Van Helsing - Review Roundup #3

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Here we are with what we will be my final posting of reviews for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing.

GameSpot - 7.5/10
Lack of community aside, Van Helsing's only real problem is that it doesn't go the extra mile. Nothing is particularly spectacular, but Neocore's latest game is a tight adventure with a few blemishes here and there, and it will keep fans of the genre enthralled for quite a while, especially if they can rustle up some friends to come along for the ride.
IncGamers - 7/10
In single player, Van Helsing is a part-traditional, part-peculiar action-RPG with an endearingly silly plot and just enough vocal flair to carry it off. The restriction of a lone melee/ranged class (and the current lack of a ‘new game plus’) means that there probably isn’t a great deal of replay value for those who like to obsess about endless character builds, but for around $15 USD you’ll get 12-15 click-filled hours of substantive looting.
Games.on.net - No Score
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing has its issues, but they feel comparable to those of most developers after their first attempt at making an Action-RPG. It is great to look at, fun to play, but lacking in a few minor areas such as core replayability and a balanced skill system. The game has a lot of potential, and it is very possible that this is the start of something beautiful… something you might want to be a part of.
The Digital Fix - 7/10
Being a budget indie game, at under half the price of a standard release, we can certainly give The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing far more slack than is possible to give to those cold giants at Blizzard, however that being said it is a shame that Neocore have not used their indie freedom to create a game with a touch more originality. With all things considered we can say at the very least that the game is beautifully presented, with a vibrant and stylised world to explore, all of which runs on surprisingly low-spec machines. The characters are intriguing, particularly the role of the ghost Katerina, and the action is challenging if rather repetitive. So, if you are disconnected from Diablo III, destroyed Dungeon Siege III, trounced your way through Torchlight (including its sequel) and are still craving more bloodshed then The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing will provide at least a dozen hours of extra entertainment for a relatively small investment. Sadly however in no way does it redefine the genre.
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
The Adventures of Van Helsing is an excellent game that deserves to be played by those looking for an extremely well written experience and for fans of old school RPGs everywhere. With a game length that puts many AAA developers to shame, NeoCore Games punched well above their weight and succeeded where so many indie games have failed in the past.
Quarter to Three's Tom Chick - 2/5
Van Helsing also has a set of perks he can pick among because, well, it was pretty cool in Fallout so there’s no reason it shouldn’t be here. I mostly admire that Neocore is willing to mix some Fallout and Orcs Must Die into my Diablo. If they’d gotten more Diablo in there, I might still be playing.
More information.

Just to say that Van Helsing got DLC. For free. Weeeeeee

Am I mad for liking this better than Diablo 3?

Back
Top Bottom