Faery - Faery: Legends Of Avalon announced

its out today on gamersgate at least

It's on the official site's store too. Boxed version of the game is France only apparently, at least for now.

Would be nice if there was a demo, but it's only $15 so I'll probably just get it anyway.

Would be nice if there was a demo, but it's only $15 so I'll probably just get it anyway.

Reading console reviews it sounds very short and ends with a cliffhanger, so I'm pretty wary now. Gamespot says 6 hours and most of the game is fetch quests.

I ended up getting this anyway. Haven't gotten very far into it at all so can't comment on the length, but it's fun so far. I like the flying. Makes me wish more RPGs did more with the Z axis.

The DRM seems to be just a one time online activation. I didn't see any programs other than the game and Windows stuff running in the background. After I activated it I was able to play it without issue while disconnected from the internet also.

"PC download". Yuck.

Okay, the majority will be fine with it, to be fair …

I have the localized box version of this game, as far I know it's a short RPG with a casual approach, a relatively high production value, relatively short but aimed to have more short follow up if it sells well enough. I haven't install it yet.

We loved this game! The flying really adds another dimension to the fun of exploration, and made even the simple fetch-quests fun. It's an immersive world, and enjoyed my time in it w/ only some slight boredom in a middle stage aboard a ghost ship that was confusing due to lighting issues. The combat is light TBS, and the abilities that you get as your character levels depends on what physical morphs you choose. For instance, i gave mine a scorpion tail, which in turn granted her a poison sting type attack. I gave her horns, which enabled her a dual-fire ranged attack (where they literally act as a projectile attack!).

You must play it on a gamepad imo, it feels well suited to that. I personally wouldnt play it mouse/keyboard style.

You must play it on a gamepad imo, it feels well suited to that. I personally wouldnt play it mouse/keyboard style.

The PC version actually has 3 options for the controls, gamepad (if you have one plugged in), just the keyboard (WASD etc) or just the mouse. I agree the game is well suited to a gamepad, but in lieu of that the exclusively mouse controlled mode is not bad either. The keyboard controls I do find rather clunky and aren't ideal

Sounds good.

Where have you bought it ?

I thought I remembered reading somewhere the boxed version was France only for now but I can't find the link anymore.

The PC version actually has 3 options for the controls, gamepad (if you have one plugged in), just the keyboard (WASD etc) or just the mouse. I agree the game is well suited to a gamepad, but in lieu of that the exclusively mouse controlled mode is not bad either. The keyboard controls I do find rather clunky and aren't ideal

Is it MMO-style movement when flying? What I mean is you hold a mouse button to go forward and direct with the mouse itself.

Don't have the gamepad, seen pics and trailers (let's call it that way), this looks interesting and is not expensive. I'll trust Motoki that I can have fun with the mouse only too. :)
Says this on the download page:

- Gorgeous graphics packed in a unique atmosphere.

- Explore mythical and magical places, meet plenty of colourful characters.

- Battle in turn-based fights, in the pure style of classic RPGs

- Develop your character through victory: choose new spells, skills, and find new equipment/

- Recruit charismatic companions to help you in your quest!

I'm not expecting another Zanzarah (was that the name?) but will for sure share impressions on this here afterwards. Who knows, maybe it's a hidden jewel.
Sold, I'm downloading it.

Is it MMO-style movement when flying? What I mean is you hold a mouse button to go forward and direct with the mouse itself.

Yes that's how the mouse controls work. I don't really play MMOs so I suppose I haven't really encountered that style as much but it seems to work well with 3 axes, horizontal, vertical and up/down.

Yes that's how the mouse controls work. I don't really play MMOs so I suppose I haven't really encountered that style as much but it seems to work well with 3 axes, horizontal, vertical and up/down.

Yeah that's a cool movement scheme, Morrowind used it for water moving if I remember well. That sort of movement is limited, no dodge and no backward, but with TB fights it doesn't matter I suppose.

If someone could make a remake of Po'ed, <whining>, ie simple horizontal movements like Doom, plus a burst to up, add few cinetic, plus heights limits, and that's a great control scheme allowing a high level of 3D design, ie movement in 3 dimensions.

Yep, the combat is turn based so you really don't have to worry about dodging or moving during a fight. Actually, it's kind of refreshing to play a fully 3D game with nice graphics that's turn based. It seems to be rare these days.

the way that I control the game, I'm zipping around, stop, then elevate while rotating to get a view of the surroundings, then dart forward to where I want to go, stop, elevate/descend while rotating, zip forward, drop/elevate, zip forward... it's not unlike how Ive seen a hummingbird move. It really is a unique method of movement that I cant say I've ever experienced before. great fun

Press info on this title looks to be scant. I haven't heard much news on its release, and almost mistook it for Vogel's Avadon. Looks like it will be worth trying out though judging by the praise going on here. Too bad the boxed version is only available in France. I'll pick it up on Gamersgate then.

Finished it. Yes, I did.
Kinda short game… But I'll probably replay it…

Desc?
It's not Zanzarah as I've suspected, and it's not Aveyond in 3D (hehe, couldn't resist to say this).
There are plenty of quests, battle is turnbased, mobs are not respawning. Thank god for that.
No voiceovers, music is not dramatic but mostly "calming".
Graphics could be better I admit that, but for this kind of game I won't be nitpicking as it's a port (is it?) from consoles, besides all 4 big locations you'll explore are beautifully designed.
There are classic fetch quests, kill mobs quests, but also find a certain spot ones. Now… Searching for some objects (even mobs) can take you a long time in some cases… But you won't get bored. It happens that while searching for those spots often you'll find a chest that you previously didn't see because you rushed! ;)

I played the game on normal and never died. Actually in only one fight one of my sidekicks got KOed. Because of this I'll probably replay the game on hard.
Not just now, because the game is pretty short even when you solve all quests, it's too early to replay it, I think.

In any case I say this game is worth more than just 15$.

Back
Top Bottom