Dead State - Reanimated

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
DoubleBear Productions released a major patch for their Zombie Survival RPG Dead State:

​​​​We’ve spent a couple of months of solid development time making Dead State stronger, smarter, and faster, and we’re happy to say that the results are fantastic. We’ve brought new life - or is it unlife? - to every aspect of the game. This isn’t just Dead State anymore - this is Dead State: Reanimated! DS:R isn’t just an update - it’s our definitive enhanced edition with brand-new content, full of improvements and fixes requested by you, our community!
The Highlights

• Major overhaul of combat balance! Core combat systems have been thoroughly reworked to take advantage of all the data and feedback we’ve gathered over the months since Dead State’s original release. Ranged weapons, melee weapons, armor, special attacks, ally / PC healing, and more have been reworked and carefully tested to create an engaging and challenging combat experience. Even the core combat system has been tweaked so that AC is calculated before damage reduction; this change makes combat more consistent and more fair​.
  • Smarter AI! Medic, Guard, Grenadier, Sniper, and more - New AI behaviors and schemas exist for human enemies, making them more interesting and more challenging to fight! Enemies will notice your presence more quickly and fully utilize all of their tactical options, thrown weapons, and special attacks.
  • New PC Infection option on New Game menu! Create a new game with PC Infection checked and your character will be as susceptible to infection as your allies are. Carefully manage your antibiotics and change your combat strategies to ensure your own survival!
  • Hardcore Mode!​​ In Hardcore mode combat becomes more dangerous, allies consume more resources and heal more slowly, and Morale is harder to keep up. Turn on Hardcore, Iron Man, and PC Infection for the ultimate challenge!
  • Alarms! That’s right - we’ve added alarms to buildings in several areas. Red, blinking lights warn you that there’s an active alarm on a building. Use your Science skill to deactivate an alarm and prevent a looting distraction from becoming a noisy attraction!
  • New areas and random encounters! Several new levels and random encounters have been added. Make sure to keep an eye out for the Chemical Plant, an area with a unique twist…
  • New combat sounds and animations! We’ve added new special attack, reloading, and healing animations and sounds. Special attacks feel smoother and more impactful now!
  • Stability improvements! We’ve rooted out every crash and progress blocking bug to make sure you have the smoothest possible experience. Several popularly requested usability improvements have been added, such as friendly fire confirmation, looting piled up bodies, and an option to toggle Live Shelter movement on and off.
  • Pathfinding improvements! Both allies and the undead have received major pathfinding adjustments that will reduce lag some people have experienced as well as make movement more consistent and natural.

More information.

Cool - they have listened to their fan community.

Need to check the enhanced edition asap. Thanks for spreading the good news.

Nice, I have been holding off on this game for a little extra cooking. I donated on their K/S so it just might be time to play this game.

Great. I played it briefly a few months back and liked the look of it, but thought it was worth waiting for further patching. Looks like the time has come to wade back in there....!

I liked Dead State on release, but it wasn't without its problems. Holding off to play it probably wasn't a bad idea for you guys. After getting this email, I just downloaded it again on my new comp. Hope to try the new improvements before too long.

And nice to see you posting, HiddenX.

I also backed and held off playing it for the same reasons as already mentioned. Now I wonder if this is the definite version, or whether they're going to add more actual content. I remember some beta players saying content/features that was in the beta had been cut on the release - does anyone know if these features in the game now or planned to get in?

I also backed and held off playing it for the same reasons as already mentioned. Now I wonder if this is the definite version, or whether they're going to add more actual content. I remember some beta players saying content/features that was in the beta had been cut on the release - does anyone know if these features in the game now or planned to get in?

Nothing was cut during beta. There was some references to an old implementation of "The Cure" quest that shouldn't have been there in the first place, but nothing was cut.

Basically, very early in development Annie wanted to implement an actual "cure", but we later changed that, and some dialogue references were left. Some people that wanted a cure to be in the game thought we cut it or something, but it never went beyond some dialogues before we decided it didn't fit the tone (and logic) of the setting.

Great news. Guess i retry the game once more.

Nothing was cut during beta. There was some references to an old implementation of "The Cure" quest that shouldn't have been there in the first place, but nothing was cut.

Great, thanks for the answer - I'll jump right in now then :)

That's the patch I waited for to finally start the game. Not sure when I'll come to it now, but it's definitely in one of the top positions of my queue.

Yeah, think I'll give the game a go now as well. Was put of by a lot of the fan feedback, but am well glad that Double Bear have continued to improve things. Bodes well for Age of Decadence too.

I played it and enjoyed it for a solid amount of time, but the combat was definitely a bit on the manipulable side. These changes sound good.

Ah, it's not updated on GOG yet. Patience is a virtue... :(

The balance changes and added difficulty are welcome... but sadly, the game is just too repetitive and tedious. You do the same mundane tasks over and over again and combat only gets spiced up towards the end when you meet enclaves of marines or mercenaries who have truly deadly weapons and tactics and are incredibly skilled.

I think it was a mistake to make dozens of areas, 2/3rds of them could easily have been cut to make the remaining 1/3rd more elaborate.

Looks like it's finally time to add this one to the backlog. :)

Been waiting on this patch before getting too invested. I'm so stoked it's finally out. Might have to sit another week or 2 till I have more time, but I absolutely plan on finishing this once I start.

Been waiting on this patch before getting too invested. I'm so stoked it's finally out. Might have to sit another week or 2 till I have more time, but I absolutely plan on finishing this once I start.

How about writing a review for RPGWatch? - I always enjoy your Steam and Metacritic reviews, Greywolf00.

The balance changes and added difficulty are welcome… but sadly, the game is just too repetitive and tedious. You do the same mundane tasks over and over again and combat only gets spiced up towards the end when you meet enclaves of marines or mercenaries who have truly deadly weapons and tactics and are incredibly skilled.

I think it was a mistake to make dozens of areas, 2/3rds of them could easily have been cut to make the remaining 1/3rd more elaborate.

I agree about cutting the amount of areas down. Make the remaining maps more interesting.

How about writing a review for RPGWatch? - I always enjoy your Steam and Metacritic reviews, Greywolf00.

Thanks Hidden, I always kind of figured no one read those. Nice to know it's not all wasted time!

If there's still a need for a review when I have the time to really dig into the game I just might do that.

Back
Top Bottom