The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I think what I like most about Rubber Soul is that for me it is where I can really start to hear the "turn" in their music, moving slight farther away from the "early" more pop sound, and more into the "late" Beatles sound, which really turned the corner with Revolver

Some of songs are a bit haunting for me (in a very good way), like Michelle. But the more standard rock and roll numbers (like "What Goes On") don't really do much for me.

My sister had this record so I was very familiar with it. My brother had the Stones and Floyd records. Very typical, I suppose. ;)

EDIT: Listening to those Beatles albums, I definitely hear some speed changes on some of the recordings. Whether that was part of the original recordings (on Rubber Soul), or not, it's definitely noticeable. Strawberry Fields was apparently constructed form multiple recording sessions, performed in different keys, that were later speed adjusted to match in key, before spicing them together for the whole song, adding to its strangeness, but not entirely intentionally. Funny accidental history of what was considered groundbreaking at the time, but may have just been drug-induced flakiness. :)

Last edited:
OK, here is one so obscure I'll be surprised if anyone has heard of this before. I still find this music near perfect for 1989. Donnete's vocals still entrance me, Steve Kilby's floaty backing so wonderfully complementary.

From the first Hex album named "Hex". Hex was Steve Kilbey of The Church and Donnette Thayer of Game Theory. The whole album/CD is wonderful but difficult to find.

Diviner
Mercury Towers
In the Net
Fire Island
Silvermine
Ethereal Message

ALSO: Related and not to be missed

The Church - Under the Milky Way

Last edited:
In my not-yet-started-and-not-likely-to-get-started series of music from bands with weird names, here's:

pibbur who is not sure where said kingdom is, but its folk tunes can be found on bandcamp

OK, here is one so obscure I'll be surprised if anyone has heard of this before.
You gotta try harder than that. Hex isn't that obscure. Indeed, good stuff. I do like Kilbey's work overall, although strangely I enjoy the earlier stuff from the Church over their Starfish-era stuff that everyone's heard. Such as:
"Unguarded Moment"

Ha ... on the subject of obscure - over the last several years I have been absolutely loving the work of soprano saxophonist Sam Newsome. His style is incredibly technical and innovative and beyond anything I've heard since the solo alto work of Anthony Braxton in the late 70s.

http://youtu.be/IJoiF7_qudk

Ha … on the subject of obscure - over the last several years I have been absolutely loving the work of soprano saxophonist Sam Newsome. His style is incredibly technical and innovative and beyond anything I've heard since the solo alto work of Anthony Braxton in the late 70s.

http://youtu.be/IJoiF7_qudk
This reminds me of a saxophone player I saw several years ago in one of those typical TV talent shows. At first he basically screws up because he decided to go "weird" and the judges simply asked whether he could actually *play* after which he got a 2nd chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQHKrHVfRMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNupsmF_PGk

This reminds me of a saxophone player I saw several years ago in one of those typical TV talent shows. At first he basically screws up because he decided to go "weird" and the judges simply asked whether he could actually *play* after which he got a 2nd chance.

I have no idea what they are saying about his playing, but I personally think that was some weird stuff lol. Very Mothers of Invention-esque

Obscure, as in not available on Amazon. ;)
Yeah, that release went out of print pretty much the day they printed it. I found a used copy once but the previous owner apparently mistook the disc for a frisbee.

I thought I posted this a couple days ago, but it appears that the post didn't take. Anyhoo, a surprisingly good live version of a great love song from a band that should have been much bigger than they were.
"Message to My Girl" by Split Enz

Currently making a journey in the past with Chuck Berry's Blues. At the moment Too much monkey business is playing but I'll jump directly to track 15 as I came here to listen to Back in the USA and Nadine (is it you ?) at first ! All of this gives me a strange feeling, some sort of nostalgia about a different America (sigh !).

Im glad I recently rediscovered his solo music

YES bassist Chris Squire dies

A sad reminder of all of our mortality ...

Squire was one of the guys who influenced my switch from guitar to bass back in middle school, before I really knew about jazz and fusion ... he was an amazing playing, unique in sound and style, and innovative in his genre and on the instrument ... and will be missed.

Very sad news for me. Without Anderson or Squire, I doubt the band will survive. We'll see. To hear his great bass playing, I'd recommend:

Fish (multiple multi-tracked bass parts)
Heart of the Sunrise (the solo spot near the beginning at about 0:30, plus other bits throughout)
On the Silent Wings of Freedom

More subtle, yet typically counter-punctual parts with their own distinct melodies throughout on the Close to Edge album, which is one of the reasons I think it stands out as one of their best overall albums to date.

Siberian Khatru
Close to the Edge

Also, not to be forgotten

Tempus Fugit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom