The Last Remnant - Wow!

I am woundering, should I try to play without equipping my companions first and see whatever I need to do it or not? As I understand it is possible to by mistake override their equipments by mistake if you don't know what you are doing?

When I played it I didn't equip my companions at all throughout the game. In fact I don't think it's possible unless you change some text file. You'll have so many companions eventually that I could see why you wouldn't want to maintain their needs (20+ companions if I remember correctly?)

When I played it I didn't equip my companions at all throughout the game. In fact I don't think it's possible unless you change some text file. You'll have so many companions eventually that I could see why you wouldn't want to maintain their needs (20+ companions if I remember correctly?)

True, but I find a lot of fun in equipping all my party members to have exactly the gear load-out that I want them to have.

That said, I only have 12 party members total now, so if that number doubles or so, it could get pretty hectic equipping all those people.

Good thing is, even with changing the .ini file to allow full equipment customization, characters will still ask for items that they feel they could use, so you could always do that as well. Best of both worlds.

Fluent I admire your passion and postive outlook. You aren't blind to issues but you focus on the positive. It makes me want to try the games. I don't read articles that are titled akin to "30 reasons not to play this game." I want reasons why I should. Perspective and attitude change experience.

Reading Fluent's take on games is always dangerous for me as I get totally sold on his enthusiasm for the game he's playing, and want to give it a go whether I have the time or not.
Even this one, as being basically a PC gamer I haven't really played any JRPG's that I can think of and not too into anime style graphics to say the least.

But once again Fluent has made a game sound way too interesting to not pick up, this should be interesting.

This game is not the second coming of Planescape for certain but it is definitely unique in its approach to JRPGs in a clever (maybe over clever) way. As has been mentioned before, the game is totally finishable without grinding but you can grind if you like but you may be punished for it if you do it blindly. It does probably help to consult FAQs where possible but I actually had most of my fun with the game before I started analyzing the game and trying to figure out its mechanics. The mystery is part of the fun, if the mechanics were straight forward like most other games are then it would have lost a lot of its appeal to me.

Regarding combat, I do like the strategic battle format here rather than the tactical format more frequently used in RPGS. If you approach it like they expect which is you are a commander and can only give high level recommendations as the troops have their own will then the game is far more fun. If you expect to plan each members attack and special move, you will be frustrated and disappointed. I think this also helps move the game along as combats tend to be resolved faster as you only have like 5 decisions to make per turn. Its the uncertainty and luck aspect that sometimes makes it fun and a challenge. It also tends to force you to make sure your second tier troops are well cared for because they will probably save you more than they would in most other games.

While you can use wikis to help you figure out how train up your generals, this is where it can be tedious. But again, you dont actually have to do it to finish the game as they balanced fairly well for a straight run through and bad grinding can make it hard as I learned in my first run through. If you enjoy getting the best weapon and 5-star generals with super powers the game will let you do that too but its work cause you have to make sure you only have "epic" battles in the later half of the game.

Fluent I admire your passion and postive outlook. You aren't blind to issues but you focus on the positive. It makes me want to try the games. I don't read articles that are titled akin to "30 reasons not to play this game." I want reasons why I should. Perspective and attitude change experience.

Thanks for the kind words, Wisdom. I definitely agree that perspective and attitude have a big effect on your overall experience, and for some reason I am always drawn to the positives in games rather than focusing on the bad. I also like sharing my excitement about things and I'm glad others can get something from that. :)

Reading Fluent's take on games is always dangerous for me as I get totally sold on his enthusiasm for the game he's playing, and want to give it a go whether I have the time or not.
Even this one, as being basically a PC gamer I haven't really played any JRPG's that I can think of and not too into anime style graphics to say the least.

But once again Fluent has made a game sound way too interesting to not pick up, this should be interesting.

Haha, sorry man, I have a habit of becoming very enthused and excited about games I'm currently playing, especially the really good ones :).

Last Remnant is great, and being that there aren't many JRPGs that I know of on the PC, it's definitely a "must-play" title, IMO.

This game is not the second coming of Planescape for certain but it is definitely unique in its approach to JRPGs in a clever (maybe over clever) way. As has been mentioned before, the game is totally finishable without grinding but you can grind if you like but you may be punished for it if you do it blindly. It does probably help to consult FAQs where possible but I actually had most of my fun with the game before I started analyzing the game and trying to figure out its mechanics. The mystery is part of the fun, if the mechanics were straight forward like most other games are then it would have lost a lot of its appeal to me.

Regarding combat, I do like the strategic battle format here rather than the tactical format more frequently used in RPGS. If you approach it like they expect which is you are a commander and can only give high level recommendations as the troops have their own will then the game is far more fun. If you expect to plan each members attack and special move, you will be frustrated and disappointed. I think this also helps move the game along as combats tend to be resolved faster as you only have like 5 decisions to make per turn. Its the uncertainty and luck aspect that sometimes makes it fun and a challenge. It also tends to force you to make sure your second tier troops are well cared for because they will probably save you more than they would in most other games.

While you can use wikis to help you figure out how train up your generals, this is where it can be tedious. But again, you dont actually have to do it to finish the game as they balanced fairly well for a straight run through and bad grinding can make it hard as I learned in my first run through. If you enjoy getting the best weapon and 5-star generals with super powers the game will let you do that too but its work cause you have to make sure you only have "epic" battles in the later half of the game.

Well said.

I enjoy the hunting for rare components and stuff so I'm glad that is an option for me. I'm sure others agree. Just like I am sure that other people don't want anything to do with grinding or hunting, and that's fine, too. The game seems flexible enough to offer a great experience to both camps.

I mostly play using the keyboard/mouse. Be sure to change the prompts to keyboard in the options under controller so the prompts are right!

At 3:23 in this review he says "at some point you're actually going to have to do some grinding"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bgVwW8qSFY
That guy is flat out wrong. The game certainly does get hard but you should get strong enough just doing the quests to overcome what shows up. You might have to pop back and pick up some components you missed but that doesn't involve grinding until pretty late game.

I am woundering, should I try to play without equipping my companions first and see whatever I need to do it or not? As I understand it is possible to by mistake override their equipments by mistake if you don't know what you are doing?
I wouldn't do the equipment tweek right off the bat. (In fact, I've never done that tweek.) Play the game for some hours first and, if it really bugs you that you can't tell each character exactly what to use, then use it. But keep in mind that you'll have a stable of 18+ characters by the end.

I'm saying it's a grinder because he says "rare components".

If components are rare, the only way to get them is…
There are rare, legendary, and even unique items in D:OS but I bet you saw lots of those without grinding! You fight plenty of monsters so you'll get plenty of rare drops.

Here's the cases where I've done some grinding:

1. Somebody missed a component for a weapon (first half of the game). This typically just means popping back to a previous area and killing 3 or 4 spawns, or maybe running by a bunch of spawns to let Mister Diggs do his thing.

2. Guild rewards. The guilds in the game have various achievements, some of which involve killing rare monsters. You'll bump into a lot of them just playing the game but sometimes one won't spawn when you go through the area the first time so you'll have to go through again. It's best to save the game right before going in, run past as many monsters as you can, and see if the target has spawned. If it hasn't, reload and try again. Definitely NOT a fun part of the game. You really don't have to max your guild levels out but you're going to need a few levels and, if you don't get lucky with spawns, you may have to do this a few times to be strong enough to get by the "Six Bases" portion of the game about three quarters of the way through the main story.

3. Somebody missed a weapon component (last half). These tend to happen more because you haven't gotten the "Daily" or "Weekly" rewards from a guild to open up special drops from monsters. Once you get the reward, though, you'll probably just need a quick trip to fight a half dozen or so spawns to get the drops - though I have had one component where I was stuck running through an area multiple times to try and get the right monsters to spawn. Missing some of these weapon ugrades isn't as big of a deal if you're just doing the main story. There's one quest from Nora that's really rough so you'll needs some pretty strong weapons to finish it but, since the "quest" is just a single battle, the only thing you'll miss out on is seeing Nora actually smile for once. The harder DLC will be downright killer without the strong weapons - though the easier ones are attainable.

4. Somebody wants Jeweled Steel. This is used to make weapons REALLY strong and the only way to get lots of it is to go through the Ancient Ruins. To get everyone's weapons maxxed out, you'll need to go through many times. This is definitely GRINDING. You'll also be making the final battle into a total pushover but you'll need these weapons to do the hardest DLC fights.

P.S. To even open the Ancient Ruins you have to defeat The Fallen. That is a seriously difficult fight! I didn't have a chance in hell against that thing in my first play-through. In my second play-through I knew what was coming and planned accordingly - it was STILL horribly hard and I couldn't touch his brother Demigod later in the game. My third play-through went much better.

The Fallen kicking me around

Be sure to change the prompts to keyboard in the options under controller so the prompts are right!

I just gained newfound respect for Square-Enix. :)

A developer FINALLY included prompts for both interfaces? Now if only everyone else would start doing that! I know it's just a minor detail, but it's a pet peeve of mine that the vast majority of cross-platform releases only include prompts for an Xbox controller.

That said, this is probably the kind of game where I would prefer to use my gamepad.

Okay, I'm a bit stuck here. Maybe some of you experts can help me out.

I'm fighting the Gates of Hell monster, and I just cannot kill him. I have tried using 3 unions of all strong characters but his mystic attacks just overwhelm me and he gets to attack so often that it's just ridiculous.

I looked up strategies online of how to beat him, and all of them say stuff like, "I was BR 79 when I beat him", or "I did with a BR of 60". Say what??? My BR is 28 and I think I did every side quest in the game up to this point. Did I miss something here? I cleared every city's tavern of side quests and I cleared most maps at least once, so what's the deal? How do these other people have ridiculously huge BRs and mine is so low? I haven't been avoiding encounters or anything.

Wondering how I should handle this, though. I fought him about 10 times so far and just can't break through. I even hit him last try with 15k damage in one shot! (David's Ex Machina attack), along with pounding him with combat arts but it just doesn't seem to cut it. He ends up killing one unit and quickly enthralling it, and then it's just a matter of time before I lose.

Any advice here? I'd love to continue on in the game but I'm at a standstill right now. Thanks.

Okay, I'm a bit stuck here. Maybe some of you experts can help me out.

I'm fighting the Gates of Hell monster, and I just cannot kill him. I have tried using 3 unions of all strong characters but his mystic attacks just overwhelm me and he gets to attack so often that it's just ridiculous.

I looked up strategies online of how to beat him, and all of them say stuff like, "I was BR 79 when I beat him", or "I did with a BR of 60". Say what??? My BR is 28 and I think I did every side quest in the game up to this point. Did I miss something here? I cleared every city's tavern of side quests and I cleared most maps at least once, so what's the deal? How do these other people have ridiculously huge BRs and mine is so low? I haven't been avoiding encounters or anything.

Wondering how I should handle this, though. I fought him about 10 times so far and just can't break through. I even hit him last try with 15k damage in one shot! (David's Ex Machina attack), along with pounding him with combat arts but it just doesn't seem to cut it. He ends up killing one unit and quickly enthralling it, and then it's just a matter of time before I lose.

Any advice here? I'd love to continue on in the game but I'm at a standstill right now. Thanks.
There is no chance I remember how I beat it if it's a mandatory boss, but googling around I see you need to use revivication herbs (make sure you have enough restoleaf and relaxing leaves). Also try and let the summoned golem take the brunt while you fight from afar and engage/disengage locks, but yeah, I played this game in 2011 so can't tell what I did since I didn't grind in the game and definitely beat all mandatory bosses :)

He was the toughest boss I fought (and won against) on my first play through. Worse yet, I didn't understand how to skip cutscenes (you have to pause THEN skip) so I got stuck watching that thing over and over and over… ugh.

Wolfing is right - a lot of folks have trouble here because they've run out of a critical herb used for healing and/or reviving unions. The game won't tell you when that happens, you'll just stop trying to use those powers.

Your BR does sound a bit low. It's not terribly easy to equate BR and actual power level but it does sound like you might have missed something. Have you seen the cities of Royotia, Baaluk, and Melphina? They can be missed pretty easily.

Assuming it's not that you missed something…

See if you can keep the number of squads deadlocked with him to a minimum. Keep one or two unions back (if you can) to do healing and ranged attacks. Some of his attacks are area attacks that can bleed over and damage other unions so, when you all bunch up next to him… ouch.

Also, every union should have the ability to heal by now and hopefully revive, too. When a squad gets enthralled, you should get the "cure them even if it kills them" option. That makes your squad saunter over to the enthralled union, one-shot kill them, revive them, and (if possible) heal them. The option won't come up if you can't revive.

Having more, smaller unions will increase your tactical options. It also reduces hit points, though, and the amount of AP generated. You'll need to decide which to use when pretty often. (I just wish the game made swapping between the two easier.)

P.S. Every year or two, some poor sod comes into the LR forums stuck fast. They've gotten to this point in the game and have run out of relaxing herb - killing their ability to revive unions. They've also been using nothing but the autosave feature to keep the game saved. That's doom. It's one of the reasons I keep hating on games that force you to rely on just one autosaved game.

He was the toughest boss I fought (and won against) on my first play through. Worse yet, I didn't understand how to skip cutscenes (you have to pause THEN skip) so I got stuck watching that thing over and over and over… ugh.

Wolfing is right - a lot of folks have trouble here because they've run out of a critical herb used for healing and/or reviving unions. The game won't tell you when that happens, you'll just stop trying to use those powers.

Your BR does sound a bit low. It's not terribly easy to equate BR and actual power level but it does sound like you might have missed something. Have you seen the cities of Royotia, Baaluk, and Melphina? They can be missed pretty easily.

Assuming it's not that you missed something…

See if you can keep the number of squads deadlocked with him to a minimum. Keep one or two unions back (if you can) to do healing and ranged attacks. Some of his attacks are area attacks that can bleed over and damage other unions so, when you all bunch up next to him… ouch.

Also, every union should have the ability to heal by now and hopefully revive, too. When a squad gets enthralled, you should get the "cure them even if it kills them" option. That makes your squad saunter over to the enthralled union, one-shot kill them, revive them, and (if possible) heal them. The option won't come up if you can't revive.

Having more, smaller unions will increase your tactical options. It also reduces hit points, though, and the amount of AP generated. You'll need to decide which to use when pretty often. (I just wish the game made swapping between the two easier.)

P.S. Every year or two, some poor sod comes into the LR forums stuck fast. They've gotten to this point in the game and have run out of relaxing herb - killing their ability to revive unions. They've also been using nothing but the autosave feature to keep the game saved. That's doom. It's one of the reasons I keep hating on games that force you to rely on just one autosaved game.

Funny thing, I actually ran out of Relaxing Herb here, too, and didn't know it. I finally figured it out after a few tries at the boss and realized that my parties weren't healing. So, I had to load a previous save, stock up on herbs and do it all again.

Another thing, I definitely did miss those 3 cities you mentioned. Damn it. I have no idea how I missed them, I'm pretty sure I spoke to every NPC in every city, and covered every location on the map at least once. I must have missed a specific exit on one of the maps or something that would unlock one of those cities. Any tips without giving complete spoilers on how to find those places?

Thanks for the tips, by the way. I think I will have to go and find these missed cities first and then try this battle a little later...

Very wise. Missing cities means missing quests. Missing quests means missing follow-up quests in the last half.

For two of those cities, you likely need to explore the desert more. "The Silent Soul", which you get from the Scardy-Cat Magus, will give you something to do while you explore. For that quest to show up, you need to help Paris find his lover in Balterossa.

The barkeep in Elyson should give you access to Berechevaltelle, which is basically the foothills of Mt. Vackel. The mountain itself will be closed off but there's another exit from this area.

Edit: Added tags but I don't think they're as spoilery as you think. You'll be needing to explore ALL the areas, GG!

Last edited:
Tried demo… WTF is going on?!
I have not a single clue about anything here. Randomly choosing moves during battles, flanking is obvious what it is, god only knows what's deadlock. Hell if I know what am I looting, why am I looting and why one party member comments on a certain loot type. Also there is no explanation why I suddenly can't harvest more dig sites.

Do you get any tutorial or a manual with this game?

I've switched voices on japanese, subs are still english. Feels natural to hear "kso" when you're attacked, dunno what you say if voiceover is english, transtation in anime is usually "damn".

I was also going to give the demo a try because I didn't feel like installing the entire 12+ GB game just to test it out. Oddly enough though, Steam won't let me install the demo because I own the full game.

Grab the demo from another site, not from steam!
I got mine here:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_40086.shtml

But honestly, I got completely confused. Not stuck, I won fights and explored some dungeon more. But it felt like I don't have any control over things.

Grab the demo from another site, not from steam!
I got mine here:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_40086.shtml

But honestly, I got completely confused. Not stuck, I won fights and explored some dungeon more. But it felt like I don't have any control over things.

just keep playing. I don't remember much about the game, but I remember being sort of lost too when I started, but then something happened and it all made sense.

Okay, since Risen 3 is out of my hands for 2 more days, I bought this bloody game since it's only 10€ and will play it fully.

I really don't expect a masterpiece material like Fluent suggests, but it might be fun. Besides, it's good to have it checked by a grinding hater, right? ;)

Oh and... Controls.
Someone in Square Enix doesn't know how to use a mouse. So what they did? They made phonegame/touchscreen controls. And then ported that onto keyboard.
This is the most retarded controls system on PC I've seen in years! Almost horrible controls in Legend of Heroes: TitS feel like a masterpiece compared to this abomination.

Back
Top Bottom