Baldur's Gate I is charming

And you throw to flame of hell a game you didn't really played? Not fully honest from my point of view, but ok that's your choice to do so. I wonder how fast was running The Witcher on your computer. For my computer even Drakensang didn't run as well than DAO.

Tell me, just what the heck are you smoking? I never flamed DA:O once. I said:

Actually, IIRC DA:O had little to no banter just wandering about. It was all triggered, either by events or by player starting it.
This was later corrected, and I'd admitted that I didn't note it:

Maybe I just didn't note it. It's been a while since I played DA:O though. I dropped it after it became effectively a slide-show.

Which I later explained what I meant by 'slide show' to JDR.

Even DA:O, while I enjoyed it, did not really have the same level of characterization as BG1 and 2.

This is a horrible flame obviously, against the almighty holy grail of games that is DA:O. I must obviously hate it, even though I've repeatedly stated I like the game, both here and on other forums, but that my computer cannot handle it well enough to enjoy playing it. Flaming people for crap that you hallucinated that they said is highly dishonest, IMO.

Perhaps there needs to be a "ignore user" function so I don't have to bother your "refined sense" and deal with your hallucinations.

As for Witcher, no it doesn't run worth a flip on my computer. I didn't bother with Drakensang after checking the specs and figuring that it'd be the same story. King's Bounty is the newest game I have running, and it lags if there's a bunch of animations running on screen at once. Since I don't get mommy and daddy to buy me stuff, I can't afford a $1500+ laptop for gaming every year. Especially since I've been laid off. So can it, and read the bloody posts next time.

This is a horrible flame obviously, against the almighty holy grail of games that is DA:O.

I was feeling the burn ... I must summon forth the holy hand grenade to use against you!!!!!!1111one :D

Even DA:O, while I enjoyed it, did not really have the same level of characterization as BG1 and 2.

I agree with that. DA just felt much more rough around the edges than the BGs did. For me, it's probably the difference between great 2d graphics and average 3d graphics.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, BG1 was very charming! The urban adventure of BG2 didn't quite capture the feel of wandering through a random forest from BG1.

I'm not sure it was the graphics for me (though Infinity engine games probably are my favorite for graphics, period). The story, overall atmosphere, world, relative lack of character customization (my favorite part of RPGs, actually), among other things, made it seem much less than BG1 or 2. I'd probably put it on par with IWD1 though.

This is a horrible flame obviously, against the almighty holy grail of games that is DA:O. I must obviously hate it,….
A after that you'll pretend not flame it. :rolleyes: Well anyway as I already wrote I don't care flame what you want. :)

...I'd probably put it on par with IWD1 though.
LOL, better read that than being blind!

A after that you'll pretend not flame it. :rolleyes: Well anyway as I already wrote I don't care flame what you want. :)

LOL, better read that than being blind!

When you learn to read English, then come back. I quoted what I posted, and anyone whose graduated third grade would know those weren't flames against DA:O. All you have is drug-induced hallucinations.

*Just bought the IWD collection because my copy of IWD1 went AWOL. I must obviously think it is the most inferior game ever made, even beyond such things as Sonic 2006, Call of Duty 3, or ET for the Atari 2600. I reinstalled it, and started perhaps my 20th game on it. Fool.*

I incline my master you are too smart for me....

Now I explain you, that is irony like you did about DAO. Your justification post was a flame, a little one but a clear one.

Compare DAO and IWD1 is rather weird and you don't realize it... But ok I'm fine with it, nothing important.

Actually, while they're slightly different in implementation, both are at their core role playing games. I'd compare DA:O to the Summoning as well, though it's far and away different. Now, if I'd compared it to Tetris, that would be weird.

Same viewpoint (I kept DA:O in tactical because it had higher FPS), party based gameplay, real time combat, etc... Very similar gameplay overall, besides the fact that they are both WRPGs.

Comparing the two, DA:O has better characterization by far, with a better atmosphere, NPCs, and pretty much on par for combat. IWD1 has better character customization by far, and a more immense, developed world (obviously, FR's been around for a long time.

Each provide me with about the same level of enjoyment, though DA:O's was cut short due to my system not being up to par. Not the fault of the game (though IMO devs should build for a lower denominator in system specs, rather than going full bore). Thus, I'd put them on par, even though I'd play each at different times and moods.

Now, DA:O is better than the Summoning, in every way. I still recommend that old game as a fun run, regardless. It's a simple game, if a little bare. I guess Ultima 6 spoiled me back then (came out about the same time, IIRC).

Actually, IIRC DA:O had little to no banter just wandering about. It was all triggered, either by events or by player starting it. BG1 is still the best game I've ever played in terms of having a group of characters that actually felt like they were more than just cardboard cutouts. Even DA:O, while I enjoyed it, did not really have the same level of characterization as BG1 and 2.

Actually, you aren't the only one… for some reason, some of my NPCs were quite chatty but mainly with other NPCs, not with PC. Meanwhile, some of NPCs just ran out of banter, especially Morrigan and Sten in my case. They really never talked except for when they first joined.

EDIT: BTW Im having DAO hating session because it blew up my videocard lol. Getting a new one soon. I think DAO graphic was a bit too much for my current video card.

The original BG is one of the few games I find myself going back to every once in a while. Not the best game out there, but I enjoy myself every time I re-play it.

There's something about the way the story is being told in BG1 that is simply better than 2. I consider BG2 overall better, with more options and what not (especially before installing TuTu on 1), but the storytelling really is superior in BG1, as is the exploration.

Also, Baldur's Gate is one of the best cities I've seen in a game. Sure, it's messy, but it's fun to explore every tavern, temple, house, shop etc. It feels like a city, and not just a quest hub.

The good news is: You could blow up a whole village of them (Xvarts) with a single fireball.

Speaking of which, that reminds me of something that was a real pain in the ass in BG1 - respawning Kobolds. By the dozen. Remember the ruins near the bridge? Every time you turn a corner, then go back, a new kobold has spawned (or several!)..

Was it this Firewine (sp?) dungeon? Or the Ullcaster dungeon? Anyway there were a few dungeons where the corridors were that fucking tight you couldn't possibly navigate your party. Those sucked. Durlags Tower on the other hand was awesome.

Speaking of which, that reminds me of something that was a real pain in the ass in BG1 - respawning Kobolds. By the dozen. Remember the ruins near the bridge? Every time you turn a corner, then go back, a new kobold has spawned (or several!)..

Ah, the Firewine Bridge ruins. I used to equip Imoen with the Bracers of Archery and fire arrows, and she would one-hit kill all the Kobolds while restocking her arrows at the same time.

Aye, using an archer is probably the best option in there. And yes, it was Firewine Bridge. Doesn't it exit into a house in Ullcaster? Or maybe it was some other village. I thought it was the same dungeon, but in all honesty, I don't clear that when I replay, simply because I can't stand the place.

In any case, it was fairly frustrating to navigate.

Back
Top Bottom