Arcania: FoS - Review @ GBase.ch

So the dissapointing Arcania was successful enough to warrant an even more dissapointing Addon? If they wanted to establish a new franchise drawing on the Gothic fanbase - I have doubts this will be helpful…

Edit: by the way, i remember news that JoWood is no more? So who published this?

So the dissapointing Arcania was successful enough to warrant an even more dissapointing Addon?

FoS was finished together with the main game so it never really mattered how successful ArcaniA was going to be. FoS was already done by the time ArcaniA shipped.
The German retail boxes have been collecting dust in a warehouse, waiting for the legal dispute between JoWooD and the investment fund that financed the development of ArcaniA to be settled (the international release was always planned to be digital only by the way so no dust involved there ;) ).
Then JoWooD went out of business and Nordic Games acquired the rights to publish FoS apparently.
I don't know how/if Nordic settled with the investment fund but it looks like they worked things out to the point where they could finally release FoS.

Well, I finished it in 4 hours (surely it is only 8 hours if you get lost in the not-that-difficult-to-navigate trenches of Setarrif :))

It very much feels just like an epilogue to the Arcania story. Very linear, hack and slash, virtually no sidequests (possibly 2 IIRC) so much like the final third of Arcania itself. I played on Hard with an imported level 30 melee character and it was a piece of piss to complete. I had about 500 bandages and 100 potions and I must have used only a handful of those. The 1-handed Holy Avenger with massive burn damage cut through everything like paper (and there are two similar weapons in the expansion you can't miss anyway).

You get to control Gorn and Lester for literally a few minutes apiece. Cute but largely pointless.

God knows why it was sold as a standalone, it makes absolutely no sense to anyone unless you've played the main game. I guess some people might have lost their Arcania disks? Dunno.

Glad I played it for completeness sake, but definitely not value for money if you're watching your pennies, wait for the inevitable Steam sale and pick it up for a few bucks.

coaster;1061102298 Glad I played it for completeness sake said:
Or ever better, play another game.

Meh people can say what they want I still enjoyed the game. Its simple ignore all previous games and play with no expectations. Simple isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom