Space Rangers HD - Review @ StrategyInformer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
StrategyInformer reviews the HD release of Space Rangers awarding the game with a final score of 8/10.

It may not be much to look at, especially considering what’s just around the corner, but as a nostalgia trip and even just as a game, there’s plenty here for space adventurers. My only real problems with the game are the RTS segments mentioned above, and the fact that it’s hard to fly solo in this game. A dominator-held system is likely to have several battleships and a lot of smaller ships just sitting around waiting to blast anyone silly enough to enter the system, which means you have to wait for the AI to attack a system and then join. Even then though, if they decided to gang up on you it can be hard to tank that kind of onslaught in anything but the mightiest of ships, which takes a lot of grinding of missions and trading in order to afford. In fact, any kind of group encounter is hard until you’ve levelled your character up enough to control multiple ships, and you’ve gotten a better ship yourself. Still, they’ll be plenty of AI pirates who’ll try and go one-on-one with you that you can always whale on.
More information.

Didn't read the review, but in prior versions of the game, it was certainly possible to liberate Dominator controlled systems by yourself with care and patience. Not easy, but certainly possible.

It still is, as far as I can tell..I'm not strong enough to do so yet, but I can navigate around and collect loot while picking off a few stragglers.

So Galaad, is it worth getting for the improvements? I almost never replay a game, but I finished the original on both normal and hard, though I have never tackled impossible. Hard was a way longer game than normal. Just curious if the new pirate subplot is it worth it? I heard you play it after the end of the main campaign or something? that doesn't make any sense. If you could minimize the spoilers but still give a sense, that would be great. Thanks.

I wish I could tell you more at this point, I'm still very far from beating the campain… was playing on hard and ironman mode and I kinda screwed up. So Im restarting and since I havent experienced it yet, I can't comment on the 'new' campaign.

I haven't noticed all that many different things other than support for higher res and such…also from main screen of the game you get 3 counters that tell you if you've experienced all the text quests, arcade hyperspace battles or planetary battles. I think you can replay them straight from the title menu there as well if you wish once you've completed them.

One thing I did notice was that there seem to be quite a few new items and special modules.

So Galaad, is it worth getting for the improvements? I almost never replay a game, but I finished the original on both normal and hard, though I have never tackled impossible. Hard was a way longer game than normal. Just curious if the new pirate subplot is it worth it? I heard you play it after the end of the main campaign or something? that doesn't make any sense. If you could minimize the spoilers but still give a sense, that would be great. Thanks.

My impression so far is that you can play the pirate subplot at any point - either after or during the dominators plots. But I've not pursued it yet. Even without specifically pursuing the pirate plot as such, there are changes to pirates that affect the game - they're more fully fleshed out as a faction now, and can take control of systems etc.

I loved this game. I can't decide whether to get this version or not, I played the reboot version and some of the planetary battles were completely impossible. One literally overran your position in less than a minute. I tried everything, running to a new base right away, building up in every way I knew how, but it seemed like they just made an error with the starting resources of the opponent on that map. Others were just brutal, and were beatable if you could hold out making incremental progress for hours. Since you kept getting the same battle mission over and over, it ruined that part of the game if one of those came up. I wonder if they fixed that?

Back
Top Bottom