Witcher Playing it, finally.

The Witcher
Let me see Witcher-potions=half-wit...

Got it.

There is more to the combat than what you detractors are saying!

For one, you need to have the correct stances going and it indeed makes a difference in the way battles play out. In groups of enemies, often I am flipping around between group/strong/fast to meet the flow of the battle. I'll for example leap over foes, switch to a different stance, and finish them off individually. Then switch back to group and wade into the group and be wailing on them as a whole next. If I chance to knock them all down with a spectacular attack, it gives me another chance to single out a particularly strong/fast opponent with a finishing move while he's down.

There's also the "signs" you can throw during battle, basically the magic system, which can totally turn the tide of the battle.

I dont get the complaint, are you saying that it should be some simplified one-left-click-then-swing-away-til-death system? I think the sort of rythmn-based thing works well, it sets up a sort of ebb and flow of the battle which feels more natural than just sitting there banging away on each other while gulping life potions or getting a heal from a party member. I think that approach is more catering to the "instant gratification crowd", while the Witcher system takes a little more planning and skill.

I dont know about you guys, but once Geralt really gets going and he's in his higher-tier "maelstrom of death" mode and all you see is blood and sword flashes, it's pretty damn impressive sight to behold. Far better than sitting there swinging away like Itchy and Scratchy imho
is_ani.gif

Last edited:
An interesting opinion, as it is so different from my own impressions. The witcher is not the most polished game I ever played, and as a free form exploratin game its appeal is limited (but it never claimed to be such a game, either). What struck me though was the very lively gameworld. Yes, the duplicate characters are a distraction, but at least they look good, unlike most Oblivion characters. But there is a real feeling of busy townlife, there is plenty of very good animation work, and chatter that actually makes sense and doesn't become repetitive as quicly as in most other games. Overall, the best "living world" I have seen since the Gothics. Then there is Geralt, which is one very unique character, and in that sense beats the shit out of the nameless hero. It is certainly story driven, but in the best sense - the stroy is well delivered, important characters are increasingly fleshed out, and best of all, there are some real choices to make. The quests also seem to become more freeform as I go along (chapter 3 now).
Graphically I am quite impressed by the game, and I never noticed anything about the hands, hmmm.

I play on 'hard', I enjoy the combat for what it is. I like it better than most combat systems out there however I'm extremely jaded in that area. My current measuring stick is Severance: Blade of Darkness, there simply hasn't been a better combat system made to date, IMHO. So, while playing games such as The Witcher, I usually cut them some slack since they have so many aspects of the game to focus on including the combat system. As long as they make a reasonable attempt, which I believe CD Projekt Red has done, at a decent, enjoyable, combat system *and* have a worthwhile storyline, atmosphere, etc. I'm good.

That said, and as a 'twitch', I think it's one of the better games I've played in awhile regarding combat. I felt like a witching machine when I stun killed the Beast, and proceeded to bathe in the blood of my foes well into chapter two without a hitch. I could definitely see the rewards of my hard earned, and well spent, attributes as well as proper use of potions, lore, and blade coatings.

Just my opinion, of course.

There are some genuinely nasty boss fights coming up near the endgame, though, so if you can't handle these, The Witcher may not be the game for you.

I didn't get the hints what to do and i am no fan of such game design.

And sadly i come to realize that the length of the game isn't in my favour. I really lost motivation in the fedex quests i chapter IV. So i agree with you PJ. This game isn't for me! :) - so i will leave you all to discuss the positive side and exprience this game has brought to many of you! it isn't a bad game, just not for me.

And by no means I say that the game sucks, or is worthless, or anything. What i am saying is that this type of game design isn't my cup of tea. I like the ACT II detective part. That was up my ally. In chapter III i got lost with hints to stuff i never did, good friend with Dandellion which i didn't remember. But its more my experience that made some dumb turns and it got me on the bad side of the game.

Back
Top Bottom