Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim - Officially Announced

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
XSEED has officially announced they will be releasing Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim on Steam for PC players. It was originally published by Konami on PlayStation 2 & PSP.

Here is the new trailer, and details from the developer.

Formerly only available in North America on the PlayStation®2 and PlayStation®Portable systems, Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim delivers a storyline rich with memorable characters and themes on top of engaging hack-and-slash action RPG gameplay that would go on to influence later Ys titles, setting the foundation that series favorites Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin were later built upon.

Complete with the original high-resolution graphics and full USB controller support, the PC version of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim introduces brand-new features exclusive to this PC version that aim to create a modernized gameplay experience more in line with later Ys entries. Among these features are full widescreen support, the ability to warp among checkpoints, and an optional “Catastrophe Mode” in which healing items can’t be purchased or stored and are instead used automatically on pickup.

Developed by Nihon Falcom, Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim is scheduled to launch worldwide this spring on PC via Steam, the Humble Store powered by Humble Bundle, and GOG.com. This game has not been rated by the ESRB.
More information.

Its an JRPG series that is over twenty years old, and more popular than some WRPGs.

Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_%28series%29
Ys is a series of Japanese role-playing video games, and Nihon Falcom corporation's flagship franchise. It started on the NEC PC-8801 in 1987, created by Masaya Hashimoto (director, programmer, designer) and Tomoyoshi Miyazaki (scenario writer). Ys is the most popular of Falcom's games.

Ys titles have appeared on the X1, X1turbo, MSX2, FM-7/77, FM-77AV, NEC PC-9801, X68000, Master System, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Famicom, Super Famicom, Nintendo DS, PC, Apple IIGS, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, TurboGrafx-CD, Mobile phone, and the Wii's Virtual Console service.
I would recommended getting used to seeing more of these games as Steam is opening the door for more JRPG developers, and I can't wait to play more JRPGs on the PC.

Last edited:
I dunno why is Ys series marked as RPG.
For all I know it's just a series of platformers that have a few RPG elements.

I've always been curious about these, but never tried one of them. Where is the best place to start with Ys?

I dunno why is Ys series marked as RPG.
For all I know it's just a series of platformers that have a few RPG elements.
The series is closer to old beat'em all games (good guess Gloo) but I agree that even by JRPG standard they have really few RPG elements. It doesn't mean the games are less enjoyable :p .

I've always been curious about these, but never tried one of them. Where is the best place to start with Ys?
I played Ys I & II a long time ago (on DS I think) and a bit of Origins on PC. If you want the best experience from the start I guess you should start with the later ones (Felgana or Naphistim) otherwise if you just want to start at the beginning Ys I is short and a good showcase of what the series can offer.

I played Ys I & II a long time ago (on DS I think) and a bit of Origins on PC. If you want the best experience from the start I guess you should start with the later ones (Felgana or Naphistim) otherwise if you just want to start at the beginning Ys I is short and a good showcase of what the series can offer.

Seems that Felgana is the one I've heard of the most, so might as well start there.

I'd much rather see Etrian Odyssey come to pc. I've heard lots of good things about it.

They are fantastic. Pretty much the main reason why I own a DS and 3DS. They are more like Wizardry 1-7 than any game since...well Wiz 1-7. (Except maybe Elminage Gothic).

The only complaint I've ever heard about the series from old-school CRPG fans are the anime graphics, especially some of the overly cute-looking PC portraits. If you can get past that however, it's an amazing series.

Yeah, Neph, I'd definitely recommend starting with Felghana. It's kind of what everyone agrees is the best entry point, and I definitely agree. :)

I find it odd that people would want to start with Felghana. It's a remake of Ys III and takes place after the events of the first 2 games.

I've always been a stickler for playing a series in order though.

I see your point...^.^ I feel like the gameplay is the most accessible in the series, though, for someone that's unfamiliar with Ys.

That's just my opinion, though. :)

I have played The Ark of Napishtim on PSP, when I didn't have any other game to play. I can't say it was time well spent, considering that I'm not a fan of JRPGs anymore. If you are interested in solo action JRPGs with a plot suitable for teen audiences, you may find it somewhat interesting, but even by JRPG standards, it is not a memorable game.

I'm not a fan of JRPGs anymore.
I wasn't fan of jrpg at all believing it's all plain grind with something oversized and the story cliche always containing someone who'll betray the team, then somehow I got myself a nice and shiny Valkyria Chronicles and I became instafan.

But then… Am I really jrpg fan or great games fan?
Dunno. All I know that based on what I've saw on Steam minitrailers, I'm not interested a single bit in Ys games.

Hrm. Ys has a special place in my heart as it was one of the absolute best games I played back on the TurboGrafix 16. It was platoform/action/with a smidge of RPG (uh, not quite MetroidVania, not sure how to describe it). I have seen the series on Steam lately and have been meaning to check it out.

I wasn't fan of jrpg at all believing it's all plain grind with something oversized and the story cliche always containing someone who'll betray the team, then somehow I got myself a nice and shiny Valkyria Chronicles and I became instafan.

But then… Am I really jrpg fan or great games fan?
Dunno. All I know that based on what I've saw on Steam minitrailers, I'm not interested a single bit in Ys games.
Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. I cannot say that I liked it's story and settings, but I enjoyed its gameplay, a lot. The Ark of Napishtim is very different. The plot is light hearted, similar to Valkyria Chronicles, but the gameplay is neither as innovative nor interesting. It is generic hack n slash JRPG. And you may have to do a little grinding, too.

Back
Top Bottom