Dark Souls PC - GFWL confirmed (including Steam version)

GFWL…total garbage. All they had to do was add Steam Achievements to make a lot of us happy…but no…bah pathetic. Just another game to wait for a $5 sale and then endure the horror that is GFWL…assuming GFWL still exists in a year…

Take a Day 1 purchase add zero pc optimizations + limited keyboard mouse support + not fixing any existing issues + GFWL = never purchase.

I have a feeling this is not what the people who signed the petition had in mind. I know it's not what I had in mind when I signed.

I think I'll still buy it, despite the PITA of GFWL, probably just wait until it goes on sale a little cheaper, perhaps around $15-20.

Will you be forced to play online? If so I'll pass, but if not I'd play it again.
-Carn

For single player I would think that you can play with an offline GFWL account. For multiplayer, it is needed. Just one thing that I tend to remind myself about, the offline GFWL account is separate from the online one, which means that your saves on the offline account are not available in the online one and vice versa.

This is starting to sound like more trouble than it's worth.

I don't think it is, GFWL has not changed for many years and players are used to dealing with it and its shortcomings.

I personally think that the game would play comfortably on PC but without any PC specific graphic or memory optimization or preferences (he said!).

I personally think that the game would play comfortably on PC but without any PC specific graphic or memory optimization or preferences (he said!).

I agree, but I'm still disappointed that they couldn't add any additional features for the PC release. As it stands now, I'm not sure it's worth the $39.99 price for the PC version.

Regarding GFWL though, I just think it's totally redundant to have two different DRM clients simultaneously for one game.

I agree, but I'm still disappointed that they couldn't add any additional features for the PC release. As it stands now, I'm not sure it's worth the $39.99 price for the PC version.

Indeed, and I am sure many are dissapointed, but at least I get the chance to play Dark Souls on PC as I don't own a console. As for the price, I totally agree it is too much for a game released on consoles many months ago. However the retail version seems attractive with the soundtrack, artbook and so forth:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Souls-...458W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342299659&sr=8-1

Regarding GFWL though, I just think it's totally redundant to have two different DRM clients simultaneously for one game.

Again, totally agree, but what else can they do if the development was through GFWL and they want to put it digitally through Steam (the same with the Batman games) - very furstrating.

One thing that I hope will happen is the retail version can also activate on Steam. I know it is a GFWL game, but this has happened with the Bioshock games (they are all Steamworks now!).

However the retail version seems attractive with the soundtrack, artbook and so forth:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Souls-...458W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342299659&sr=8-1.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we're getting that over here in the U.S.

One thing that I hope will happen is the retail version can also activate on Steam. I know it is a GFWL game, but this has happened with the Bioshock games (they are all Steamworks now!).

You mean that they released Steam versions later, right? That's not uncommon. I have the original retail releases for both games, and I wish I could transfer those to my Steam account.

Hmm.. my CD keys don't seem to match those formats, but maybe I'll give it a try anyways. Thanks for the heads up.

But even if I transfer them to Steam, they still have to use GFWL as well, right? If so, that sort of defeats the purpose for me.

But even if I transfer them to Steam, they still have to use GFWL as well, right? If so, that sort of defeats the purpose for me.

For the first one the Steam page does not specify any requirement for GFWL (probably because its single player only). But it requires it for the 2nd one (for the multiplayer part I guess).

Yes, it is a huge PITA. Perhaps for people who already use Xbox it might be easier, but in my case, when I bought Arkham City, I had to jump through a lot of hoops just to get the game installed, despite already being logged in to my Steam account.

I had to copy and manually type in some CD key, then open a web browser and manually type the key again, then I had to sign up for a hotmail account, register again with the CD key, then click on an activation email in the hotmail inbox and finally I could play the game. But I couldn't save my game - I found out, I had to sign up for some other account in order to save - it was some sort of lame Xbox gamer club account, and finally I gave up and have never played the game again since.

If I had known it was going to be this much hassle, I would have never purchased Arkham City. Why would anybody want to sign up for a useless hotmail account, or join some Xbox "gamer club" when I don't even own an Xbox? (Especially when we are already logged in to the Steam client.)

If I bought Dark Souls, after all this time I don't even remember any of those hotmail accounts or GFWL username, so I'd probably have to do the same thing all over again. Might be worth it at a huge discount, like $5-10, but I don't feel like paying full price for a game that takes so long to install.

I have all sorts of GFWL games and hate it a ton but am used to it by now. Thing is, I bought all these games for very cheap. I don't see myself paying $40 for this... unless a great sale happens elsewhere, I may be waiting for the Steam Holiday Sale.

Back
Top Bottom