Fallout 3 - DLC Through Games for Windows LIVE

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Several sites are pointing to a short bit at VideoGamer.com with Microsoft and Pete Hines confirming Fallout 3 will be the first title provide DLC through the new Games for Windows LIVE Marketplace (catchy name, or what?):
Microsoft has confirmed that Fallout 3 will be the first title to offer DLC through the newly announced Games for Windows LIVE Marketplace.
Pete Hines, vice president of public relations and marketing for Bethesda Softworks commented: "Games for Windows LIVE helps us expand the Fallout 3 universe and bring the full experience directly to gamers. Through the Marketplace we now have a no-nonsense way to deliver updates and great downloadable content. It's really a complete package, and a great fit for Fallout 3."
CVG goes a little bit further, with Microsoft apparently saying new "quests, foes and weapons" are on the way:
Microsoft says the DLC will be the only way users can receive "the complete Fallout story, including new quests, foes and weapons."
More information.

Makes sense. Whoever was doing their DLC last time never did make it so the content could be used by anyone with Vista or 64-bit XP. Give Microsoft a turn.

Hey guys I'm a little confused Oblivions DLC was the horse armor or also mods like the flying dragon and Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul?

Does that mean if I created a mod, I wouldn't be able to sell it ?

Not usually, no. You would be using someone else's property to generate income - how are you going to organise their payment for that?

Let's say you wanted to charge for a mod created for NWN2. Wizards of the Coast are the license holders - they deserve a fee for using their property. You obviously used assets and properties created by Obsidian and/or Atari - they deserve a fee. Does Atari have agreements with external asset producers (other graphics, the music composer, the parts of the engine licensed from BioWare...) to have their products used elsewhere? How do they get paid? What if you used parts of the Community Enhancement Patch ( or similar)...do they get paid?

I'm sure there are examples out there but it's not easy.

I see.

So, creating games still goes the usual way ...

However, if an music artist does remixes of songs, or uses even samples, they are often (but not always, I think) allowed to sell them ...

Example is The Fugees using samples of Enya's Boadicea.

This is in principle the same to me.

I'm not sure what the licensing requirements are for a remixed song. However, the user isn't required to own the original to use the remix.

I see.

So, creating games still goes the usual way ...

However, if an music artist does remixes of songs, or uses even samples, they are often (but not always, I think) allowed to sell them ...

Example is The Fugees using samples of Enya's Boadicea.

This is in principle the same to me.

Sure...I'll bet the Fugees had to pay Enya a fee, or at least seek permission to use her work.

This isn't my area of expertise but in Australia, for example (and I'm sure everywhere) a body called the Australiasian Performing Rights Association collects fees and distributes them to the rights-holders for music. I work in retail, for example. Each of our stores pays ~$300 / month to APRA to distribute to The Fugees or Enya or whoever gets played over the speakers in the store because the customers can hear those songs.

Again, I'm sure there are examples of mods being charged for (aside from mods that have been "acquired", like Premium Mods). I don't think games are any different to anything else - just potentially more complex. A game like NWN2 might have many stakeholders.

We have something similar for music. It's called GEMA - and everybody hates it.

Yes, you're right.

If you want to sell your own creations it's simple - show Atari examples of your work - if they think it's good enough they'll form a contract with you so that they can sell your work through official channels as Adventure packs (like premium modules).

Whether Bethesda will go down that route or not I don't know.

Two or three, isn't it? Mysteries of Vaporwa--I mean, Mysteries of Westgate and the Wyvern Crown of something, the latter for NWN1. And Infinite Dungeons.

It's probably worth noting, though, that the people who make those formerly made modules and gained e-fame on the NWVault on an individual basis, for the most part, and formed as teams later. I also believe someone, like Adam Miller or whoever, was offered a contract with Atari (or Bioware?), but refused it. Stefan Gagne was also offered something but either declined or couldn't get it past Atari/Wizards due to his module not being set in Forgotten Realms. The HeX Coda was the one that might've been made as a premium module.

You make it sound like a common event. How many community-created Premium Modules have their been?
Five for NWN1, and two more were in the works. I can't think of any game that's had more professional level products from community members.

Witch's Wake is by Rob Bartel, a BioWare employee. Kingmaker is from Dan Whiteside and Cori May, both BioWare employees. Rob Bartel again lead Infinite Dungeons and I'm pretty sure Pirates was internal. (There may well have been assistance or assets from the community used - I don't know).

ID and PotSC used DLA content. You're right about Kingmaker though, so make that four ;)

Back
Top Bottom