What's most important in a good game?

fengzi597

Watcher
http://news.mmosite.com/content/q/2012-04-20/what_kind_of_games_on_earth_can_grab_players_1.shtml

For players who are fastidious about character modules, they don't want to have a shot at the game with rough graphics and ugly characters, even though the gameplay is really wonderful. In this sense, it is the most important to capture players' hearts at their first sight of the game.

game1.jpg

Are you kidding me? Aesthetics including graphics and character design is only an added plus, which is definitely not the most important thing in a good game. They may seem nice at first, but that doesn't really affect the fun of the game. Even more, many games with good aesthetics are just Apple of Sodom, such as Crysis, Mass Effect, and Far Cry 2. In addition, sometimes excellent graphics are a double sided sword, coz players have to get a high hardware to run it.

Gameplay obviously comes first! It is the core structure of the game as a whole. If the main concept of the game doesn't work or isn't fun, it will totally ruin the game. Aesthetic will only get you so far if the gameplay is absolute shit. I won’t play any boring games even I like the way they look. And I used to have a lot of fun with some games with nice gameplay and bad graphics, such as Minecraft and Runescape.

In short, gameplay is far more important than Aesthetics. If the gameplay is good, then who the hell cares about the aesthetics.

Furthmore, below's my top 4 things that I look for in a good game.
1. Gameplay (According to what I have said above).
2. Storyline (A lot of games are very popular due to their great storyline, which makes me wanna play through the game again).
3. Aesthetics (Great graphics and art style will make a game better, but which is not the main point).
4. Sound (Without doubt, it is the least important).

What do you think is most important in a good game?

Does anyone wanna talk about it?:)

gameplay first! female NPCs with big boobs right after that!

Part of the problem is how utterly subjective it is. Everyone will have a different choice.

Right of the bat I tend to be a bit of a graphics whore. Or to be more precise I like my avatar in the game to be as optimal as possible in regards to detail, options to create, equipment etc. An avatar can make or break a game purchase for me. I have to be able to connect with my character I see on screen so if I don't like how they look or who they are ... the rest of the game falls apart as I won't be able to get into my character.

Beyond that I value (in no particular order):

- Choice and Consequence
- Multiple paths and endings (see C&C)
- Plenty of stats to fool around with (any combination of stats, abilities, skills, talents, etc. give me lots of stuff to fiddle and plan every level up)
- Uniqueness. I detest cookie cutter gaming. The more I can make my character my own the better
- Companions and relationships (friends, romance or whatever). I love party banter and interaction
- Fun combat with challenge and variety (but include difficulty sliders)
- Jumping! Damn it don't make my feet glued to the ground
- Optional: Underwater stuff
- Exploration and a fairly open world
- Interesting story and quests

and probably a whole lot more.

The TL;DR version would be a marriage between Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas with perhaps a touch of ME3 (for the companion interaction but minus ending) and DAO.

To answer the question in the title: The most important thing in a good game is - it's fun!

If a game is not fun, if it's boring (grinding), annoying and frustrating - it's not good. Even if its full of boobs!

Most important? Good folks to play with. I think that's the biggest reason behind WoW's continuing dominance. A lot of good friends will make even an awful game fun. No friends at all mean the game turns into a chore in 3 months or less even if it's an incredible game.

In short, gameplay is far more important than Aesthetics. If the gameplay is good, then who the hell cares about the aesthetics.
Gameplay is very important for KEEPING you in the game. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to market. Players are more likely to give a game a look if you show them some flashy graphics.

gameplay first! female NPCs with big boobs right after that!

Most important? Good folks to play with. I think that's the biggest reason behind WoW's continuing dominance. A lot of good friends will make even an awful game fun. No friends at all mean the game turns into a chore in 3 months or less even if it's an incredible game.

I forgot community. I like playing games with good folks, too.

Back
Top Bottom