Edge Of Eternity - Why Use Kickstarter

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Midgar Studio's next update for Edge Of Eternity answers a few questions for backers about why the developer used kickstarter, and how they will be using the funds.
We saw many questions about the financing of the project and about our goals considered by some of you as kind of low compared to other projects.

First thing important is that we are not proposing a project “to be” that will start with the funding. This new EoE project is on for more than a year now. There is still a lot (really a lot) to do to provide you the full game we have in mind, but a lot has been done already too. We developed an internal framework that now allows us to be very efficient and productive and we are also using technologies like Unity that are a real time saver for developers.

Another very important point is that the core team, the 4 of us, is already funded through the investments we got (personnal, family and friends) and previous missions. Midgar Studio exists since 2008 and we worked hard for external customers to build up the budget that allowed us to start Edge of Eternity.

So what is the money for then?

Well, our small team built what we believe are strong basis for Edge of Eternity but of course we need some reinforcement to make it the great game we want.

Our stretch goals are calculated to fulfill specific missions and answer specific needs. They are based on estimated workloads distributed on the dev time of the project.

The first 44k$ are mostly meant to bring more art into the game. We will use them to add talents to our animation and character design team. It will also give us some resources for a part time writer that will work on dialogs, sub-quests and stories and make planet Heryon even more living.

The second goal at 60k$ answers to the 2 to 3 months dedicated development needed to provide you PS4 and Xbox One versions. More coding/programming skills will be added to the team with a new team member specificaly in charge of consoles versions.

The third goal would allow us to spend some game design time on Nekaroo Breeding and would also give us some budget for more time of our new artits and programmer friends.

It is the same for the fourth goal that would give us budget to develop a special craft system and even more art and coding time, as well as writting.

All the upcoming recruits we are mentionning are already around. They know about the project and even give an hand on their spare time from time to time. They are in the starting blocks, fully operationnals.

Finally, the last goal is, as you know, meant to fund our partnership with M. Mitsuda that will propose us around 10 pieces of music including the opening, main theme, character themes, battle themes…
More information.

Thanks for keeping us posted on this one, Couch...^.^

Maybe I'm missing something, but does that mean they will spend 90.000 $ for a spell-checker? :biggrin:

Nice project though!

I backed it but I'm considering 'unbacking' it. I have a golden rule with KS I back, and that's that they have to be at least medium sized developer groups. I backed this one when I saw the video pitch, but now that I realize it's only 3 or 4 people, I'm seriously reconsidering it.

Looks like they made the second stretch goal, multiplatform with PS4 and Xbox One. That made me decide to cancel my pledge. A team of 4 people making a game of this magnitude, and doing it in 4 different platforms? Sorry, I wish them all the luck, but I'm not putting my money on that bet.

Back
Top Bottom