F:NV Fallout New Vegas thoughts

Fallout: New Vegas

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Fired up the new game last night and it's nice to see blue skies for a change. It seems like character animations are better too, at least in the couple hours that I got to look. I rolled up a character and turned on hardcore mode, just to see what it was like. It didn't take me long at all to trash that character and start over in normal mode. I don't mind needing to eat and drink, etc. but I would have expected it to be automated if you had the right stuff in inventory. It's too much micromanagement for my tastes otherwise. I want to play, not stop every 10 minutes to eat or drink or sleep. I can see this being a popular feature though for folks wanting a harder challenge. As I mentioned in another post, I've already had a minor betrayal, which was kinda cool. It looks like there will be a global inventory chest of some type too, which will be handy.

Now that the Geck has been released I'm sure we'll see several popular mods from F3 get converted pretty quickly. There is already a nudity mod! I might be interested in a carry weight mod, I'll have to play more to see. Since I'm not in hardcore mode, ammo doesn't have any weight. I'd love to see the pack donkeys from Nehrim make an appearance in FNV.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to go pick up a copy, although I won't be starting it for awhile. I'm really looking forward to playing the Hardcore mode.

If it seemed like you had eat, drink, etc. too often, it's probably because of the default timescale setting. In Fallout 3, the default timescale was 30:1, meaning that for every minute that passed in real time, 30 minutes passed in the game, and an entire day only lasted 48 minutes. I don't know what the default timescale is in NV, but I'm assuming it's the same. I'm playing FO3 with a timescale of 8:1, and it feels a lot more realistic that way.

I've seen some hilarious videos of some of the bugs in NV already...

I don't mind needing to eat and drink, etc. but I would have expected it to be automated if you had the right stuff in inventory. It's too much micromanagement for my tastes otherwise.

Sounds perfect for me. :D

I've seen some hilarious videos of some of the bugs in NV already…

I've heard that some of those videos are with a pre-release pirated version of the game. But whatever, I'm not accusing you of anything but it's more a comment on how people will complain about things they pirate...

Quest design sounds interesting, with choices and consequences between the factions. My interest level just went up a notch! But if you have to slog through tons of boring combat and slow loading screens....

I haven't really noticed any loading screens, though they could exist. One on one combat isn't real exciting most of the time, but there have been SEVERAL battles where I've lost and had to choose a much more strategic plan of attack.

I watched the live video streams when it was leaked late last week, and the loading screens were terribly frequent and slow. THIS was on a 360 though. Not sure if the experience would improve significantly on a decent PC...

I've only played for a morning or so (not including the two hours I spent fretting about my face) and I think it's good but they made a lot of changes that I think were unnecessary, particularly the running animation on the female model. Hate it. Also some sounds, like gunfire don't seem as punchy.

I like the Hardcore mode but I'm worried it's going to be essentially pointless because so far I've found tons of food and drink. What's the point of needing to eat and drink unless it's going to be somewhat hard to find? Also ammo and other loot seems to be quite plentiful, which is a disappointment. In F3 I always hated how abundant ammo and health supplies were, it took a lot of the challange out of the game. It looks like it will be about the same in this game too. But I haven't played it long enough to judge.

And just like F3 you get too much XP for things and level too fast. I'll be avoiding picking locks and hacking computers like I did in F3 as a way to slow my levelling. Disappointing.

Other than that it's great so far.

A high point so far was when some Powder Gangers blew themselves up trying to use dynamite to kill some bloat flies.

Another thing I just discovered is that crippled limbs don't seem to have an effect. I hit a couple of land mines and got my limbs crippled. One leg and one arm are completely stuffed, the other arm and leg are at about 50%. But if it weren't for the little "You've been crippled, find a doctor..." blurb I literally wouldn't notice. I'm not gimping, I can run as fast as I did before, and there is only a little swaying when I aim my gun.

I always looked at F3 and wondered why they even bothered with crippled limbs because they were so easy to heal with stimpaks, so I was excited to hear that wouldn't be the case with NV on Hardcore. But they've gone one better and apparently removed any effect of being crippled at all. Is it just me? Am I missing something? Admittedly I haven't been in a fight since being crippled so I don't know really how much my aim is off, but I'm definitely not gimping. Anyone else noticed this?

Sounds very interesting guys. I also read the whole thing posted by VDweller - nice topic, lots of good information. Looking forward to getting my hands on this.

Just started playing the game.

I managed to get crippled too and i noticed nothing. I am hoping, maybe, that my aiming skills will be reduced(crippled my hand). I really hope so.
And yea,i want less food and less ammo.
Finally, i like very much the fact that skill use is quite often. Makes me wonder what skill to raise later!

So far so good

I've heard that some of those videos are with a pre-release pirated version of the game. But whatever, I'm not accusing you of anything but it's more a comment on how people will complain about things they pirate…

What the hell does me mentioning a video have to do with pirating??

Here's what I was specifically referring to, and I'm pretty sure Gameguru Mania isn't using a "pirated" copy.

This again? I thought I read that they were slowing down how fast you level up.

BTW, I'm DOWNLOADING IT NOW from Steam!! Finally!! I was going to wait till the hard copy was released, but screw it I can't wait anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah I was initially thinking I was going to complete my replay of Gothic 3 first. I might have to ditch that idea..

Back
Top Bottom