Perhaps its time to stop covering Bioware

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
There's obiously a market for cRPG's that haven't disappeared. What exactly captures the spirit of cRPG's is difficult to pinpoint but I believe one of it's strengths are the diversity. cRPG's cater to many minds, the minmaxer, the grinder, the socializer, the stretegic mind, the puzzlesolver and the creative. These mindsets do not cease to exist due to market trends. They did not cease to exist when DOOM got popular.

Bioware are not a contender in the evolution of the cRPG market. They aren't a prophet for the new direction the cRPG's need to take. They aren't a voice in what's hot and what's not. They simply cater to a different mindset now with a different direction that is separated the future of cRPG's.

I believe it's time for RPGWatch and other RPG-community websites to accept that this is the case and stop covering them unless it's strictly RPG-related (which doesn't include Biowares recent opinions about why RPG's are no longer their direction).

Let them go.

Seriously? You started a thread about this? Are you bored?

You know as well as I do that if the game is RPG related then it might be covered. Might being the keyword in that sentence. For example: We covered Bioshock thoroughly and some Bioshock 2, but how much Bioshock 3 coverage do you see?

If it's popular with the people here then you'll probably see more coverage, but if it's "meh" like Bioshock has become then maybe a newsbit once in a blue moon.

Bioware are not a contender in the evolution of the cRPG market. They aren't a prophet for the new direction the cRPG's need to take. They aren't a voice in what's hot and what's not. They simply cater to a different mindset now with a different direction that is separated the future of cRPG's.

Wait what?!? O_O

Who put you in charge of what "future of the cRPG" is supposed to be? ;)

I'm split, personally.

I'm positive about stopping about Bioware's non-RPG games. Or EA, for that matter.

But I believe that "we" should still cover Bioware's RPGs. There's news about HOMM in the news section as well, and King's Bounty, too. Which are not really RPGs either.

And personally, I call the ME series as a new sub-genre : "Shooter-RPGs" ...

As yet another Ea brand i dont think bioware will ever again create anything that can really be called an rpg even if they themselves will lable it as such.
We now have Dragon Age and its awesome button, Mass effect the full motion video dating simulator and lets not forget their new company of heroes thingy.
The web is allready saturated with information on everything they do so i can see how a site dedicated to rpg's might want to skip them in the future.
I know i stopped paying attention to them sometime around jade empire.

You know as well as I do that if the game is RPG related then it might be covered. Might being the keyword in that sentence. For example: We covered Bioshock thoroughly and some Bioshock 2, but how much Bioshock 3 coverage do you see?

If it's popular with the people here then you'll probably see more coverage, but if it's "meh" like Bioshock has become then maybe a newsbit once in a blue moon.

Is Bioware popular here and are many of the recent news regarding Bioware (have a look) RPG related?

If your biggest worry is about the direction some video game corp or other might take with their games ... well, then you must be one happy person ^^.

Is Bioware popular here and are many of the recent news regarding Bioware (have a look) RPG related?

I'll say it again. More clearly it seems. If the game is RPG related and popular among our visitors then we will cover more of it. Just like we are continuing to cover this new Bioware offshoot. The second they show us that it isn't RPG related at all, is the day I will stop covering it. Can't speak for Dhruin, but I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. Even the not-so-popular RPGs get an appearance here like the roguelikes and Project Zomboid to name a few.

It's pretty much the same deal we give anybody. Show us a rpg that people here might be interested in and it gets posted. I could give a rat's ass who publishes or develops it.

So no I do not see Bioware as a whole being dropped completely. That would be idiotic. In the end who really cares who makes it? Sure names can mean something, but not with Bioware anymore. It will be the game that will be weighed. It will be measured and if it is found lacking then it won't appear here.

Same as before. Nothing has changed just because Bioware has gone off the deep end. It's the game that gets judged.

As for all the chatter about Bioware now well of course there is. This is all brand spanking new and hot off the presses. Come on Jemmy. You know all this. Are you really this bored….hell am I really this bored to be responding……..I guess I am. Screw that I'm going back to Terraria. Have fun here.

The other side of the extreme are the Action-RPGs by Blizzard, those which not a small number of people say/claim are not RPGs at all.

And those are covered here, too.
Because still, even although they resemble very little of "traditional" RPGs, they still have some parts of what an RPG constitutes of in them.

Imho the same reasoning could be applied for Bioware's "Shooter-RPGs".

(Interesting that these new sub-genres were invented by companies beginning with a "B" ...)

I think RPGWatch should only cover the RPGs I approve of. Of course, that includes the Dragon Age RPGs. That means me and JemyM should battle. QTE's at 20 paces. You in?

Skyrim is at least 10x as good as anything bioware has put out in recent years so it is only fitting it gets 10x the coverage bioware does.

I think RPGWatch should only cover the RPGs I approve of.

Then hand over your list.

Should the staff prepare an appendix to every newsbit saying "Now approved by darkling !" ?

they started going downhill ater jade empire

although they were always sh!t, they were less sh!t with KOTOR

Monty Python says : Life's a piece of BEEP, if you look at it.
So, where is the difference, actually ?

Back
Top Bottom