Anyone played planet alcatraz ??

Lannister

Watchdog
So has anyone played/tested Planet Alcatraz, it can be bought at gamersgate ??

L:

I have heard it is a better choice to Farewell to Dragons, but haven't tried it yet ...

Sorry guys, been a little busy lately.

I got it from GamersGate around Christmas time and I've only had time to play the first map which is basically the tutorial. The official word from the manual is that it is a 3D role-playing game with an isometric view, featuring real-time combat and movement across the game world. It is a nonlinear adventure game shooter (not FPS shooter ;))

I have three words for you 'Prince of Qin'. That is my first impression when reading the dialogue. It is a very bad translation. The game on the other hand looks very interesting, but just like in Prince of Qin you have to be very forgiving with the dialogue.

Now if you can overlook the dialogue there is a fun game to be had. If you have played The Fall then you will be very familiar with the gameplay. The thing I didn't like about The Fall was that you got 5 party members way too fast. There was no chance to get accustomed to the game before they forced you to get all of the party members. So far I'm on my own, but I'm sure that will change once I get to a town. Of course, the other game that this reminds me of would be Fallout, but without the turn-based battles. It's real-time with pause.

The game is set on the prison planet Alcatraz and you are sent in there to find out if the inmates are building a spacecraft. You are part of a saboteur team sent there disguised as convicts to locate the construction site if it exists. After locating the construction site you were to send the location to an orbital station so they could demolish it, but something goes wrong and you crash land on the planet.

That's the story now comes the good part. Skills and tons of weapons. They don't just have your normal guns since it is a prison planet. There are all kinds of weapons like lead knuckledusters, 'rose knife' (a broken bottle), shivs, stone daggers, bamboo and iron spears, all kinds of grenades and pistols, 12 different kinds of handmade guns (I like these) ranging from homemade doublebarrel shotguns to flintlocks. Then you have your normal kinds of guns like rifles, machine guns, SMGs, shotguns and a few of the heavy weapons ranging from bazookas, grenade launchers and heavy machine guns.

Those are just the weapons there are also a ton of items to get. Food like potatoes, cat carrots (have no idea why it is called 'cat' carrots. They look just like normal carrots), corn and a few others. Six different kinds of meds and of course all kinds of drugs (this is a prison after all ;))

I've only encountered tribals and one guerrilla (pain in the butt to kill. Took most of the potatoes and cat carrots I had to stay alive while I killed it). There are different kinds of monsters, but I haven't run across them yet.

Attributes
Strength: ability to use heavier weapons and more damage with melee weapons.
Agility: Movement speed and all combat skills.
Health: Same as constitution, just different name.
Perception: Shooting accuracy.
Charisma: Self explanatory
Intelligence: increases learning rate of all skills and non-combat skills.

There are secondary attributes like melee attack poison resistance etc… that are affected by your main attributes. Same as in Fallout.

Skills (weapons are self explanatory. The better your skill in them the more likely you'll hit)
Pistols and shotguns
Heavy weapons

Imperial Weapons: Forgot to mention these when listing weapons. Basically space age weapons except for the Space Marine Combat Knife. That inflicts critical hits every time. The others are your basic blasters and railgun.
Thrown Weapons
Melee Combat: Affects attack and defense
Scouting: Detects enemies. This is not a useless skill. You can sneak up on enemies to take them out before they have a chance to see you, like in Silent Storm.
Repair: The more complex the device the higher the repair skill required to fix it.
First Aid: Just like Fallout.
Trade: Self explanatory
Thieving: Lockpicking and pickpocket skills rolled into one.

There are perks as well, but they are not listed in the manual. You have to find out for yourself. They say there are several groups with three perks in each group. There are specific weapon increases, poison resistance, moving quickly in heavy armor and others. I'll let you know more about these when I get more of them.

The game goes into a lot of detail (which I love) like reliabilty of weapons, condition, repair skill required to fix it, modifying weapons and armor and more.

That is the basics. So far I'm impressed with the amount of detail in this game concerning combat. I haven't had a chance to get to a town and see the other areas of the game yet.

Basically if you don't mind reading some dialogue that is poorly translated I would say pick this one up if you have a Fallout itch. It's the closest thing to it since The Fall and most of you weren't able to play that one in English.

Last edited:
$5 US as well ... insta buy for me

Back
Top Bottom