Favorite level or area in a game?

D

DArtagnan

Ok, if you had to pick a level or area in any game of your choosing, which would be your favorite - and why?

Ok, if you had to pick a level or area in any game of your choosing, which would be your favorite - and why?

I think mine remains the town of Kuldahar in Icewind Dale 1. It hasn't been surpassed by anything close so far, and I don't really expect one to come around and surpass it. It's just godly beautiful. The music, and 2D are. Just gorgeous.

Moria in LoTRO. They nailed it. The best dungeon I have ever crawled. The rest of the game was a letdown after experiencing that perfection.

Old Sebelis or Guk in Everquest. Hmmm I must have a thing for frogs. Favorite in PnP was Keep on the Borderlands. Was first adventure I ever went on and I have loved RPG's and CRPG's ever since.

Stormhold in EQ2 vanilla. EQ2 was my first MMO and it was the first contested dungeon I experienced in that game. That place was brutal in terms of mob difficulty and layout. It took me a while to figure out the layout of that place. We died so much in there and in those days you had to get your corpse back! Good friends were made in there and we pretty much played the whole game together for few more years after that.

Probably... Rivervale in Everquest. That zone exuded warmth and joy.

Most of my runner-ups would be other MMO variants... though The Glow from Fallout 1 was truly riveting.

Speaking of Everquest, I loved loved loved Unrest. Loved the whole haunted house motif, the mobs were interesting and the weird stuff people trained to zone was always interesting to me as a lowbie. Exploring it and getting to the lowest area was a thrill, Everquest will always be the pearl of my online gaming experience.

Hmm... when I saw the title I thought I'd be able to name loads of levels, but when I actually thought about it there weren't very many that stood out. I might have to think about this one for a while.

Grouts Mansion and the Ocean House Hotel levels from VtM: Bloodlines immediately leap to mind, but how often do you get stuff like that?

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Pelagiad and Suran in Morrowind. Both stand out as really cool little towns. Dagon Fell's not bad, either.

Hmm...

As for most memorable: Probably the first area of Gothic 1 from the entry point to the mountain path winding down towards the oldcamp. It was incredible back in the day to see this beautiful seamless open world unfold before one's unbelieving eyes. 'twas a historical moment 'twas I tell ya that ;) .

Other than that... many areas in SWG. The game was crap but the world building team did an awesome job. There were so many beautiful places way out in the boonies on many planets... Corellia, Naboo, Tatooine, Dantooine, Dathomir, Endor... lots and lots of very atmospheric views and places.

Here.... I have attached some SWG screenies (2003 graphics):

Attachments

• screenShot0256.jpg
    screenShot0256.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 74
  • screenShot0240.jpg
    screenShot0240.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 73
  • screenShot0221.jpg
    screenShot0221.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 74
  • screenShot0264.jpg
    screenShot0264.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 73
  • screenShot0278.jpg
    screenShot0278.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 73
  • screenShot0056.jpg
    screenShot0056.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 14
Zones that will stick out in my mind forever basically all three come from Everquest One. In no particular order: Kedge Keep, Unrest, and Guk. I spent literally months of real life time in each of these areas, and when I visit EQ One these days, I still swing by these areas.

My favorite view was right after leaving the boat in Seyda Neen in Morrowind. I saw the huge Silt Strider and then turned around and noticed the two huge moons in the sky. It was an incredible moment, that I'll remember forever.

Favorite dungeon goes to the Arachnoid Caverns in Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra. It had a remarkable little riddle that forced you to go around and find several different items and characters and then do some math. In the original release, one part of the riddle was written incorrectly, making it impossible to figure out the right answer :) This was long before the days of the web. I remember calling John Van Caneghem and he gave me the correct answer over the phone. Back in those days, a real human answered when you dialed a number!

Eh...anyone remember ocean hotel in Masquerade Bloodlines? Really well designed, especially for it's time.

My favorite view was right after leaving the boat in Seyda Neen in Morrowind. I saw the huge Silt Strider and then turned around and noticed the two huge moons in the sky. It was an incredible moment, that I'll remember forever.

Seyda Neen and Balmora from Morrowindare two of my favorite places too. There is something melancholy about those two places!

Thats the same feeling I had when I created my first character in Everquest (dwarf cleric) and left Kaladim into the Butcherblock Mountains and turned around and saw the giant dwarf statue over the city entrance, before beating my first skeleton with a wooden club. In 1999 it blew me away with the graphics and freedom to play with others in a 3D environment. And to think I played for a few years with a dial-up modem!

My most memorable little sections of a game would probably be the Ocean House Hotel in VtM: Bloodlines and Lvl 9 of Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, where my whole party was wiped out by mostly ninjas after spending months and months getting a party down there. So sad and its haunted me to this day lol

My brother killed my party in Wizardry when he got surprised by a bunch of gas dragons. Was the highest lvl I got a party at the time. That was before I figured out how you could save your party with that little cheat at the beginning. Still pissed at my brother to this day. :)

The ninjas were bad asses. They could one shot you right?

Maybe the mining colony in gothic 1. It was just absolutely breathtaking to explore it first time. And to narrow down our focus a bit, the old camp in gothic 1 is absolutely my favourite single location in the game. It felt like a real thing. Something you could imagine to be real. The place had a life of it's own. I remember just admiring how the npcs interacted with eachother and how they carried on their daily tasks. Every part of old camp had a purpose.

An other great location which left me speechless was Shamanzaar in Outcast.. So beautifull and breathtaking and yet so alien. I just absolutely loved exploring it and trying to understand this weird alien culture and figuring out where the heck I was :)

I like the question, because it caused me to have a sudden rush of memories of bits of games I'd totally forgotten about. Choosing a favourite though, is another matter.

Hmmmm....,many come to mind, but the first thought I had was of the desert vista in DDO at sunset with a tinge of red in the sky which was almost totally filled with this gorgeous full moon while stars freckled the sky. Absolutely spectacular!!

Rome in AC:Brotherhood.

Back
Top Bottom