Runemaster - Preview @ Escapist Magazine

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Escapist Magazine has a new preview for Paradox's new RPG Runemaster.

Everything I was told about Runemaster sounds like it will be a blast to play, and my short glimpse of the UI and the top down view of the game world certainly looked stellar, but the development is a long way from complete. The projected release window is "winter", and Runemaster could come out anywhere between December 2014 to February 2015. It's in alpha right now, and the team has a lot of design work left to do before the polishing and bug-squashing begins. Paradox has gotten better with releasing games relatively bug free but the new genre could present additional problems. If the team delivers what they outlined last week, Paradox could very well have a hit on its hands.
More information.

Not a grinder and
could come out anywhere between December 2014 to February 2015.

One word:
Instabuy.

Unless of course someone mentions "season pass". If I see that crap near this game, I won't buy it even if it scores GOTY title.

Not a grinder and

One word:
Instabuy.

Unless of course someone mentions "season pass". If I see that crap near this game, I won't buy it even if it scores GOTY title.

You should expect that, it's Paradox, they're drowning players in DLCs ...

"The average amount of time people play our games is 190 hours," he said, getting those stats from Steam. Runemaster will be no different, even if it has a finite end that will occur around 100 hours in.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...With-Norse-RPG-Runemaster#wiXfJHsVwUAqErri.99
Is it a good feature if game takes 100 hours to finish? For me it just says that I would never complete it. I doubt Ill ever have that much free time to spend on a single game.

You should expect that, it's Paradox, they're drowning players in DLCs …
Well it's working for them just by looking at the success of their last couple of games. Seems every few months we get a mini-expansion. So I'm not complaining.

The key to getting them all for cheap is buying the game on a Steam sale, or as part of a bundle. You just have to have patience and wait to buy them.^^

Is it a good feature if game takes 100 hours to finish? For me it just says that I would never complete it. I doubt Ill ever have that much free time to spend on a single game.

that's a lot of gameplay if it's a battle every 20 minutes and it takes that long.

The key to getting them all for cheap is buying the game on a Steam sale, or as part of a bundle. You just have to have patience and wait to buy them.^^

^This, but they seem to frequently leave out the best DLC in those bundles. Paradox. We hates them forever. ;)

But my concern with game is procedurally generated world. Sounds pretty shallow. From a world and story design point of view. We'll see. I'll bet the focus will be on combat (ala Elven Legacy) but have less story and weaker world design than Blackguards or Elven Legacy. Stormcrow mode off.

It's probably not a good feature if it requires 100 hours for one play through. But it's definitely not a good feature if a game only has 20 hours worth of content, and the only way a player can get more hours out of it than that is to replay the same content they've already been through. I think Bethesda has pretty much the right balance. Plenty of content for people who like to take their time and mess around in between advancing the storyline, but charging straight to the end game is doable for people who prefer that approach.

But my concern with game is procedurally generated world. Sounds pretty shallow. From a world and story design point of view. We'll see. I'll bet the focus will be on combat (ala Elven Legacy) but have less story and weaker world design than Blackguards or Elven Legacy. Stormcrow mode off.

Yeah, that used to be what pissed me off about the early Elder Scrolls games. The so-called main story was little more than a pretext to play the game, and the rest of the content was randomly boring. I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea, though, and it could work well if it was done a different way.

Back
Top Bottom