Fallout 4 - Best Setting Award

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Is that a new award? I guess if another game ends up getting GotY, then they wanted to honor FO4 somehow...

Seems like a made up award just so Fallout 4 doesn't go out empty handed I guess. And even then The Witcher 3 or Pillars of Eternity have far superior settings but whatever.

In any case I think most people will agree that Fallout 4's setting is pretty cool. It's the game itself that fails at taking advantage of it. If you think of it a little, the award itself reeks of "you had it all in your favour and you still failed at being an overall great game"

You can laugh as much as you like trolls, but it's Todd Howard who goes home with the "Best setting for 2015" statue. :p

It is the best and most realistic setting this year in a RPG. Nuclear war is more possible then witch hunters with magic sign powers :)

This years PCGamer awards are clearly made so every major game gets something so nobody leaves empty handed and "complaining". Not to be taken seriously in my humble opinion.

Fallout 4 best setting? There was a reason why Fallout did not get much recognition in most websites/shows this year. It's not bad, i personally think it's a decent game, but it definitely isn't award material.

The question is why Fallout 1 didn't get the award back then. ;)

Fallout 4 is just a repetition concerning the setting.

Ahahahahaahahahhaahahahaha

Seems like a made up award just so Fallout 4 doesn't go out empty handed I guess.

Pssstttt... all awards are "made up".

PCGamer gave "ultimate" GOTY to MGS5.
Since MGS5 cannot be GOTY by any normal logic in any universe, they started to make up new categories as they go.
Next we'll see PCGamer's best poo award.

It is the best and most realistic setting this year in a RPG. Nuclear war is more possible then witch hunters with magic sign powers :)
I would say that Fallout 4's setting isn't really any more realistic than Witcher 3's because it depends on time rolling back to the 1950's and everything taking a completely different path. Which is just as likely to happen as witch hunters with magic sign powers. Fallout 4's setting is closer to RL, though, so easier to identify with it. Not sure that makes it a better setting though. Probably the opposite actually, at least for my tastes.

Well, all jokes aside, I don't see realism as number one priority in FO4.
It more follows "there is something exciting to be found behind every corner!" than relies on plausible geography, ecology or settlement design.
Coming Kingdom of Deliverance is shaping up to be the most realistic open world game we've had so far and I'll wager a lot of people into Betsy sandboxes will find it very boring.
You don't stumble on a bear vs. wolves death match every twenty meters in the forest. ;)

There is actually a funny/interesting article from the devs of that game, that adresses some of those issues.

https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com/de/blog/posts/a-lesson-in-cartography-in-potato-land

I'm even more baffled by the fact that for PC Gamer MGS5 is the absolute GotY award. PC Gamer already had little credibility but now it went sub-zero.

Seems like a made up award
Pssstttt… all awards are "made up".
Some more than others…..

lol All true, though I think "Best Setting" is a valid or worthwhile award category.

Still I don't think Fallout 4 by any means should get it, and if it were to deserve it then it would be more of an indication of how poor the competition is rather than it being worthy of it, resulting in it just sucking the least, which I don't think is the case anyway.

Fallout 4 best setting? There was a reason why Fallout did not get much recognition in most websites/shows this year. It's not bad, i personally think it's a decent game, but it definitely isn't award material.

Fallout 4 is like a student taking a subject they don't care about and will only do what they consider "good enough" to get a passing mark.

No such thing as BEST setting.... the wording is just stupid... you like fantasy I like steampunk .. tastes are different..... you can rank settings by originality.. for example the MOST ORIGINAL setting

Seems like a made up award just so Fallout 4 doesn't go out empty handed I guess. And even then The Witcher 3 or Pillars of Eternity have far superior settings but whatever.

In any case I think most people will agree that Fallout 4's setting is pretty cool. It's the game itself that fails at taking advantage of it. If you think of it a little, the award itself reeks of "you had it all in your favour and you still failed at being an overall great game"

I'm with you on the first part. But Fallout 4 is still a great game…it just isn't as totally revolutionary as Fallout 3. Still, Fallout 4 is truly great IMO…it just gets a bit crushed under its expectations.

But anyway, the Witcher 3's setting is about 10 times more complex and nuanced than Fallout's. Best exploration goes to Fallout 4 for sure, but best setting, as in game world, easily goes to Witcher 3 IMO.

I'm not really sure what they mean by 'best setting' as their arguments mostly revolve around what you can do in the world and not the setting itself. So why is it 'best'?

For an open world game, I think it would make most sense to define 'best' as most realised, as in most alive and belivevable.

I'm still not sure why it would deserve it's own award though.

Back
Top Bottom