The Walking Dead: Season 2!

Dale is quite likable as well. They haven't fleshed him out yet, but you'll start to understand the drama with the girl a little later. At least if they try to stick to the comic a little bit.
I get it that the writers want a moral compass. Thing is, we're talking zombie apocolypse--is a moral compass really all that appropriate in such a situation? "We've got to bury people because it's what decent folk do!" Dude, it's assholes and elbows to get out of an attack zone and screw the dead--you can apologize to them later when they show up to nibble on your arm. I don't like the bug-eyed actor (playing Buddha with a facial expression more suited to a pro wrestling interview just doesn't work for me), so that's certainly coloring my view, but it seems like they're forcing the whole thing simply because "Dammit, every story ever written has a moral compass character so we must need one too!"

Well, it's not supposed to be a moral compass for anything. The whole thing with the girl is for purely shelfish reasons. He doesn't want to lose her. Again you'll find out soon. :) The good parts are coming up I HOPE. But yea him saying they should bury the bodies is sorta asinine.

In the book they touched on morals a few times and especially later on when you could compare and contrast how these group of survivors lived vs the next ones they will meet.

Dale is a great character later. He isn't supposed to be the moral compass though. He's more like Obi Wan to the Sherifs Luke Skywalker. In small ways at least. If they stick to the book then you'll see how he evolves.

Where they are headed, I'm thinking they are going to end the season at this place I keep mentioning. Then it gets REALLY good :) Stupid freaking drive to CDC and that highway nonsense slowed them down from getting there.

Dale is a great character later. He isn't supposed to be the moral compass though. He's more like Obi Wan to the Sherifs Luke Skywalker. In small ways at least. If they stick to the book then you'll see how he evolves.
OK, but why does this Obi Wan always have to look like Charles Manson on his 8th cup of coffee? ;)

I get it that the writers want a moral compass. Thing is, we're talking zombie apocolypse—is a moral compass really all that appropriate in such a situation? "We've got to bury people because it's what decent folk do!" Dude, it's assholes and elbows to get out of an attack zone and screw the dead—you can apologize to them later when they show up to nibble on your arm. I don't like the bug-eyed actor (playing Buddha with a facial expression more suited to a pro wrestling interview just doesn't work for me), so that's certainly coloring my view, but it seems like they're forcing the whole thing simply because "Dammit, every story ever written has a moral compass character so we must need one too!"

YES! This! When the xombie acopalypse hits, it's survival, I say find a cruise ship and go to the deep seas!

Yes, I have spend too manjy hours thinking about it.

Ok guys, let's talk about Episode 3.

I was about to throw this one under the bus until the last five minutes, and then… YES, finally something that really grabbed my attention. I knew Shane was a bastard, but…wow!

Still too much crying though, and I'm really starting to dislike Lori. Not just the character, but her acting as well. It's just sub-par all around. Just my opinion.

I was glad to see Glen (Asian guy) finally get a little more screen time after being completely ignored in the first two episodes. I liked him in the first season, and I think he's underutilized.

Overall though, I liked it a lot more than the first two episodes this season.

Last edited:
I had very low expectations, which might have helped.. but i liked it too, this is the dark stuff i've been hoping to see..

Hopefully a little less whining in the next ep, and Shane just got a lot more interesting :)

Last edited:
Nice, glad to see some positive reactions. I forgot all about it, going to have to catch up here in the coming days. Have too many kids to scare tonight, dressing the schnauzer up as a bat too..

Hell yes - this episode was a lot better than the last one!

The hanging zombie scene was cool, the whole Shane/Otis situation was exciting and unexpected, the proverbial "farmer's daughter" is hot in a ashley judd sorta way… still more carrying on about the damn kid(s) (plz die ok thx bye) and all that, but whatver. As long as they hook me up w/ other good stuff, I can take it. Shane's a badass mofo, loved that one point blank zombie kill at the window.

Good episode!

Anyone catch the brand name of Dale's cigarettes? I think it was Morley. Wasn't that the same fake brand in the X-Files?

It was a good episode, but the writers for the wife are horrible. They need to stop making me want dropkick some sense into her.

I do love that this being a non-network show, it isn't as locked into predictability. My wife asked me last week if I though Carl would die and I really had no idea. If this was network, not a chance. And Otis? Yeah, that would never happen on network TV.

Besides, Otis deserved it. He forgot rule #1 of Zombieland!

When you get down to it, the only character they've got right now that's worth a crap is the redneck (sorry, I can't remember any of the characters' names, probably a bad sign), and that's a supporting role so they can't hang the series on that.
Not sure how you're able to draw a line between what characters are "worth a crap" so easily. So I'll have to kindly disagree with your "analysis". Daryl has become likeable, sure, and it's his pragmatic stoicism that helps make him easier to like. But initially the actor appeared to be wanting to impersonate an angrier Leonardo Di Caprio from "The Departed". I also tend to question the plausibility of him electing to stay with the group considering who he is and what he's experienced. Hopefully these conflicting elements will be further explored as the season progresses. (The return of Marle?)
Sheriff #1 is a decent lead, but they're really screwing up his "badass briefly cracks under the pressure" moment by both misplacing it and dragging it out too long.
What? I'm supposed to see the main lead somehow as a badass? I'm assuming you mean Rick by the way. Sorry, but that seems odd to me - I don't follow your thinking since that perception has never even crossed my mind. Could be an American thing though. ;) I think he's a good, solid lead character who really grounds the story with his ethical considerations. Essentially he's just trying to cling to hope for his family and survive.
Sheriff #2 is a bastard and his episode 2 heroics are totally out of character. He's got no reason to "seek redemption" at this point.
Shane is an alpha-male driven to desperation and burdened by the guilt of his choices. I fundamentally disagree that he has no reason to seek redemption - he has his friendship to salvage and a truth that he has to keep hidden; as well as a
longing to maintain some sort of connection from his taboo relationship with Lori. These things will partially influence and drive him to more desperate actions - as we saw in episode 3.
I also don't agree that he has no redemptive qualities at all - look at the episode in season 1 where he protected the women from the wife-bashing character for instance. He's an internally conflicted character and I like the ambiguity the actor gives the role.
RV Guy just annoys the piss out of me. Not sure why.
Dale? Why? I don't see any reason to be intolerant of him. I think his relationship with the Andrea character is interesting. (And good pick up JDR, I'd forgotten about the actor being in Silent Hill…a game film adaptation I actually quite liked)
Asian Guy is wallpaper. Haven't noticed him since last season.
Again, I disagree. Each of the characters within the main group are designated tasks and are doing something - whether or not it's onscreen the more is another issue at this point. We'll see more of Glenn though, I'm sure of it. I had to smile at the image of his flying down the highway in the pretty mustang…
Sheriff Kid and Girl Kid are just plot devices. Kids are a necessary complication in shows like this, but ultimately they have no depth of their own—they're just vehicles for plots involving adult characters.
Bit reductionist and cynical don't you think? Particularly in the light of Carl's epiphany with the deer and that reaffirmation of life (which Lori needed.)
Baldie Mom is cardboard these days. Actually, that's fairly reasonable given her background story, but her story arc was pretty much completed last season. She's just baggage these days.
Agree with you here in a way - because she just seems so disempowered and one-dimensional at this point. Calling her baggage is a bit harsh though.
Blondie is just not getting it done. They can't decide whether they want her to be a suicidal quitter or a tough broad. The repeated swing between those roles has made her a pointless mish-mash desperately in need of becoming Zombie Chow.
She's not getting it done because that's part of the whole point of exploring a character's makeup is it not? To look at the shades of grey in decision making and to pose questions about what we value and who we are?

The sheriffs kid will become a bad ass really quick. Has to or die quickly in this world. I won't spoil it for you, but in the book the kid comes into his own soon enough.

The asian will get more of a role now that we are at the farm.

Not to worry, Pess. I'd consider it a sign of skillful writing (which, unfortunately, isn't always the same thing as "good" writing) that folks can get significantly different impressions from the same characters. That said, I don't see much reason to revise my opinions after watching episode 3.

Rick has been cool under extreme pressure and led the group thru major crises. So, facing the biggest crisis possible, he turns into weepy, aimless mess? Nope. His "humanizing" moment should have come after the crisis is resolved.

Shane is fine, but you've got to ask, "Why a hero now?" There was absolutely no reason for Shane's selfish behavior to flip at that point in time. He had numerous options available to him at that point in time, all of which entailed greater possible reward and less personal risk.

Sorry, I just can't like Dale. It's the actor far more than the character. The guy could say, "I have to take a piss" and he'd try to make it a dramatic Shakespearian tour-de-force, all while sporting that bug-eyed Charles Manson crazy face. I don't get excited about "conscience of the party" characters anyway, but the actor just totally sucks rocks for me.

I've got no problem with Glenn, but they've done absolutely nothing with him in many episodes. I liked his Mustang scene, too. What's he done since?

The kids are too young for a "coming of age" storyline and too frail to carry any load for the group. Their sole purpose is to create situations for the adults to deal with--getting lost, getting shot, running off, causing a "fatherly love" triangle, giving Mommy a renewed desire to live. I've got no problem with that and it's a very useful literary tool, but the characters have no attraction of their own.

Baldie Mom is still an empty shirt. Her story arc is done. Unless they introduce a new plot line for her, she's utterly expendable.

Andrea isn't doing shades of grey, though. She's ping-ponging between dazzling white and black-hole black. One minute, she's cleaning guns and literally kicking a zombie to a pulp and five minutes later she's suicidal...again. Bipolar much? Besides, we've already got Bug Eye Charlie Manson to do our "deep thoughts" moments for us, so what's her purpose?
=======
Gotta say, I saw the Otis thing coming a mile away. Still nicely done, though. I remain hopeful that we'll get a couple new members of the party from the farm folks to replace a couple current members that have run their course.

The kids are too young for a "coming of age" storyline and too frail to carry any load for the group. Their sole purpose is to create situations for the adults to deal with—getting lost, getting shot, running off, causing a "fatherly love" triangle, giving Mommy a renewed desire to live. I've got no problem with that and it's a very useful literary tool, but the characters have no attraction of their own.

If they stick with the comic then you'll see more from him than just a plot point. I really hope they keep this part because it shows how the world is messing him up from his point of view and how he is dealing with it. Becoming strong enough and having to make some difficult choices.

I don't think this will happen this season. It's not for awhile, but the little dude becomes a little badass soon enough.

Unfortunately i'm talking about that.

Is this show aimed at girls / women 15-25? I'm begining to think this "zombie" thing is just a cover up so that women can trick their boyfriends / husbands into watching this emo drama shit together with them.

Come on now it wasn't *that* bad. I'll agree it was a bit of a letdown compared to Episode 3 though.

The 'zombie in the well' scene was cool as hell, and Glenn actually got himself some poon-tang.

Can't wait for Episode 5 though. Did you watch the "scenes from next week's episode" bit at the end?

Merle!

Back
Top Bottom