NWN2 Level adjustment question

Neverwinter Nights 2

Alternative

Traveler
Hello everyone, I need someone to clear some air for me :) I have created a drow wizard but after I saw how slowly he gains levels I began to wonder whether that was a good choice. I mean, when I reached level 2 Bevil was on level 4 already. A drow is powerful yea, but it seems I'm going to wait a long time before getting some decent spells, not mentioning Hit Points which are also low. What is your advice, should I start over with another race or perhaps it wont be so painful later in the game? I really liked how people reacted on a drow during the fair, some got scared others felt uneasy. Give me your opinions please! :)

Also, what is the deal with familiars now? The list was rather short and there were only some animals to chose from. Are there any dragons like in previous games, or is there some good fighting familiar? I've chosen the rabbit but all he does is examining enemies.

If you're powergaming, the handicapped subraces are a bad choice. OTOH if you like a challenge and want to experience the little twists the developers have given them, you'll like it.

No, there are no fighting familiars. It's clearly a game balance choice.

Do the weaker familiars still affect the CR rating/levels of party = exp equation?

I think the xp cap in the game is roughly at level 23, while level cap is 20, so even the more powerful races can reach 20. Still, you'll be slightly handicapped, especially at the start, but certain races are worth it.

Just remember that everyone levels up with your main character like in KoTOR, but the actual experience points stay the same. In other words: If you choose to play as a Drow (with a level adjustment of 2 I believe it is) then all that means is that when you're level 10, your standard race companions will be level 12.

Without giving away any spoilers (I hope) I currently have a one level adjustment character in my party and a 2 level adjustment character. When I look at the level progression bar on my main human character and the two subrace character they are exactly the same even though we're not the same level.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't let the level adjustment issue scare you away from playing a Drow or an Asimar (sp?) because you won't really notice it once you get going.

Oh and by the way: Familiars are worthless in a fight but can be directly controlled whereas animal companions can indeed fight back but can only be given rudimentary commands like "Follow Me" or "Stay your ground" etc.

Thanks for your replies! I was confused by the game info which states 'drows are more powerful but gain levels more slowly' which doesnt seem to be precise enough, basically they just give 2 levels head start for other races, right? Anyway, I decided to play as a drow, just changed his stats and familiar. I chose the one which adds +3 diplomacy, Drow diplomat ftw! :)

Ha! I can just picture it:

You (politely): "Good day sir. What a fine morning this is. I wonder if I could trouble you ..."

The target (running round in circles, waving his arms in the air and screaming at the top of his voice): "Argh!!!! The Drow are coming! Flee!" ;)

And yes, the "head start" comparison is spot on.

Back
Top Bottom