Star Wolves 3 - Review @ GameZone

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Man, I loved the original Star Wolves. The third entry in this Russian series is so low in profile (at least at this end of the world), I didn't even know it existed. GameZone has kicked up a review, although most of the complaints would apply to the first game so it's hard to compare. The score is 4/10 and here's a snip:
The gameplay is similar to many other real-time strategy titles as players control a mothership, guiding it through space. A map can be brought up to aid the player in navigating the map. The problem with this formula of an open world system not working here is that space is huge, and space is barren. Open world games should have an interesting world that invites the player to explore, but in Star Wolves, it’s mostly empty with space stations scattered throughout each area, and barely any other ships flying around. Another major problem is when flying from objective to objective – it’s as slow as a snail. Luckily the game has a fast mode button that speeds up the gameplay to x8. The problem is, during my playthrough, I had that turned on 99 percent of the time. The game would have benefitted from a strict mission format. Read the dialogue, accept a mission, do said mission, level up, and move on to the next mission.
More information.

I really liked the first Star Wolves game, despite the horrendous voice acting and numerous translation mistakes, so I eagerly bought the second game as well. However, the sequel was even worse in the translation department, and extremely buggy as well, to the point where playing it became a chore instead of fun.

The concept of the series is actually pretty good but while the first game could be excused for being a first attempt, the execution of the sequel simply wasn't good enough to warrant another purchase so unless the third installment is better than the second game (which would appear is not the case based on the review) I think I'm going to give this game a miss.

A shame really because with a bit more effort and polish, the Star Wolves series could have been a real sleeper hit. Ah well, that's the indie scene for you.

Loved the first one. Never got the 2nd one. Was it ever released in English?

Loved the first one. Never got the 2nd one. Was it ever released in English?

Well, the jury is still out on that one considering how horrible the translation was. :lol:

But yes, it did eventually come out in english.

Back
Top Bottom