JoWooD - Game Over

If Piranha Bytes does return to the Gothic series, I'd like to see them start with "Gothic 4", and declare the events of Arcania and Forsaken Gods as non-canon.

I can't even say I am sad to see them go…. I wish I could… but they just don't know a thing about how to treat loyal customer or loyal developers.

What annoys me most is I think it's more that they do know but they don't give a shit.

Dragon Age 3 will be about doing battle with a huge sloth demon named The Sleeper. You'll be playing a human male and won't be allowed to pick a name. Romance options are out but you will be allowed to smoke just about anything in the game.

As a satire, this is very well fitting. ;)

The Arcania add-on is finished. It's quite probable somebody will publish it.

The question is - who'll buy it.

I really don't feel anything about this. JoWood took a wrong path and kept dreaming... Now the RL rproved them wrong. Next!

This reminds me of the decline of CDV ...

Brand names can be sold, yes.
Just look at the "Drakensang" name …

Or Atari, or Amiga, or many others.

I am hoping that someone picks up their nearly finished or unfinished games. The Spellforce 2 expansion was nearly complete along with the Arcania expansion. The problem is that unless they can get the original developers back, everyone needed to complete it to get it ready for release or fix bugs would be coming in fresh. How well the code was documented or how easily it would be to get up to speed would be a big factor.

I hope PB doesn't return to Gothic at all. They ruined it enough for me with the third part.

I wouldn't say it sucked just a matter of it not being as hardcore as the earlier ones. Its still a time waster and I found some enjoyment playing the game. And yes I played the earlier ones before you ask.

I meant that I, by no means, want to see an expansion that instead of EXPANDING the game, brings nothing new to the table, just some half-a**ed quests, reused world and NPCs.
The expansion to Arcania might have brought something new to the game since there's a whole new city and a new setting according to the original game's ending but still… I have my doubts. It was completed in such a short time, and I have so many bad experiences with Arcania that'll I'll probably pass the expansion even if it comes out in some manner.

Hope JoWooD sells the Gothic rights to PB.

Actually, they will be sold to EA. Dragon Age 3 will be about doing battle with a huge sloth demon named The Sleeper. You'll be playing a human male and won't be allowed to pick a name. Romance options are out but you will be allowed to smoke just about anything in the game.

I *think* I *might* have seen that story somewhere on some game... Not sure where tho... *cough*

Isn't Jowood the publisher of many adventuregames, too? I know a lot of people in the adventure gaming community will be vey sad :( about this, and also a bit worried if they can still play their games - especially the games that require online activation (if there's any adventure games that do this?).

R.I.P. to a fine publisher back in the day.

They've made they're fair share of mistakes, but I for one wasn't rooting for them to go down in flames.

Everyone screams bloody murder about Gothic, but Jowood published more than just Gothic. They helped make a lot of games I truly loved over the years such as Silent Storm, Spellforce, Painkiller, SWINE (quirky rts) and Arx Fatalis.

Gothic was just one of their best, but I had wished it wouldn't define them in the end and maybe could go back to publishing something else.

If anyone is interested here is a list of all the games they have published over the years.

Looking at that list I hadn't realized they also published Etherlords. That series was the last majorly released turnbased card game that I enjoyed immensely.

@aries My mom isn't going to be too happy that she won't get anymore Agatha Christie games for awhile. She loves those.

I don't know about the online activation. She uses big fish. From what I know you buy the game from them and activate it through them. So it doesn't matter if Jowood is gone or not.

Last edited:
I'm with Skaven. R.I.P., Jowood. They took chances with the titles they published. There aren't enough people taking chances in this business.

Isn't Jowood the publisher of many adventuregames, too? I know a lot of people in the adventure gaming community will be vey sad :( about this, and also a bit worried if they can still play their games - especially the games that require online activation (if there's any adventure games that do this?).

Yes, like me, for example.

I buy a lot of adventure games and I don't think any are from Jowood… maybe they just publish them in Europe or something? Most adventure games in the US that actually have a publisher are through Viva Media, Mumbo Jumbo, The Adventure Company and Deep Silver.

Also adventure games, when bought on disc, usually do not have any kind of DRM. I don't think I own any on disc that do actually. I remember being annoyed Captain Brawe has DRM on gamersgate because it is so rare for that genre.

TAC = DreamCatcher = JoWooD

TAC is listed at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. In a normal world somebody would buy them to get direct retail access.

i liked silent storm

Back
Top Bottom