G5's cursor movement unresponsive

Remus

Antihero
My logitech G5's cursor suddenly became intermittently unresponsive when moving the mouse. It seems to have problem with the laser or tracking functionality, as mouse buttons reacted correctly to my clicking. I tested on my laptop with the same result.

Time to get a new mouse?

Is it repairable or other options available that i'm not aware of? Anyone else with the same problem before?

Take a bottle of canned air and give it a good, long blast, and see if it helps. If there's a sticky fleck of dust obstructing the laser, you get exactly that behavior.

Surprisingly, after i banged it few times against a table's surface, it now working flawlessly. Lucky!

*stroking the mouse*

Thanks PJ for the tips, probably some dirty things obstructing the laser.

Yes, little hairs or fluffs coming into the little optical hole will cause that behaviour, so regularly clean/dust your mousing surface and mouse's surface. Btw, I used to have the A4tech X7 going up to 2500 dpi, and thought I was upgrading it when I
got the G5, which was a lot more expensive than the A4tech.

Boy, was I wrong! I soon started pining for my A4tech again, which had 5 dpi settings, instead if the G5's 3. Also, the G5 only goes to 2000dpi and is a clumsy bugger with a thick, clumsy chord.

As my old X7 was a bit worn out, I checked my friendly local hardware store, and just this morning, I installed my brand-new X7 XL-750BK.

This baby sports 16k programmable on-board memory, full-speed USB, and 6 dpi settings (one button for 6 settings - on the fly) as opposed to the G5 miserly 3 settings only up to 2000dpi; and I got the X7 at a fraction of the G5's price. :lol: And my new X7 goes up to 3600dpi! :cool:

Um, still trying to get used to that, actually... :biggrin:

The only thing that isn't quite as nice on the X7, is that the G5 has a bigger teflon foot, but I'll just go buy one seperately; - and then we're back in business with a vengeance.... DOW, here I come! :leer:

Of course, the Razor Lachesis is theoretically a better mouse, but for the price it retails at, I think I could forego not having to try to get used to 4000dpi.... :p

Of course, the Razor Lachesis is theoretically a better mouse, but for the price it retails at, I think I could forego not having to try to get used to 4000dpi.... :p

I've got one. It's a good mouse, for sure, but it's not dramatically better than the G5, for example. It's a bit finicky about mousepads, though -- it didn't work well with my IceMat, so I switched (back) to a QPad XT-R, which works fine. And it's quite sensitive to dirt -- I have to blow out the lens more frequently than on the G5. The pulsing snake pictogram is pretty cheesy.

I like the sensitivity control; I can easily dial it up and down in relatively small increments.

ugh, the problem proved to be persistent as it only gone away for a day and came back again.

Guess i have to contact Logitech on warranty. Meanwhile as a spare and replacement i bought the mx518, revision 3 if i'm not wrong with slicker mouse feets. So far i feel it very, very similar to G5 in term of physical shape and performance.

Edit: except the scrolling wheel is far more quiet than the G5's.

Back
Top Bottom