It's quicker and the end result is the same.

And so on and so forth. Mass Effect series ceased to make any sense to me long time ago. ME1 was OK and had promise of a good series, ME2 moved to the wrong direction RPG-wise, plus the story went down the drain. I'm seeing the same pattern as with the Dragon Age series here. The first game is OK and holds promise, then the second one goes "retardo" and trashes any hope given by the first. As to the third, it remains to be seen (in both cases). I might still buy ME3, to complete the series, but I don't have much hope of it being a good RPG or even a good shooter/RPG (firefights looked the same as in ME2, cover-crouching whack-a-mole, ahoy!). Too bad, a good AAA sci-fi CRPG would've been just what the doctor ordered (no pun intended, Bio).

Well but the point is that the screen shots don't show you that they are trying to make a jack of all trades type of game. They just show the same options that have been in every Bioware game since KoTOR. What exactly is different other then an option to simplify dialog?

Really? That's odd, because I think that's exactly what they show. As far as every Bioware game since KotOR, is this really the first time you've seen these type of comments?

Anyways, there's a difference between actual "complaints" and sarcastic jabs, which is mostly what I'm seeing here. Are you sure it's everyone else who's overreacting?

Not sure if they were just testing features, but the character progression menu seems to be a bit more complex than ME2, at least on "RPG mode" or whatever it's called:

http://youtu.be/NH67x4422Dc?hd=1&t=3m57s

(check 03:57)

There appear to be some new skills like Fitness, Martial Arts, Carry Weight Capacity, etc.

Last edited:
Really? That's odd, because I think that's exactly what they show. ?

But you haven't explained at all why you think that. Several posters have already explained in detail why the screen shots do not show that. You haven't made any effort to explain why they do. So if that's your argument, at least try to back it up so we can understand why you think what you do. It makes for much better discussion.

Anyways, there's a difference between actual "complaints" and sarcastic jabs, which is mostly what I'm seeing here. Are you sure it's everyone else who's overreacting?

We will simply have to agree to disagree about whether statements like "If this is true I call bullshit and Bioware loses even more respect from me" and "They're pushing the combat so much it feels as if this is a complete shooter game now." count as complaints. But that's not really the point of the discussion.

That goes with what we've seen in other reports. Most of the previews have said that there is significantly more character customization in ME3.

Not sure if they were just testing features, but the character progression menu seems to be a bit more complex than ME2, at least on "RPG mode" or whatever it's called:

http://youtu.be/NH67x4422Dc?hd=1&t=3m57s

(check 03:57)

There appear to be some new skills like Fitness, Martial Arts, Carry Weight Capacity, etc.

Personally, I'd go even so far as to say that people here fear that they miht become alienated - that Bioware consideres the "shooter crowd" as more important than the RPG crowd".

I'm curious how you know this? I mean, in all the other mass effect threads that you come into with these known issues with the game, you admitted to never playing any of them. Crazy.

But you haven't explained at all why you think that. Several posters have already explained in detail why the screen shots do not show that. You haven't made any effort to explain why they do. So if that's your argument, at least try to back it up so we can understand why you think what you do. It makes for much better discussion.

First, who is "we"? Since most of the people here don't seem to share your opinion, I don't think that's quite accurate.

There's no "argument" here. Just you getting your panties in a bunch because you didn't like some people's comments.

We will simply have to agree to disagree about …*snip*

I was starting to wonder if you understood that concept. I'm glad you do…

Personally, I'm thinking about getting hysteric because of the Origin sniffer supposed to come along with it.

^This!

Those three options are nothing when compared to Origin being on this game.

^This!

Those three options are nothing when compared to Origin being on this game.

But that was a given - all EA games will have this. I find the "auto response" mode intersting from a different perspective: isn't the big argument against C&C always that it locks people out of content and is therefore an ineffective use of resources? And isn't one of the main selling poits of Bioware games that they do "characters" so well? How does that go along with locking people out of content that defines character?

There has been lots of discussion on on this thread by people who share my opinion and people who do not. Anyway you have made it clear that you are not interested in having a mature conversation about this so we can move on.

First, who is "we"? Since most of the people here don't seem to share your opinion, I don't think that's quite accurate.

There's no "argument" here. Just you getting your panties in a bunch because you didn't like some people's comments.

But that was a given - all EA games will have this. I find the "auto response" mode intersting from a different perspective: isn't the big argument against C&C always that it locks people out of content and is therefore an ineffective use of resources? And isn't one of the main selling poits of Bioware games that they do "characters" so well? How does that go along with locking people out of content that defines character?

I think the "auto response" is just there for all those people who complain about having to wade through long conversation trees in bioware games. The types of players who will use it aren't as likely to care about things like defining character.

So, auto dialogue pick or extreme dumbed down combat (as if it wasn't dumbed down enough already). What's next? DA3 = auto-pilot/game plays by itself?

Why do they even call this rpg? No, why do they call this a game? Might as well just sit back and let PC do all the work and think I'm watching a movie.

No one is claiming that they made two separate games, just that they seem to be trying to make a "jack of all trades" type game, which is something a lot of people here don't want.

Which is actually good news. This was already apparant in ME2, right? I can only see them implement deeper RPG elements compared to ME2, like they already told us, and that's what we want, right? Can nobody besides DeepO and fadedc see that this actually suggests a positive change, or does every cRPG fan here now suddenly see ME2 as more than a shooter with lots of dialogue?

Well yes I always saw ME2 as it was. Frankly it amazes me how loyal and fanatical some people can be. Remember keep telling developers there great and cant do anything wrong. Eventually they get full of themselves and loose sight of what a good game is. They will end up shell of there former self's that will eventually be shut down.

I hope the game is still good and doesn't suffer from the constant changes. I don't think adding some stats will improve the rpg part though. Fingers crossed as hopefully part three will have a story more like the first one also. We will see.

Last edited:
The mode setting is absolutely fine for me. I'll play on 'RPG', but my wife loves the Mass Effect story/setting/characters but hates playing shooters, so the story mode is perfect for her. Likewise I've got younger friends who just want to enjoy a shooter with a nice story and they'll be happiest in the combat mode.

Ideally it'd be nice to have separate game serieses for each of these market segments, but if that happens we know that they'll just go where the money is (combat) and people who like the RPG elements won't get a game. If these different modes for the same game is the best way of getting at least some decisions etc. into the game then I'm all for it.

Back
Top Bottom