Risen 3: Titan Lords - Last Review Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Here is the last review roundup I will be doing for Risen 3, and the scores for most are negative. I'll let you all be the judge if their correct as opinions differ it seems.

RPG Codex - No Score

I doubt they will ever reach their past greatness again. This is made apparent both by the quality of their last two games, and by comparing the credits of Gothic 2 and Risen 3. Hell, even comparing Risen 1 to Risen 3 should be enough to draw the necessary conclusions.
The Gamers Hub - 4.5/10

Ultimately, Risen 3: Titan Lords isn’t that great. It does have its moments, but it certainly feels more like a chore to play through than a pleasure. If you consider yourself a fan of the series, or a serious RPG fanatic, then there’s undoubtedly some good content here to sink your teeth into. However, if you’re looking for a world to explore and just kill some time in – a la Skyrim – then this isn’t really the place for you.
3rd Strike - 5.5/10

Risen 3 as a game might work for some people and if you have played the first two games, you might give it a shot. We however have not been convinced about the game and hope that with a possible next installment Piranha Bytes will step up their game.
Hardcore Games - 95/100

Gamers who can see past Risen 3’s healthy measure of challenge and small handful of flaws will find themselves immersed in a dynamic RPG replete with compelling gameplay and a lively interactive narrative.
More information.

Agreed, I couldn't wait to be finished so I could uninstall the game. Clearly the worst game PB has ever made, especially the horrible combat.

As usual, a lot of bullshit being thrown around.

Besides some balance issues, Risen 3 is excellent. I have to question if some of these reviewers actually played the game for a significant amount of time.

At least Darth Roxor from the Codex played the game.

But his review sounds a lot like "disappointment in PB-Gothic-love" that fuels his anger.

I can't say I agree with the low scores at all. I'm not sure exactly what's going on here, and I simply can't pinpoint how a game this good can be treated so.

Well, I guess I'll just have to accept that what I love about it isn't too interesting to most people.

... or there is a silent majority that still enjoys the game for what it is. A good exploring game with some balance and combat issues.

The combat is silly. You can endlessly dodge-roll and let your immortal helpers do the work if you want. Or you can take a swing or two while they heal you. The fights are extremely repetitive. The sexy-pirate-clown sister and much of the voice work was ludicrous. You can "finish" quests by randomly killing things. "Hey, what's this thing?" Pick it up. Music swells. Congrats! You found a hard piece of shell! Quest Completed!!

Huh?

There were a lot of interesting parts of the game but after fifteen hours, I'm done.

I thought about my initial review of 7.8 to 8.5 and after a few days I have revised my rating to 8.3 to 9.2. (low B to low A)

I had some major quibbles with the game but I hold PB to a higher standard than everyone else. No, it wasn't Gothic 2 but it was still a fun game for me to play AND IT HAD FLYING.

I'll say it before, I'll say it again: this is PB's best game since Gothic 2.

-Sergorn

I've never completed a PB game until Risen 3, so I give it a nut's blessing as well. Fun game.

Almost as bad as Risen 2. PB has certainly lost the magic. Completely agree with the codex review.

Last edited:
Just finished it, awesome game. I could pick at stuff, like how it is waaaay too easy even on Hard, or that the final island and the closure of the game is too weightless to my liking (not that finales were ever their strong suite), but still, exploration and other mechanics are fantastic.

There's some really dumb reviews out there, most of them failed to see this game for what it wants to be and reviewed it as something else. There were several articles whining about how the game is too hard, and how it is not possible to sail the boat, and how this is unacceptable after AC4. I can't help but roll my eyes at this, as sailing the boat was a gimmick in AC, which, apart from the samey battles ended up being a chore, then everyone used fast travel. Besides, it was never in the scope of this RPG. Other "criticism" goes along the same lines.

It does not help either that retards like Angry Joe decided to loathe this game and the franchise for reasons beyond me. Lots of people who want to conform rather than form their own opinion feel obliged to mimic ignorant but loud, unprofessional "game critics".

Ah well, their loss I guess, I haven't had this much fun in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom