What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Just saw Avengers 2. I liked it better than the first, which I thought was one of the best superhero movies— definitely my favorite Marvel movie. Unfortunately I think we're looking at a lineup switch before Infinity Wars comes out in a couple years, and based on what I saw, didn't like the upcoming team.

Avengers 2 is definitely worth seeing if you enjoyed its predecessor.

Sorry but the best super hero movie was "Watchmen" which I don't see in the near future been topped by any of these silly fun Super Hero movies.

I will take my Boys to see this movie sometime within the next couple of days and I am sure it will be fun. That is all I am hoping for.

Sorry but the best super hero movie was "Watchmen" which I don't see in the near future been topped by any of these silly fun Super Hero movies.

I will take my Boys to see this movie sometime within the next couple of days and I am sure it will be fun. That is all I am hoping for.

And hence I said "one of the best" superhero movies. I enjoyed Watchmen, not sure it's one of my favorites. To each his or her own.

oh how did I forget - we watched the original Star Wars trilogy films in a small private theater w/ friends, it was awesome. I hadnt seen any of them in over a decade! They gave out lightsaber party favors =)

And yes, the films hold up after all these years

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 124
Avengers 2 Just got back from taking the family.

I don't know, maybe I have watching a lot of odd little movies of late and enjoying them more like when I was younger living in a Big City where these movies were easy to have access to.

The movie was what I thought it would be just about an hour too long.

The plot was what you would expect but very weak for a movie that was 2 hours and 20 minutes long. There was no side plots to fill in between all the one liners that sure kept most of the packed house laughing. But how many of these are that funny after hearing them every 5 minutes?

If the movie had been for me a hour and 1/2 long I would say I got what I paid for and give it an 8/10 but being that long with nothing to really keep it that interesting for me 6/10 as I was ready to leave.

Mad Max: Fury Road

George Miller did a fantastic job (re)creating an 80'esque adrenaline rush. Character exposition that doesn't overstay its welcome + no melodramatics = great testosterone-driven fun. I only wish Max had… more to say, heh. He kind of plays second fiddle to Charlize Theron's [well-done] character. But the Road Warrior was like this to some degree as well.

Maggie 7/10

Pretty much what I expected from the trailer. Superb movie in terms of atmosphere and acting. Arnold did a fantastic job with his understated performance.

I was a little let down by some safe choices and the mostly predictable plot - but it had a few neat surprises.

But I was very moved by it, and that means a lot to me.

Ex Machina

Did not expect I will like it this much. 9/10 for this one.
A film rich in great allegoric and metaphoric symbolism.

Just saw Ex Machina last night as well. It was great. I am shocked it got into theaters as no name actors and 'thinking science fiction without explosions' is usually a recipe for something you have to find, not buy a ticket for.

'thinking science fiction without explosions' .

Michael Bay, should take note of this. :)
And, again, Ex Machina is a great movie indeed.
There is a similar movie, but not that successful, and not that good neither, and it is called "The Machine".

Mad Max: Fury Road

George Miller did a fantastic job (re)creating an 80'esque adrenaline rush. Character exposition that doesn't overstay its welcome + no melodramatics = great testosterone-driven fun. I only wish Max had… more to say, heh. He kind of plays second fiddle to Charlize Theron's [well-done] character. But the Road Warrior was like this to some degree as well.

I agree across the board - surprisingly my wife suggested we go this afternoon, and it was very well done and a solid story (much better than the other two movies - yes, I only acknowledge the first two). My biggest issue WAS Max ... his acting job was very good, but the lack of talking bothered me. It took down the camp factor that helps dissipate the intensity of hopelessness and violence.

I found the use of color (or lack thereof) very effective, as well as the transitions.

Much better than my expectations.

Michael Bay, should take note of this. :)
And, again, Ex Machina is a great movie indeed.
There is a similar movie, but not that successful, and not that good neither, and it is called "The Machine".

That's funny cause I watched The Machine a few months back with the same friends I saw Ex Machina with. I enjoyed it at the time but my main complaint was the lack of the interesting AI stuff pushed aside in favor of obligatory action sequences. Ex Machina did a better job addressing this, no pointless 'military is a big meanie' subplot.

The actress in The Machine did a good job though. I would watch The Machine first else Ex Machina would spoil you.

Just came across this short sci-fi film on YT. Title E.M.M.A
In a way it is similar to Ex Machina.
Hey, Mosaic, you just might like it if you watch it. :)

It was a great movie, I really enjoyed this one.

Keen to see this one. I really enjoy unsettling, intelligent sci-fi. Good UK movies have been a bit thin on the ground, but there seems to be a bit of sci-fi boom over here at the moment.

I also saw Mad Max : Fury Road and had a blast of a time. Great action movie. I loved the world building elements they used. It seemed a bit similar to Brutal Legend in theme, in that they really used the viking/chrome/cars mashed-up mythology. The flame-guitar-guy was a lot of fun. And I loved the design of Immortan Joe. He looked creepy as hell. And the whole post-apocalyptic/world gone insane was very nicely done.

Back
Top Bottom