Hero-U - Post-Funding Update #63

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
As you probably know the Coles announced a second Kickstarter for Hero-U. In this Kickstarter update they talk more about why they do it and what's in it for us.

Starting May 12, we are taking a very unusual step - Two and one-half years after successfully completing the Hero-U Kickstarter, we are coming back to ask for more funding and more support.

We will need your help to succeed, and I want to show you here why supporting our second Kickstarter is both the right thing to do, and why you will benefit from supporting us.

It won’t take much - If every backer from our first Kickstarter pledges just $10, we will be more than halfway to our $100,000 goal. If you all pledge $20, we can reach our goal on the first day.

This game will be amazing! Thanks to you, we’ve made amazing progress over the last two years.Every dollar contributed the new Kickstarter campaign will make a big difference to the quality of Hero-U.

For those of you who backed us at the $20 level in 2012, we’ve created a special $20 pledge level just for you. For that second $20, you will receive all the benefits of our new $50 tier. That will include a hint book with tips and strategies for reaching different goals in Hero-U. We will give you the complete soundtrack with all of Ryan Grogan’s stunning musical compositions along with any music we add to the game in the coming months.

You will also get the “Making of Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Art Book”, highlighting many of the stunning portraits, paintings, and background art from the game. It also includes an insider look at the process our artists went through to complete the game art, including the original design notes, early sketches, and “color comps”. It’s a pretty awesome reward level!
More information.

I don't mind them doing a second kickstart but it is pretty darn anal to ask the original backers to contribute. Mind you the original backers are free to contribute and they might offer special tiers for them but this kickstart update really pisses me off.

Hmmmm.

"When we originally ran the Kickstarter, we planned to make a much smaller and simpler game. As the campaign proceeded, it became clear that our backers wanted much more, and we promised to deliver it. Unfortunately, this is taking far more time and expense than that small game."

So wait a minute. If the backers wanted more than what was promised, why did the backers only fund $409,000 of the 400k funding goal with none of the stretch goals achieved?

"Even with several of our team members (including Lori and me) delaying compensation until after the game makes a profit, we have stretched our personal finances to the breaking point. We think it makes more sense to return to Kickstarter now that we have much more art and real development progress to show, rather than making a publisher deal or looking for venture funding. We also think a new Kickstarter campaign will give us a chance to reach many players who did not see the first one."

Sorry, but this sounds to me like the developer does not have a grasp on the actual costs of their proposed game. Sounds like they have exhausted their original KS funds and personal finances, and are now coming back to the kickstarter trough to try to get more funds to finish the game. Which is not a good sign and does not bode well.

Here's the backer-only update they just posted:

A number of backers were angry at my previous update, feeling that we were asking them for more money without having delivered anything for their previous pledges. That was never the intent. The object of that post was to:

Announce the upcoming supplementary Kickstarter (starting May 12)
Share the new version of the break-in room demo
Show how the game is finally progressing from concept art to a real game
Show that a small donation from many people can make a big difference
Thank you for your past support and bearing with this delayed game

That was all. It certainly was not intended to demand more money from backers who were generous to us when we had nothing more than a game concept. You are the 6,000 who believed in us more than any of the other hundreds of thousands of Quest for Glory and Castle of Dr. Brain players. You mean the world to us.

As you know, nearly all of my updates have been open to everyone. Yesterday's update was the first of a series of backer-only updates to keep you posted on why we are doing the new Kickstarter and other project details that we feel are of more interest to you than to the rest of the world. There won't be any secrets here, but there will be some very honest talk that some will take negatively.

One of the questions raised several times yesterday is, "What did you do with the first $400,000? Why do you need more?" It's a great question, and I'll answer it here.

But first let me put it in perspective - $400K after our costs of making and shipping rewards, Kickstarter fees, and so on, is actually less than $300K net towards the project. That was enough money to pay for one programmer and four artists for a year, even with no other expenses (music, Unity licenses, etc.) and paying Lori and me nothing.

We started with four artists, a musician, and a programmer. If nobody had left the team and we completed it in 8 months, we'd have broken even. That lasted one month before a key team member quit and we could not find a replacement.

Let’s look at all the money we've received from crowdfunding and our site:

Pledged on Kickstarter (Gross): $409,000 (but some did not pay)
PayPal and Humble Bundle (Gross): $26,000
Total Crowd-Funding to Date (Gross): $435,000
Deductions and Funding Costs: $60,000
Total Crowd-Funding to Date (Net): $375,000

Here’s where we spent the original Kickstarter funding:

Art and Animation $205,000 (includes work on virtual rewards)
Programming $85,000
Music $25,000
Taxes/Fees/Overhead $75,000 (includes cost of funding)
Software/Supplies $10,000 (Unity and other licenses)
Rewards and Shipping $35,000
TOTAL: $435,000

Of the $85,000 spent on programming, $45,000 went to work that proved unusable by team members who later left the project. We’ve deferred about $25,000 of additional programming expense until after the game is released.

$84,000 of the art expense went to Contract Art House for 3D character models and animation.

Note that there is no category for game design, writing, or management. Lori and Corey each took a $20/hour salary for the first year, resulting in $15,000 in taxes. Once we started running low on funds, we returned every dollar of our salaries to Transolar Games in the form of a personal loan.

We estimate the total project cost at $550,000 to get the game out the door. We are deferring an additional $75,000 in costs until after the game becomes profitable - Deferred contractor payments and cost of producing and shipping physical rewards such as game boxes.

Lori and I are personally covering all expenses beyond the crowd-funding amounts. In fact, we’re literally betting our house on the project - Since we have no income from the project, we are using a $150,000 home equity line of credit to cover Hero-U development and pay our living expenses. We are completely committed to finishing Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption and making it a game that players will love.

We will not make any money from Hero-U until everyone else is paid, backers have their games, and we manage to sell some copies.

If this campaign is successful, here is how we will spend the funds (based on exactly meeting the $100,000 goal):

$10,000 Kickstarter and bank fees
$20,000 Cost of project rewards
$40,000 Programming
$20,000 Art and Animation
$10,000 All other expenses

If the project reaches $200,000:

$20,000 Kickstarter and bank fees
$40,000 Cost of project rewards
$70,000 Programming
$40,000 Art and Animation
$20,000 Game testing, production, and shipping
$10,000 All other expenses

Any additional funding will be used for:

Improved game play, art, and sound effects
Debt reduction to lower interest expense
Additional section of the Sea Caves (Temple of Gog-sosloth)
Localization and Voice Acting
Android and iOS Tablet versions of the game

Our artists have been doing amazing work on the project over the last 2.5 years even as we had to change the specs because of programming issues. Our new strike team of four part-time programmers are all doing great work. Many of the team members are making sacrifices to keep the development costs reasonable, and we hope we can make it up to them later. They are Hero-U's biggest fans (all were backers before they joined us), and we are blessed to have them on our team.

Lori, I and the team are really excited about recent progress and what we expect to happen this year. We'll keep you posted on all of it!

I understand why they are starting to make these backer-only because of all the negative information.

The problem is that these budgets are really, really small for any kind of game development. But when pitching the video campaign on Kickstarter, project leaders have to make it look like a development cycle of 8 months and enough money to pay the salaries of 4 people for the same amount of time is something totally realistic. Something is just extremely wrong with all this. If even the slighest thing goes wrong it derails the whole project. Many Kickstarters are just complete trainwrecks waiting to happen.

Thanks for posting the backer-only information HHR. Reading the text actually made me more sympathetic to this second campaign. I'm not sure if I will back this yet, but I do think their current vision of the game is more in the vein of the old QFG-games than the original. It is thus more interesting to me than before.

Yes the second update is reasonsble. The unposted first one was annoying. I am confused of course. This game was going to cost way more than 300k but it sounds like they had no funds other than kick starter funds. Maybe when they ran first campaign they hope for double fine type numbers....

Yes the second update is reasonsble. The unposted first one was annoying. I am confused of course. This game was going to cost way more than 300k but it sounds like they had no funds other than kick starter funds. Maybe when they ran first campaign they hope for double fine type numbers….

This is a guess, but I suspect it was more of a case of them having a skilled developer who liked their games and was willing to code for peanuts, but then they quit for whatever reason which left their budget in tatters as they were unable to find someone else willing to work for that level of pay.

More than a couple of other kickstarter games have drawn funds from other sources to finish off (Wasteland 2 used sales from the company's back catalogue along with early access funds, Pillars also used early access funds, Legends of Eisenwald had a private investor kick in some extra money towards the end, based on the doco it looks like Double Fine had their accounts manager teetering on the edge of a nervous breakdown in his attempts to creatively juggle the books and use their backlog sales as well, along with the splitting of the game, etc). In the end, they're betting their home on the game so I can't get too angry at them for trying to get more funds to finish considering the risk they've already shouldered for themselves.

Like I said in another thread....

So they spent almost all their money on 3d-graphics?

Why not just release the 2-d original they had the budget for and was shown in the first concept???!?

Although honesty is always appreciated, this does not fill me with confidence.

Essentially they are saying:

1) That their team could not deliver a completed game at the budget that they themselves set.

2) Their small team was extremely unstable, so much so that their entire development timeline and budget was derailed after 1 month.

3) They wasted 45k on work that can not even be used.

4) The project is in such a state of disarray that the project leads had to take a loan out against their home to continue.

I would personally be wary of investing in this, especially if I had already backed. They don't seem to have a grasp on the business side of game development. Great design (and we don't yet have any evidence that there is great design) is useless if they can't manage a team, meet deadlines, and somewhat accurately project what it will cost to deliver the game.

They said it was going to cost 400k. Then they said they needed more money "to give the backers what they wanted". Then they said "ok, really, we need more money because one or more team members bailed on the project and we couldn't find replacements".

Hopefully I am wrong, and in the end their perseverance will prevail and allow them to deliver a great game. But... none of this looks good to me. They seem like good people with a good vision, but possibly unable to organize/lead/keep a small indie team working at a low pay scale, and unable to accurately predict costs/make allowances for unexpected issues like team members leaving.

I pledged the first time around and don't mind at all to be asked to kick in another contribution. They are working hard on the game and making what looks like good progress. I also have real fondness for the Hero's Quest games so I'm extending them a bit of credit based on their past creations.

I guess I see the need for the taskmaster/accountant/publisher approach that so many have taken in response to these announcements and I appreciate that such views help contribute to projects getting done and delivered, but on this one I taking more of a "I believe in your artistic vision and am happy to further contribute to its success" approach. Hope there are enough like-minded people to see the new campaign succeed.

Back
Top Bottom