Risen 3: Titan Lords - Review @ RPS

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun posted their final review for Risen 3: Titan Lords after writing 10 daily diaries from playing the game. Here is a short quote from the final one.

As much as the awkwardness, the wobbly writing and the ghastly attitudes often pushed me away from Risen, I’d still take its offbeat ambition and clumsy ambition over a slick, impersonal Diablo or a focus grouped Bioware effort. At the same time, sharper, caveman-free writing and a big spend on more accomplished voice-acting would be redempetive – would transform Risen from appealingly odd and into truly impressive. But maybe what’s special about this would be lost if it were able to pursue norms. Perhaps it needs to be as weird and awkward and unpleasant as it is. Perhaps that’s why I like it so much, even when I hate it.
More information.

This "caveman writing" is a trademark of the Gothic & Risen games here in Germany. Maybe it works better in the original language. The dialog is so over the top of anything serious that everyone should easily recognize that...

I would hasten to make a clear distinction between the writing styles present in Gothic and Risen. At least for me, Risen contains a much more minimalistic and slightly more subuded approach to dialogue whilst the sequel was overtly more bawdy and much more expletive laden than its predecessors.

Gothic on the other hand has the irrepressibly dry wit of the Nameless Hero. it's certainly not by any means what I'd term as "caveman writing".

Whilst I think both series have that Piranaha Bytes staple of eschewing a more stilted or "purple prose" oriented verbosity, I think the differences in english and style are still reasonably clear.

when the standards dropped so low.. of course you have to appreciate these efforts

Back
Top Bottom