Last game you finished, tell us about it

Sam & Max Season One, Episode 5: Reality 2.0
Loads of laughs, new areas, combat, and lots 'o 8-bit luv ;)

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Knights of the Nine (6/10)
Meh. Like the rest of the game, pretty much zero personal choice and bad storytelling that fails to rise any emotions making the actions done feel meaningless.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Knights of the Nine (6/10)
Meh. Like the rest of the game, pretty much zero personal choice and bad storytelling that fails to rise any emotions making the actions done feel meaningless.

I found it even more disappointing than the main game because I thought many of the areas looking so great and just brimming with possibilities ...

I found it even more disappointing than the main game because I thought many of the areas looking so great and just brimming with possibilities ...

I was watching the developer of Fable 2 talking about their upcoming game and he said something which striked me as something very true. Every game can tell a story, but the ones that end up really really good are the ones that deliver emotion, and some of the strongest emotions is love and friendship.

After playing MGS and MGS2 the hollowness of Oblivion was painfully clear to me.
In MGS even the tragic tales of the villians brings you close to tears, and every time you believe you know the story, it takes a complete U-turn. Looking back to the games I loved the most, emotion have always been there, and even when I forgot the end, I never forgot thoose emotions. The way I felt for my friends in games like Gothic, KOTOR, Planescape Torment and Baldurs Gate.... This is not only true to roleplaying games. Even games like Max Payne and Tomb Raider: Legends managed to deliver alot of feelings. Feelings of loss, about hatred and revenge, about friends, about love.

In Oblivion, all the feelings are null. I remember when Martin died, that was probably the only time I felt something, because unlike 99.9% of the oblivion's generated population, it was someone I remembered. Beyond that, No friends. No love. Generic villians without face, background or history. You do not fight for your friends, with your friends, for your country, for your world, because there's simply nobody who you care about.

Oblivion have more issues, but I think I should pinpoint that as the largest hole of the game.

Last edited:
You know, you're right and I'd never thought of that before!!

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: Shivering Isles (7/10)
Slightly more humorous than the previous content of Oblivion, and at least an attempt to give you choices that effects the outcome of the quests. Also a bit more memorable NPC's this time around. Still lack emotion and nothing you do feels important, and still no NPC's you have any reason to care about. Just like Oblivion however, most of it was boring. Nice scenery is the only reason to play the game I guess.

Spellforce 2 - Addon: Dragon Storm

If you like Spellforce 1 + 2 you'll love this one:

+ interesting story
+ the genre mix rts & crpg is more on the crpg side this time
+ a huge bag full of quests
+ new skills, new units
+ you get the "doing one more quest" feeling after midnight
+ much weapons, armors and equipment to find (armor sets, too)

- the last Spellforce game from the developer Phenomic :-(

Yet some more ...

Top Spin 2 (DS) (2/10)- imagine a DS game with 15 second load times! And laggy game play, and wonky controls ... wow that is crappy!

F-24: Stealth Fighter (DS) (5/10) - graphics right out of 1995! Cookie cutter missions - I actually had some fun but would be kicking myself if I had to pay for the game myself ...

Yet some more ...

Top Spin 2 (DS) (2/10)- imagine a DS game with 15 second load times! And laggy game play, and wonky controls ... wow that is crappy!

F-24: Stealth Fighter (DS) (5/10) - graphics right out of 1995! Cookie cutter missions - I actually had some fun but would be kicking myself if I had to pay for the game myself ...

I don't think I've ever seen a single review of a DS game that would make me want to buy that system. Can you play GBA games on a DS?

the last game?!? why is that, is phenomic going under or did they sell of the spellforce name.

I don't think I've ever seen a single review of a DS game that would make me want to buy that system.
Head on over to GamerDad and check out my reviews for Lunar Knights, Hotel Dusk, both Castlevania games, Metroid Hunters, etc ... there are some really awesome games there.

Can you play GBA games on a DS?

Yes, but I actually liked playing them in the 'DS Phat' better than the DS Lite since they don't stick out/.

the last game?!? why is that, is phenomic going under or did they sell of the spellforce name.

Neither. They don't own the franchise, JoWood does. Phenomic sold out to EA and will be working on something for them now. JoWood wants to continue the series, but they have no developer assigned at this point.

@HiddenX: great. Another game to add to my list that I'll never get through for years and years and years... :'(

@curious

Electronic Arts has acquired Phenomic, the old Spellforce team is now working on a new (unknown) rts-game.

Jowood has still the rights for the Spellforce-licence - they have to find a new development team for Spellforce 3.

txa1265;24833 Yes said:
So you can play all Gameboy games on a DS? I might just have to pick one up then.

btw: Isn't Metroid Hunter better known for it's multiplayer? Does it have any connection story wise with any of the other Metroid games?

Last edited:
do they own the name as well as the technology? i would imagine it would be a smart move if they did for jowood to have someone make another expanison as often times expansion are contracted out anyway. then if that developer does good enough they can continue the series in their style or in the case with the empire earth series run it into the ground and continue on towards the earth's core.

So you can play all Gameboy games on a DS? I might just have to pick one up then.

btw: Isn't Metroid Hunter better known for it's multiplayer? Does it have any connection story wise with any of the other Metroid games?

You can play all *GBA* games, but not link-ups. You also cannot play original GameBoy games, you need a GBA for that.

Metroid Prime Hunters is linked more to the GameCube series, and it has a real Quake-ish run&gun feel.

do they own the name as well as the technology?

To my knowledge, like most publisher-to-developer relationships, JoWood owns everything but the developers' souls (and maybe a few of them to boot).

Resident Evil 4 (8/10)
Decent actiongame with an uninspired chliché plot. The lack of continuity felt like the greatest turnoff in this otherwise well praised game. In one moment you are fighting infested villagers in a not so friendly rural area, the next time you are in a well kept, well decorated, expensively decorated castle that also have a cellar filled with lava and it's own rollercoaster system!? A large part of the game consists of chasing down gold coins, gold coffers, gold bars and combineable treasure, which you can sell at well scattered merchants. All of that removes the feel that you are playing a survival horror game and I do not know what's left of it. It's definitely not a scary game. Still a decent actiongame though.
Note: I also finished the Separate Ways expansion.

Last edited:
You should mention platform on the games, especially since some are multi.

Separate Ways isn't really an expansion, it's just a very short side story that shows some different aspects of the storyline.

Since you mentioned "Seperate Ways", then you obviously played either the PC or PS2 version.

I don't play very many console games as I've mentioned in the past, but I loved every minute of RE4. Sure it's not perfect,( I hated the traveling merchant system) but it ranks up there with Zelda: The Twilight Princess as the best console games(imho) that I've ever played. My opinion is biased though because I've always been a huge Resident Evil fan, just look at my avatar. :)

Back
Top Bottom