What games are you playing now?

code veronica was probably my favourite resident evil besides maybe 2 and the last game i played on the dreamcast (the last console i purchased). another game for the dreamcast i loved was blue stinger...sure the voice acting blew but the game design was great and a totally unique resident evil like experience.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrpzwjBEUE

back to playing the first templar--i highly recommend picking it up while its still on sale on steam. all of the levels are well designed and unique though obviously highly linear for the most part. the combat is actually quite enjoyable as well though the ai is rather limited in its tactics.

Got Metro 2033 trashed due to the awful savesystem. My filters were running out and I really needed another one that I knew be found near the end of the level. However, I accidentally took the wrong path which causes the game to move to the next level and overwrite my savegame. So now I started in a level filled with gas without filters, which pretty much means game over.

So I read on a forum that you could just push "new game" and select a level you already played. Turns that doesn't work either, it deletes all your saves from your drive.

Now I built a batchjob that I will run before starting the game that rar's all my files every 60 seconds. Hopefully it will help me from future headaches.

Code:
:START
c:
cd "C:\Users\NAME\Documents\4A Games\Metro 2033"
"C:\Program Files\WinRAR\rar.exe" a -ag+YYYYMMDDHHMMSS  backup -x*.rar
timeout /T 60
GOTO start

Last edited:
New Vegas with a bunch of mods.

Hmm… Hmm…

I don't know. There's something about the world and how it's handled that makes the whole thing "bland" for the most part. I don't particularly like the more linear approach - and I had the same reaction the first time I played it (I got to Vegas then).

The writing is miles ahead of FO3 - no doubt, and the hardcode mode is a great addition. But, I just don't feel compelled to explore the world - and it seems I'm much less motivated to do so. I'm feeling directed - and I actually prefer the broken DC environment to this broken down Western stuff.

I'll go on, based on all those many recommendations - but… I don't really enjoy it like I did with FO3 modded.

Still playing Starcraft Broodwar. The Terran misisons are long and involved for the most part. There's one with a time limit, not fun. Trying to finish the last Terran mission, and have been stumped. It's been frustrating. Seriously considering quitting. For the most part the expansion has been good and has some interesting gameplay twists. But this last Terran mission has a super ultralisk that respawns every few minutes and trashes my base, in parallel with attacks from 2 other bases. I barely have enough resources for rebuilding and VERY slowly upgrading defenses, much less afford to develop any offensive capabilities (or expanding to a new base). I get slowly (or not so slowly) bled to death and run out of resources. I REALLY don't like replaying missions, but I'll try one more time with what I have learned. Otherwise I may resort to cheats to get by. NOT liking this one bit.

Last edited:
Playing Kohan II, liking it so far. The first game - just couldnt get into it. This is one case where the sequel just looked so much better, and was reviewed as such, so I just couldnt get into the first one.

But this game is excellent, and you can see how later games (like the Dawn of War games) adopted the squad-based RTS model after seeing how well it worked here. I like micro, it's part of RTS, but I must admit the squad based version of not having to micro every single little unit is pretty nice. Lets you focus on the greater strategy picture and the formation of individual customized companies of troops. Cool formations too..

Also, the economy is based on buildings that generate income instead of a host of small workers - again i dont mind the former, but this hands-off approach to economy management is nice too.

Awesome graphics too, that's one area the original really fell short.

Yesterday I noticed there is a demo for Mass Effect 2 out there.
Never knew that. I must have missed it, somhow …
Well, anyway, I installed it, and played through the first "chpter" of it.
The *really* bad thing with it is, that the plot of the first game is told in the beginning. summarized, but complete. What kind of moron made this up ???
Now I'm spoiled. Yes. It's as if EA or Bioware explicitely wanted me to keep away from ME1 and never ever play it, to put it more sarcastically.

Well, I found the demo quite … irritating in some points. The UI strongly reminded me of Homeworld, and of what I saw of Deus Ex 3.

The "dialogue wheel" which apparingly has already become some sort of "industry standard", because the "Fairy" RPG has it as well, is there, too.

It uses so short words like "investigation", and the character DOES NOT say the word "investigation" to his companion ! - I already criticised this for the Dragon Age 2 demo, because these words are just too short - and imho too unclear - resulting in the character chosing words that NOT I have chosen, but the designrs - this is a failure to me, because I believe the player should still have the right to properly chose which lines he or she wants to use within the game …

This "dialogue wheel" with its abbreviated words is like … giving me a dish with in opaque soup in it, and the waiter says to me : "Soup". Or at least "Tomato soup", without specifying what's in it at all (there could be ingredients an allergic person cannot "stomach", so to say, but the plain description of "Soup" doesn't tell me that).

In general, I found the HUD very … impractical. I had to extend my fingers over the keyboard (although I as already using WASD ("WhAt iS iD ?" ;) ), and having to pause the game and manually click on the items I wanted to use didn't quite work for me in the pseudo-"tutorial" - apart from my drone not flying at all (I suspect because the pseudo-Tutorial didn't want me to).

In short : I found the HUD clumsy and didn't like it at all.

The fate of the player character reminded me strongly of Darth Vader at the end of "Revenge Of The Sith" - same body injures. So, argueing from that point of, if there ever was an Darth Vader RPG out there, Mr. Vader would have to start from leven 1 as well …

I hope everything I wrote here was more or less clear - sometimes I wasn't quite sure how to express my thoughts in he English language.

I still plan to buy ME1 one day - but not very soon, after this (personal) fiasco.

Well it seems I was able to adjust my build orders, defensive structures and positioning, and units to keep off the Torralesque (the mega Ultralisk) with only minor damage. Now I have a chance of building an offensive force. I did have to resort to consulting walkthroughs. :/

I should have been able to figure it out for myself. Basically, you exploit the poor AI and pathfinding. The trick would not fool a human player for an instant...

Last edited:
Thrasher, I remember the mission you're talking about. You have to kill three Cerebrates, right? It starts out pretty hard, but isn't all that tough once you get your defenses set.

I like to build a wall of supply depots around the outside of my base in missions like that. I set up barracks behind those, and then siege tanks. Plenty of SCVs on hand to repair the depots.

BINGO! :)

That's exactly what I read elsewhere, and it seems to be holding the monster back with minimal damage.

The key was also NOT to create a large perimeter, because there is not enough time. Also, LOTS of siege tanks in siege mode as soon as possible. About 1 for every (barracks/supply depot pair). Minimal to no unit upgrades (except siege mode) until the wall is complete.

Assasin's creed 2.

I had made a sacred oath not to buy this game because the shitty DRM schemes. Ubisoft is stil on my shitlist, but they were selling it for mere 4 euros. So I couldn't resist Devil's offer. Anyhow the DRM is still as horrid as they said. The game requires constant internet connection because otherwise the game won't save your progress. Isn't such a fucked up idea? My internet connection lagged at some point and ubisoft's launcher program was glitched as well. So I lost 3 hours of progress because I didn't notice that AC2 didn't send the info properly to ubisoft's server. Ubisoft is a one fucked up company.

Otherwise I love this game. :p It has many improvements compared to the first AC which I found somewhat tedious despite the wonderfull storyline. The dev team has really nailed the renaissance period like they did with the crusades. But there is so much more to do at this time and you can collect lots of new stuff like weapons, armor, clothes, treasures and other items. Sidequests and Mainquest have way more variety and lenght. Gameplay is honed almost perfect. Freerunning over Firenze's roofs can't get any more satisfying nor can those wicked assasination techniques or the stylish real like fighting maneuvers.

been playing empire earth 3, though i still need to get back to the first templar. the original empire earth and to a lesser extent its expansion ranks in the tops of my all time favourite rts games. the sequel sucked big time so i never even gave 3 a thought before. direct2drive though had it on sale though last week or the one before. its nowhere near the original, but the "world domination" aspect which is similar to the later dawn of war games, and some of the command and conquer games. but unlike those it of course have the different "ages". its fun to have the game broken up into turns where you do global strategy, research, build armies, improvements, etc. and then fight the battles afterwards. also i like how it gives you the option to either crush or assimilate the native tribes who then, in theory since i haven't been invaded yet, act as an ally or militia army (which you can also build as well). good times as i've been hurting for some classic rts gaming.

Neverwinter Nights Shadows of Undrentide.

Thanks, Good Old Games. But frankly, it seems more dated than even some older games I've played recently. The 3D aspect is OK, but a lot of other stuff suffers at the same time. Still, it's my favorite setting for a game.

Minecraft :).

Yay, Jaz! Look out tho, it can be very addictive....
Might be a good game for Sonny too

I'm still playing Kohan II:Kings of War. Got a game crash after like 1.5 hours of play last night - no save. Really bummed me out. Just went to bed after that. I'm usually really good about saving frequently, but Kohan has never given me any trouble, and things were going so well.... I really hate it when that happens!

I have to look at the bright side - at least I know that mission really well now ='.'=

Sonny has been playing Minecraft with me for the last hour :). Addictive for sure ... does anybody else hate those exploding bush monsters ... ?

Yeah, you have to be very vigilant when it comes to Creepers. When playing, I'm constantly doing 360 scans looking for them, they always seem to pop up over a ridge or something. And underground, make sure you always have a clear retreat path..

If youre decent with a bow you can keep them at bay pretty easily, and they dont explode on death so it's safe to plunk away at them at relatively short range.

Still playing Kohan 2 and installing both First Templar and Amnesia: Dark Descent tonight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom