A list of possible Roleplaying Games in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
how would one go about defining exactly what an RPG is??

*gets on tiger bus heading out of state*

*empties a petrol can over himself and hands out the matches*

RPG: A series of goals whose resolutions are contained within a narrative shaped by the player(s).

I guess Overlord must be taken out.
But I'm not sure.

Fact is, that I've just found two newsbits on the site of the German gaming mag "Gamestar".

One mentiones a trailer, and the other thing are lots of screenshots : http://www.gamestar.de/aktuell/screenshots/overlord/52401/overlord.html

You can find a link to the trailer on the site of the German mag "PC Games" : http://www.pcgames.de/?article_id=572182
It directs to this one : http://www.worthdownloading.com/download.php?gid=2512&id=10581

Interview : http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/771/771018p1.html

Last edited:
I would take down the fall...
just my 2 cents but really nothing was said about this game for the last 2 years, I seriously doubt an english release is something that's going to happen...

Strange, not one of these Games does really interest me... maybe something decent can evolve out of Dragon Age, if the Game is easy modable... all of them have the bitter taste of Oblivion :(

Well, except the Indies, and most of them are not party-based :(

Couldn't this list be turned into a standing feature for the RPGwatch main page? A monthly updated list with games in development, and their current status (including release date, if known?). I would like that, although this thread is good too.

Good Idea.

Takes too much time.

Here's my personal list of games I'm anticipating (for one reason or another; please, make a note of that before you question my taste). There are quite a few RPGs (depending on how you define the genre) in there. I can't take the time to pick through it right now, so you'll have to live with what's there.
The list was last updated yesterday. All listed dates are noted as according to the latest information released from the publishers and encompass the North American editions only.

UFO: Afterlight --- June 1st, 2007
Call for Heroes: Pompolic Wars --- June 19th, 2007
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition --- June 26th, 2007
Overlord --- June 26th, 2007
Two Worlds --- July 17th, 2007
Numen --- August 20th, 2007
BioShock --- August 21st, 2007
Loki --- August 24th, 2007
The Witcher --- September 25th, 2007
Avencast --- September 30th, 2007
Depths of Peril --- Q2 2007
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom --- Q2 2007
Legend: Hand of God --- Q2 2007
Paradise City --- Q2 2007
Reprobates --- Q2 2007
Age of Pirates: Captain Blood --- Q3 2007
Crysis --- Q3 2007
Elveon --- Q3 2007
Galactic Assault (Inhabited Island) --- Q3 2007
Hard to Be A God --- Q3 2007
Heavy Duty --- Q3 2007
Hellgate: London --- Q3 2007
Savage 2: A Tortured Soul --- Q3 2007
Stranglehold --- Q3 2007
The Precursors --- Q3 2007
Collapse: Devastated World --- Q4 2007
Empire Earth III --- Q4 2007
Hei$t --- Q4 2007
Kings Bounty: The Legend --- Q4 2007
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames --- Q4 2007
NecroVisioN --- Q4 2007
Sabotage --- Q4 2007 (http://www.sabotage-game.de/)
Shadow of Aten --- Q4 2007
The Club --- Q4 2007
Timeshift --- Q4 2007
Ugo Volt --- Q4 2007
Warhound --- Q4 2007
White Gold: War in Paradise --- Q4 2007
2 Days to Vegas --- 2007
Assassin's Creed --- 2007
Culpa Innata --- 2007
Disciples III: Renaissance --- 2007
Heart of Eternity --- 2007
Mythos (Flagship Studios) --- 2007
Possession --- 2007
Winterheart's Guild --- 2007
Sins of a Solar Empire --- February 2008
Drakensang: The Dark Eye --- Q1 2008
Dragon Age --- Q1 2008
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel --- Q1 2008
Rogue Warrior --- Q1 2008
Spore --- Q1 2008
The Wall --- Q1 2008
Hero (Gamecock) --- Q1 2009
Afterfall --- Unknown Release Date
Alan Wake --- Unknown Release Date
Beltion: Beyond Ritual --- Unknown Release Date
Beowulf --- Unknown Release Date
Death to Spies --- Unknown Release Date
Divine Divinty 2 --- Unknown Release Date
Dues Ex 3 --- Unknown Release Date
Dungeon Cleaners --- Unknown Release Date
ENOSTA: Discovery Beyond --- Unknown Release Date
Exodus from the Earth --- Unknown Release Date
Fallen Lords: Condemnation --- Unknown Release Date
Fallout 3 --- Unknown Release Date
Far Cry 2 --- Unknown Release Date
Forgotten Stories: Echoes of Destiny --- Unknown Release Date
Frater --- Unknown Release Date
Grafan --- Unknown Release Date
Grotesque: Heroes Hunted --- Unknown Release Date
HAZE --- Unknown Release Date
Heretic Kingdoms: Reluctant Hero --- Unknown Release Date
Incarnation --- Unknown Release Date
Inquisitor --- Unknown Release Date
Interstellar Marines --- Unknown Release Date
Jagged Alliance 3 --- Unknown Release Date
Not the Time for Dragons --- Unknown Release Date
Phase: Exodus --- Unknown Release Date
Project Offset (Working Title) --- Unknown Release Date
Star Heritage 0: Ship of Ages --- Unknown Release Date
Starcraft II --- Unknown Release Date
Starfall (Hyboreal Games) --- Unknown Release Date
Stranger --- Unknown Release Date
SOLAR --- Unknown Release Date
Swashbucklers: Legacy of Drake --- Unknown Release Date
The Crossing (Arkane Studios) --- Unknown Release Date
The Fall: Last Days of Gaia --- Unknown Release Date
The Lord of the Creatures --- Unknown Release Date
The Tales of Walenir --- Unknown Release Date
World of Chaos --- Unknown Release Date

Anyone else tried to visit the official site for The Witcher and run into a dead end?

Having gotten tired of the proliferation of Flash-based advertisements on so many sites, I haven't upgraded the flash player in months, so if the entry to the site is via some sort of animation using that browser add-in, I'll not be getting in.

I visited a Wikipedia site to read about the game, and also did get to view a lengthy selection of screen shots that is on the official site, but never got to see anything else they had to say. The screen shots show what the NWN1/ 2 Aurora Engine is capable of, with some enhancements.

Age of Pirates: Captain Blood --- Q3 2007

Dont hold your breath for that one. Age of Pirates: Carribean Tales (which I think Captain Blood is supposed to built upon) might well be the buggiest game I've ever played (it starts out ok but after playing for a while you'll experience crashes every 15 minutes, accompanied by warning beeps from the pc speaker), and is poorly patched to boot. Akella's pirate games (Seadogs, Pirates of the Carribean, AoP) seem to get buggier by each generation, which is a pity given the looks and the feel of the games when they actually work:(

after playing for a while you'll experience crashes every 15 minutes, accompanied by warning beeps from the pc speaker)

I haven't played the game and can't comment on its buginess but what you described right there sounds much more like a technical problem with your computer.
It is/was probably overheating at the time and the beeps was the temperature alert from your mainboard.
A game alone (i.e. the game code whether it's buggy or not) can not possibly cause the PC speaker to go off, unless the game has some very weird, mad, leet BIOS haXX built in :biggrin: .
Seriously, the chances of overheating (or any other internal system components malfunction) vs a bug with the game are 99.999 vs 0.001 in this case ;) .

Seriously, the chances of overheating (or any other internal system components malfunction) vs a bug with the game are 99.999 vs 0.001 in this case .

I thought that too at first, but I am 100% sure that it isnt a matter of my PC overheating. I ran all kinds of diagnostics software and replaced my power supply (because it was a noisy POS, not due to the game:p) around that time without solving the issue (that I only had with that game, not with Oblivion, Gothic 3, Neverwinter Nights 2, Medieval 2, or any other demanding game. Of these at least G3 and Neverwinter Nights should be a lot more taxing on the system than AoP:CT...

Checking out their official forums revealed page upon page of complaints about the very same beeping/crashing issues. I havent tried their latest patch, but it didnt stop the complaints on the forum... For me it was not just the PC speaker issue either, you have bugs like NPCs disappearing and governors randomly stopping giving you missions, not to mention frequent crashing and cargo holds suffering from some weird byte overflow... Akella simply messed up that title beyond reason and it will take some serious work to get anything running that engine up to a reasonable standard:(

EDIT: Heck, I even tried running with the casing off and a table top fan blowing at the MoBo before I received my new PSU:p I am not exagerrating when I say that is the buggiest game I've ever tried, worse than Daggerfall 1.0. Whatever causes the instability seems to accumulate over time, so you are unlikely to spot it in the beginning.

EDIT2: So I think I can say that the prior probabilities were way off this time:p

EDIT3: It might also beep WITHOUT crashing, which is a bit odd, since my experience with overheating systems (had my share of that with a badly ventilated AMD some years ago) is that you hear the beep followed by a forced shutdown of the system... But the game only propels you back to desktop...

Last edited:
That's definitely really weird :) . I'm not a coder but to the best of my knowledge, for the PC speaker to go off, you have to actually write code on the "hardware" level of the speaker (BIOS code) to make it beep. I mean it doesn't just beep when it feels like beeping, right? :biggrin:
So maybe the programmers of that game used the PC speaker as a means of audible feedback for some debugging stuff before the sound engine was implemented and then left that code in the game when they had to wrap it up in a rush job for release? That's the only way I could imagine that code would stay in the game that makes the PC speaker go off. Very strange :) .

So maybe the programmers of that game used the PC speaker as a means of audible feedback for some debugging stuff

Sounds somehow like a very, very cool idea ! :) During debugging only, of course. :)

By the way, Dr. Watson, the small program accompanied by most Windows systems (or all, I don't know) could beep as well, during crashes, when given certain parameters under Windows 3.1 . :)

Strange, not one of these Games does really interest me... maybe something decent can evolve out of Dragon Age, if the Game is easy modable... all of them have the bitter taste of Oblivion :(

Well, except the Indies, and most of them are not party-based :(

I agree 100%. Even though there are a lot of new games coming out over the next 6-8 months, none of them really appeal to me either. The only exception is Bioshock.

I agree 100%. Even though there are a lot of new games coming out over the next 6-8 months, none of them really appeal to me either. The only exception is Bioshock.

Heh, I don't agree. There are at least five games that I'm interested in. Like Grotesque, The Witcher, Fallout 3... Actually there are at least ten games that I will surely play.

It's going to be a nice year! And the next one too!

I'm not sure why you would mention Fallout 3 when that game is much further than a year away from being released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom