Risen 2 - Steam Preorders Open

$50 in the USA. Would have liked to see $40 personally. Skyrim, ME3 and Amalur are all asking $60 here, so they're not reaching as high as others... I'll probably pre-order but you get such ridiculously good deals on games for less than $10 these days that full price titles seem like they should really be doing new or amazing stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy it eventually, but I really don't get the why people are so fond of preorders. It seems like buying a pig in a bag to me, why not wait for at least the very first impressions before you giving your money? It's not like Steam might run out of copies and you won't be able to get it when you want it. As for the dlc, big deal... I'll probably get the lot cheaper anyway when the game inevitably goes on offer in a few days.

It seems like buying a pig in a bag to me, why not wait for at least the very first impressions before you giving your money?

I think a lot of us had a good impression based on the beta. :)

too bad this is available solely on steam , it looked like an interesting project . i will probably buy it if and when it will be available in a less limiting and annoying form.

£40 for a game thats chances are will be released as a steaming pile of bugs, don't get me wrong it will be a good game just buggy as hell for £5 more then skyrim or mass effect 3....... oooooook

UK / US gets it cheaper, like always :/ It's 50 euro here (same as Skyrim and other no-brainer titles).. Nah, sorry PB, i love you and all but no.. The previews so far arent that glowing, neither is the input from most of the beta players and PB doesnt seem to have responded to this criticism, that's a bit worrying. I just feel too uncertain about this game at this point to spend 50 euro - no way i'm supporting them if they fucked up because they decided to make it "accessible"..

£40 for a game thats chances are will be released as a steaming pile of bugs, don't get me wrong it will be a good game just buggy as hell for £5 more then skyrim or mass effect 3……. oooooook

No offense, but your excuse is only valid, if the only PB game you've ever played was Gothic 3 at release state.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy it eventually, but I really don't get the why people are so fond of preorders. It seems like buying a pig in a bag to me, why not wait for at least the very first impressions before you giving your money? It's not like Steam might run out of copies and you won't be able to get it when you want it. As for the dlc, big deal… I'll probably get the lot cheaper anyway when the game inevitably goes on offer in a few days.

It will probably take a couple of months before the game is available on sale. Personally I don't mind paying €50 for a quality game, which I expect Risen 2 to be, and I want to support PB (and I want to be a part of proving that there is a huge market for these kind of games).

The previews so far arent that glowing, neither is the input from most of the beta players

Hmm.. most of the other Beta players I've spoken to have said it's a Day 1 purchase for them. I know it certainly is for me. There were things I didn't like in the Beta, but overall it left me craving for more.

50 euros....hahaha no.

If it was 39, I would think about it. This is one of the few games I want on release because I like PB a lot. But...I will have to check out other digital shops to get better price. Greenman will hopefully step up.

no way i'm supporting them if they fucked up because they decided to make it "accessible"..

Accessible for a PB game though... I would say the lack of handholding, quest markers and scaling among other things still trumps most of the other major franchises out there ;)

Still waiting on the price from Amazon uk...

I didn't play beta but this is what I read on official forum:
"
Disappointing news about world interaction
Risen 2 previews are starting to show on websites and magazines, and I must admit I'm a bit concerned about some details.

First things first, it sounds like world interaction has been watered down in a fashion very close to The Witcher games.
No jump, no ability to climb everywhere, free camera in combat? These are changes that go in the very opposite direction of what I hoped, to be honest.
In fact, if anything, I was hoping for CD Projekt to take Risen as a model for their next games, not the other way around.
Being able to sneak, jump and climb anywhere, without invisible walls or unlikely architectural barriers, was for me a very big part of the immersion in Risen and in Gothic.

Then, no swimming. Seriously? You have the best possible setting to exploit underwater content in a very pertinent way and you cut out the ability to swim from the game? That sounds... disappointing.
I'm also quite disappointed with the new fast travel system. The old rune system worked very well in the previous games, it was a perfect balance between believable exploration and a way to speed up long travels; but now you are replacing it with a system inspired from TES series (click on places already explored in the map and travel to these locations) which is largely hated and a notorious immersion breaker. Was it necessary?

And last but not least... What's this thing with the new UI? Why according to a few videos around, opening a chest now loads a different screen? Why are you going from a comfortable grid inventory (Risen) to a typical, annoying console inventory based on menus?

I'm not going for a drama scene, and I won't deny I'm going to support this game anyway.
Also, I'm quite sure that even in the remote chance someone from Piranha Bytes would actually read this post and take note about my points, now it would be far too late to change anything... But I want to make clear that I'm not happy with these changes, and neither are any of the Risen fans I spoke with.

Please, don't water down what are your very strong points just for the sake of appealing... Who exactly? I'm not even sure."

Is it true or?

First things first, it sounds like world interaction has been watered down in a fashion very close to The Witcher games.
No jump, no ability to climb everywhere, free camera in combat?

No jumping? Whoever said that obviously didn't play the Beta, and they have no idea what they're talking about.

It's true that the camera isn't locked behind you like in their previous games, but I found it easy to adjust to. I'm still hoping they might include an option to lock the camera in the release version, but it's certainly not a deal-breaker.

Then, no swimming. Seriously? You have the best possible setting to exploit underwater content in a very pertinent way and you cut out the ability to swim from the game? That sounds… disappointing.
I'm also quite disappointed with the new fast travel system. The old rune system worked very well in the previous games, it was a perfect balance between believable exploration and a way to speed up long travels; but now you are replacing it with a system inspired from TES series (click on places already explored in the map and travel to these locations) which is largely hated and a notorious immersion breaker. Was it necessary?

They didn't cut swimming from the game. It was never there to begin with. I agree it's disappointing that you can't swim, but Risen 1 didn't have it either.

I don't get the complaints about fast travel though. If you find it immersion breaking then just don't use it.

JDR13

thx very much for clarifications :)

I am deciding now what to buy... special DE edition (chest, figurine) or Polish spec edition with wine barrel instead of chest....

I am deciding now what to buy… special DE edition (chest, figurine) or Polish spec edition with wine barrel instead of chest….

Do you know if either of those versions include English dialogue?

We're not getting any PC special editions over here. :'(

£40 for a game thats chances are will be released as a steaming pile of bugs, don't get me wrong it will be a good game just buggy as hell for £5 more then skyrim or mass effect 3……. oooooook

I will cost half of the original price in less than no time on Amazon - you can buy it there and activate on Steam.

You can't create any kind of character, you play a fixed role.

That's really disappointing. So it will be like Deus Ex or Witcher then, zero initial customization.

One of the reasons I liked ME series is that you play a fixed role buy you still can customize your charterer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom